My list of questions about Spectre

FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
edited November 2015 in SPECTRE - Bond 24 (2015)
After seeing it a 5th time it still feels like a near perfect Bond film. However, there are a still a few things I don't quite get. (some of these are very minor)

Why does Bond know that Max can also be called C? Why does Bond insist on calling him C as if it was somehow insulting?

Why would Tanner look so surprised that Bond didn't take his hand over the slippery section. Then overact as he stares at his own hand dumbfounded that Bond wouldn't take it. That was just bad directing IMO.

Towards the end of the film we see an aerial shot of the London Eye and Big Ben and yet the filmmakers still feel the need to add the title "London" as if we didn't know!

I can't understand what Madeline is saying when she explains why she doesn't like guns. A 9mm under the sink by the bleach? What does bleach have to do with it?

Blofeld's story about visiting Madeline's house seems oddly redundant, but unrelated to the above story. Why does Blofeld emphasize that he remembers? Of course he remembers.

Why is it so bad to play the tape of Madeline's father committing suicide? It didn't reveal anything that Bond hasn't already told her. And why didn't Bond disable the surveillance camera upon entering the cabin? He obviously noticed it!
My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK

Comments

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Not destroying the surveillance system after visiting Mr White must have been the worst mistake 007 has made in over 50 years! It doesn't make any sense, it shows Bond as unprofessional, and has caused a lot of tragedy.

The other points you raise are not something that would cause me any problems - the huge plot holes made such small things insignificant for me. Near perfect Bond film? Not for me...
  • mr jenziemr jenzie Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    there's no reason to take out the cameras in mr white's house, and bond has no idea it would be used in the way it was
    unfortunately the use of CCTV in the craig movies MIGHT have pricked his mind about them :p

and it was seeing "the choice" that bond gave that caused her to go in a massive girly huff :D

madelaine swann hates guns because she had to use one when she was young, sans in her story to bond on the train ..... was it on the train?
    Mr White divulged a big secret to Bond, allowed it to be recorded by his own surveillance system, and then killed himself. What a stupid idea. White should know what SPECTRE is about and should either provide Bond with the information out of reach of cameras and microphones, or should have erased the records before killing himself. Why kill himself in front of Bond anyway? Bond should have destroyed the records as a matter of professional precaution - how could he let secret information remain recorded and available to whoever found the body? This is the single piece of bad scriptwriting that lets down the whole movie - I would be able to forgive the other plot holes, but not this.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Mr White divulged a big secret to Bond, allowed it to be recorded by his own surveillance system, and then killed himself. What a stupid idea. White should know what SPECTRE is about and should either provide Bond with the information out of reach of cameras and microphones, or should have erased the records before killing himself. Why kill himself in front of Bond anyway? Bond should have destroyed the records as a matter of professional precaution - how could he let secret information remain recorded and available to whoever found the body? This is the single piece of bad scriptwriting that lets down the whole movie - I would be able to forgive the other plot holes, but not this.

Craig's Bond simply isn't a good agent. He's done stupider things and makes big mistakes in every film. People these days also consider perfect characters to be poor writing. Fleming wrote plenty of faults into his Bond, but his Bond also didn't so consistently make huge mistakes.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Sure, but it's note really about a perfect character, it's about basic professionalism. And when you pair this with White's carelessness, you can see the real culprit - bad scriptwriting. It could have been avoided quite easily - Bond torches White's house, but SPECTRE had installed a bug in his house and listen to the conversation anyway...
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    I wouldn't call it a plot hole. Traditionally, this is reserved for something that can't be resolved within the logic of the story. Think of the thugs in the 1989 Batman waiting for him in the cathedral when there is no way within the story to explain how they got there. That's a plot hole. More recently, people have used to term -- or perhaps misused it -- in popular context to simply mean anything they don't like. That Bond doesn't make sure the surveillance tapes are erased would not be a plot hole, but just a silly thing for an agent to do. So, I agree it's bad scriptwriting. But the story certainly can continue with Bond doing something stupid. One thing to consider, though, is in this reboot version of Bond, he's not the same guy exactly we've seen before. He certainly has many of the traits, and more so in this film than before, but he's still not the same agent, and we could argue that this one is meant to be less capable in this respect than his doppelganger. However, I think it's really just the poor quality of screen writers today. They don't seem to have much depth of instinct when it comes to story, but rather learn some formula about a script structure and then overlook meaningful details. It doesn't seem to stop their success or the films from making money, so no one really cares, but quality is, in my opinion, suffering terribly.
    Firemass wrote:
    After seeing it a 5th time it still feels like a near perfect Bond film. However, there are a still a few things I don't quite understand:

Why does Bond know that Max can also be called C? Why does Bond insist on calling him C as if it was somehow insulting?

