Spectre ring on a budget question

Now that there are all kinds of ebay sellers of the Spectre ring where is everyone getting theirs? Is there a seller that everyone is going to with a good replica of the film. I saw the 007.com ring and I like it but it's pretty pricy IMO.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    I bought three versions of the SPECTRE ring and have been meaning to write up a review with some pics. I got the official one from 007.com and one from one of the prop makers here who did a very limited run. Cheapest one though was this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-James-Bond-007-Stainless-Steel-Ring-Prop-accurate-Men-/401046613149?var=&hash=item5d603dac9d:m:mNVm5mY4-2SUSNJarZaRXlg

The seller says its stainless steel, but compared to an actual stainless steel one the weight is too light. It appears to be chromed, with whatever as the base component. But the mirror finish looks great and the octopus logo is the best one of the three rings I have IMO.

Great for display, I just wouldn't recommend wearing it as I bet the chrome finish will come off super fast!
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    I have the same ring as Skippy's ebay link above and I am very happy with it.
    Interested to read that Skippy finds the octopus logo to be the most accurate.
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Interested to read that Skippy finds the octopus logo to be the most accurate.

Not the most accurate (badly wrote my OP) just the version of the logo on the three rings I have that I like the most.

I know some people say the official 007.com ring version logo isn't SA, but given it appears exactly the same as the SPECTRE octopus logo impressed on the SPECTRE Royal premier official programme, its good enough for me :D
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    I too own the replica from the ebay link... great piece for the price.. my plan is to weather mine up to appear battered and bloody for display.. I have the large iMax movie ticket with DC in the day of the dead skull mask which I plan to incorporate into the display set up.. just a matter of finding time to work on one of my own projects ! ( I stay pretty much covered up building custom scale Indiana Jones accessories.. so finding time to build something for me is a rare thing !)
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    I bought the ebay version mentioned here and was pleasantly surprised. I think it is stainless steel, as I have done some work on it and have bevelled the edges and it looks stainless through and through.

It was high gloss when I got it and I've used a file and different sandpaper grades to get this far. The edges were too straight in my opinion and needed to be rounded more to get more screen accurate.
    It does look a little bit better in real life... I'm no photographer :s

This is what mine looks like up to now.....

P1100575.jpg

P1100577.jpg
  • RedDawn289RedDawn289 Posts: 146MI6 Agent
    Very nice, do you wear it?
    RedDawn289 wrote:
    Very nice, do you wear it?

Yes...I've worn it a few times! Never know... may need it sometime to get entrance to a secret meeting lol B-)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    {[] Very well done, mm007! {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    {[] Very well done, mm007! {[]

+1 -{ Pleasantly surprised by your endeavours with it mm007, although I won't be attempting the same myself as I prefer the shiny new look! :D
    Thanks guys.
    I think its turned out ok for a $25 ring.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    brilliant weathering... I need to get mine out and work on it this weekend.. yours looks brilliant !
  • MMLMML IrelandPosts: 72MI6 Agent
    I bought the ebay version mentioned here and was pleasantly surprised. I think it is stainless steel, as I have done some work on it and have bevelled the edges and it looks stainless through and through.

It was high gloss when I got it and I've used a file and different sandpaper grades to get this far. The edges were too straight in my opinion and needed to be rounded more to get more screen accurate.

P1100575.jpg

P1100577.jpg

That's the same one I got... what you did looks absolutely perfect! Tempted to give it a go.
  • RedDawn289RedDawn289 Posts: 146MI6 Agent
    MML wrote:

P1100575.jpg

P1100577.jpg

That's the same one I got... what you did looks absolutely perfect! Tempted to give it a go.

Perhaps you could post step by step instructions
  • agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    Skippy wrote:
    I bought three versions of the SPECTRE ring and have been meaning to write up a review with some pics. I got the official one from 007.com and one from one of the prop makers here who did a very limited run. Cheapest one though was this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-James-Bond-007-Stainless-Steel-Ring-Prop-accurate-Men-/401046613149?var=&hash=item5d603dac9d:m:mNVm5mY4-2SUSNJarZaRXlg

The seller says its stainless steel, but compared to an actual stainless steel one the weight is too light. It appears to be chromed, with whatever as the base component. But the mirror finish looks great and the octopus logo is the best one of the three rings I have IMO.

Great for display, I just wouldn't recommend wearing it as I bet the chrome finish will come off super fast!

I Have that same ring since 27 October and wear it day and night also at work, it's scratched and batterd but it still looks good.
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
    Well I stand corrected on the quality and hardiness of the eBay ring then. Seems for design, quality, size option and price, it has to be the best value for money SPECTRE ring out there {[]

Still love the size and heft of the 007.com ring though :007)
  • Number SixNumber Six Station GPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    I've got the same ring from eBay and I'm extremely satisfied. I've been wearing it daily since October 26 and it looks as good as new.

I recently found out the same seller now has two new versions of the ring:

Blofeld's gold ring:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spectre-James-Bond-Oberhauser-007-Blofled-Ring-Prop-Gold-Ring-Titanium-/161984300615?var=&hash=item25b7044647:m:m5UBki5Z3jR0seAB_EXoFlA

Silver ring with weathered effect:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spectre-James-Bond-007-