Why would Tanner look so surprised that Bond didn't take his hand over the slippery section. Then overact as he stares at his own hand dumbfounded that Bond wouldn't take it. That was just bad directing IMO.

I can't understand what Madeline is saying when she explains why she doesn't like guns. A 9mm under the sink by the bleach? What does bleach have to do with it?

Blofeld's story about visiting Madeline's house seems oddly redundant, but unrelated to the above story. Why does Blofeld emphasize that he remembers? Of course he remembers.

Why is it so bad to play the tape of Madeline's father committing suicide? It didn't reveal anything that Bond hasn't already tell her. And why didn't Bond disable the surveillance camera upon entering the cabin? He obviously noticed it!
    Believe it or not, I've not managed to see Spectre more than once, so my answers may be a bit hazy on these.

I asked the same question about Denbigh. I've gotten many thoughtful answers, though I still think it was just bad writing.

I'm not opposed to Tanner's reaction, though it does seem to suggest he's something of an idiot, which he is not.

Swann's story about the sink and all that suggested the level of threat she grew up under, as well as how she later became so aware of how to handle such threats.

I didn't mind the idea of Blofeld visiting Swann's house -- in a lot of ways, it makes sense -- but it's just another version of lazy storytelling, where expository dialogue is given instead of an actual scene.

The whole scene with White and Bond, to me, is written terribly, with missed opportunities for something meaningful. I, too, wondered why Bond was so worried, beyond the general idea that a daughter would not want to see that. But this is the daughter of a super criminal who has grown up in the climate of what that means. So, I don't understand why she would somehow be portrayed as an innocent, nor what in the scene was really so implicating for Bond, other than that he went in pursuit of their common enemy, which as you suggest, she already knows.

The bottom line: A lazy, underdeveloped script.

But, they threw enough money and action in to help us overlook it.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Jag wrote:
    I wouldn't call it a plot hole. Traditionally, this is reserved for something that can't be resolved within the logic of the story. Think of the thugs in the 1989 Batman waiting for him in the cathedral when there is no way within the story to explain how they got there. That's a plot hole. More recently, people have used to term -- or perhaps misused it -- in popular context to simply mean anything they don't like. That Bond doesn't make sure the surveillance tapes are erased would not be a plot hole, but just a silly thing for an agent to do. So, I agree it's bad scriptwriting. But the story certainly can continue with Bond doing something stupid. One thing to consider, though, is in this reboot version of Bond, he's not the same guy exactly we've seen before. He certainly has many of the traits, and more so in this film than before, but he's still not the same agent, and we could argue that this one is meant to be less capable in this respect than his doppelganger. However, I think it's really just the poor quality of screen writers today. They don't seem to have much depth of instinct when it comes to story, but rather learn some formula about a script structure and then overlook meaningful details. It doesn't seem to stop their success or the films from making money, so no one really cares, but quality is, in my opinion, suffering terribly.

I use the term to describe a logical inconsistency in a story. Therefore, I think it well covers the incident at White’s house. Real spies are taught not to leave traces during the first week of training, so something like this for an agent with a licence to kill in inexcusable and unexplainable. We’re not talking a fingerprint missed, but full audio and video – and quite possibly in HD too! When I was watching the movie at the cinema and Hinx entered the house, this one was thing I would not have expected, and thinking about it really ruined the rest of the movie for me. Can you imagine Fleming writing something like this?
    It's not a logical inconsistency. You just expected the character to do something different. But what he did was certainly within the realm of possibility, even if it seems idiotic. A true plot hole is when this isn't possible. For instance, if Bond had gone to see White after he'd already disposed of himself, but then the video later showed them having a conversation. There would be no way to reconcile this error within the story. Another issue would be if in Skyfall, we were told that Bond was raised solely by his great aunt, but in Spectre, the sequel, we're told the contradictory information that Bond was raised in part by Oberhauser.

This is how the concept has been defined traditionally. However, as I said, in popular terms, especially on the Web, people apply it simply to things they don't agree with. It's similar to the misuse of "canon" and "continuity," especially among Star Trek fans.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I didn't think the thing about Bond calling him C made sense. It would have been fine if that was just a thing Bond did, he was the only one to calls him C, but everybody calls him C. So, it's an official title? But, in thi world, doesn't M stand for the first letter of the name of the person? If so, shouldn't he be D?
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I didn't think the thing about Bond calling him C made sense. It would have been fine if that was just a thing Bond did, he was the only one to calls him C, but everybody calls him C. So, it's an official title? But, in thi world, doesn't M stand for the first letter of the name of the person? If so, shouldn't he be D?

Agreed - I wondered if they changed the character's name at the last minute and simply forgot this.

About the gun under the sink with the bleach - Swann is leaving what happened next unsaid ( that she shot a man) - because she finds it repugnant. That's why she hates guns. IMO :D

Agreed with Gassy Man, it's not a logical inconsistency, it's a flaw more to do with the scriptwriting than anything else.

And the reason Hinx finds Bond so quickly is because the maguffin in the latter's blood stream allows him to be tracked, no? :D :p
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm only guessing here ( as it's never stopped me before ) ;)
    That an average audience would assume, that "C" was to be the
    Designation for the head of the new service ? So it makes sense to
    Me at least, being a " Casual Fan" :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Jacko1967Jacko1967 Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    I believe it is meant to invoke the "C" word, as it's known in the States. Isn't that word more commonly used in UK? I'm pretty sure Bond is dropping a backhanded insult to Denbigh.

Firemass wrote:
    After seeing it a 5th time it still feels like a near perfect Bond film. However, there are a still a few things I don't quite get. (some of these are very minor)

Towards the end of the film we see an aerial shot of the London Eye and Big Ben and yet the filmmakers still feel the need to add the title "London" as if we didn't know!

Why is it so bad to play the tape of Madeline's father committing suicide? It didn't reveal anything that Bond hasn't already told her. And why didn't Bond disable the surveillance camera upon entering the cabin? He obviously noticed it!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Yes, that's the joke ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    About the gun under the sink with the bleach - Swann is leaving what happened next unsaid ( that she shot a man) - because she finds it repugnant. That's why she hates guns. IMO 

Yeah, that much I understood. Just can't figure out why the bleach was important to the story? As if "under the sink" isn't a precise enough location. I'm actually surprised she wouldn't just have a gun in her bedroom.
    My current 10 favorite:

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    About the gun under the sink with the bleach - Swann is leaving what happened next unsaid ( that she shot a man) - because she finds it repugnant. That's why she hates guns. IMO 

Yeah, that much I understood. Just can't figure out why the bleach was important to the story? As if "under the sink" isn't a precise enough location. I'm actually surprised she wouldn't just have a gun in her bedroom.
    "C" has always been how the head of mi5 was referred to after Capt Mansfield Cummings, one of founders of the British secret service the other founder was a man named Kell and was referred to as "K" so in spectre bond Is using a traditional reference for Denbigh and also the in joke of c word. And Denbigh is a total c**t.
    I think referring to the bleach is just trying to normalise the gun in her house and life.
    Also Bond films are an international affair and some people I'm the world may not know the London landmarks, so the screen text us deemed necessary.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    nd Denbigh is a total c**t.

Audiences laughed when M says "and now I know what C stands for"

but then the laughter stops when he says "careless"
    My current 10 favorite:

Chriscoop wrote:
    "C" has always been how the head of mi5 was referred to after Capt Mansfield Cummings, one of founders of the British secret service the other founder was a man named Kell and was referred to as "K"

Is that common knowledge?
    My current 10 favorite:

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I think referring to the bleach is just trying to normalise the gun in her house and life.

+ 1 - that was my take on it too, it's the kind of thing people say in real life. IMO it rings true like real-life dialogue. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Chriscoop wrote:

+ 1 - that was my take on it too, it's the kind of thing people say in real life. IMO it rings true like real-life dialogue. -{

That's how I took it as well.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    "C" has always been how the head of mi5 was referred to after Capt Mansfield Cummings, one of founders of the British secret service the other founder was a man named Kell and was referred to as "K"

This is incorrect.

Charles Mansfield Cumming was head of MI:6 when it was founded. Since then every head of MI:6 has been referred to as 'C' and in the tradition of Mansfield Cumming, they also use green ink to sign documents. It was also Mansfield Cumming that introduced the Royal Doulton bulldog into the office, and that has also been there since.

The head of MI:5 is and always has been called the Director General, or DG.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

a) Why does Bond know that Max can also be called C? Why does Bond insist on calling him C as if it was somehow insulting?

b) Why would Tanner look so surprised that Bond didn't take his hand over the slippery section. Then overact as he stares at his own hand dumbfounded that Bond wouldn't take it. That was just bad directing IMO.

c) Towards the end of the film we see an aerial shot of the London Eye and Big Ben and yet the filmmakers still feel the need to add the title "London" as if we didn't know!

d) I can't understand what Madeline is saying when she explains why she doesn't like guns. A 9mm under the sink by the bleach? What does bleach have to do with it?

e) Blofeld's story about visiting Madeline's house seems oddly redundant, but unrelated to the above story. Why does Blofeld emphasize that he remembers? Of course he remembers.

f) Why is it so bad to play the tape of Madeline's father committing suicide? It didn't reveal anything that Bond hasn't already told her. And why didn't Bond disable the surveillance camera upon entering the cabin? He obviously noticed it!

Let me attempt to answer your Qs:

a) C = Co-M (As in Co-President)

b) Doesn't matter

c) Spectre is designed for international audiences who may not immediately recognize the landmarks (Would you know they were in Tangiers by just looking at the landmark which a local would have identified). Also it is about being consistent as they referenced other cities as well

d) That's a way of conversation. It sounds better than simply saying "I shot someone so I don't like guns"

e) Blofeld feels connected to Madeline as well. He is trying to emphasis that everyone in the room is connected to him and which is probably why he is not simply putting bullet in them

f) Because it is hard for someone to see their parents shooting themselves up / getting killed. It leaves bad images in the mind. It is basic courtesy as well
    edited November 2015
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Firemass wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

This is incorrect.

Charles Mansfield Cumming was head of MI:6 when it was founded. Since then every head of MI:6 has been referred to as 'C' and in the tradition of Mansfield Cumming, they also use green ink to sign documents. It was also Mansfield Cumming that introduced the Royal Doulton bulldog into the office, and that has also been there since.

I may stand corrected, I forget now if Cummings was in charge of internal or overseas ( which later became mi5 and mi6 respectively) I think overseas therefore mi6 the codename K was used after Vernon Kell in the sister agency. But not in recent history I think.
    Firemass wrote:

There is also the fuzzy connotation that bleach is often used to clean up blood after a shooting. I suppose if one has seen enough police procedurals, this becomes second nature, but the line could use more to make the connection because many people keep bleach there simply as a matter of course.
    Also your point about Blofeld visiting Madeline's... I took this as meaning he was there when men came to kill her father and she was forced to shoot someone, therefore Blofeld was responsible for Madeline's mental scar.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Also your point about Blofeld visiting Madeline's... I took this as meaning he was there when men came to kill her father and she was forced to shoot someone, therefore Blofeld was responsible for Madeline's mental scar.

Blofeld is responsible for everything.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

This is incorrect.

I may stand corrected, I forget now if Cummings was in charge of internal or overseas ( which later became mi5 and mi6 respectively) I think overseas therefore mi6 the codename K was used after Victor Kell in the sister agency. But not in recent history I think.

Victor Kell founded MI:5 at the turn of the last century, but even he was known as the Director General. The 'K' thing is unfounded and there is no evidence of that whatsoever.

Out of all the 'secret services' in the UK, only two have had leaders who were known by a letter. 'C' - Mansfied Cumming (MI:6) and 'M' - Colin Gubbins (S.O.E.). SOE was where Fleming got Q-Branch and M from, but he intertwined his fictional 'M' with the head of SOE, MI:6 and John Godfrey head of Naval Intelligence and his boss during WW2.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Craig's Bond simply isn't a good agent. He's done stupider things and makes big mistakes in every film. People these days also consider perfect characters to be poor writing. Fleming wrote plenty of faults into his Bond, but his Bond also didn't so consistently make huge mistakes.

That's the impression I get of his Bond in SF and SP; Calamity James (bit more forgiveable in CR and QoS).
    Matt S wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Oh yes...the author of all our pain!
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Oh yes...the author of all our pain!

I'm surprised Blofeld didn't say that he was responsible for Bond's parents' deaths. There's no way he wouldn't have been in this universe.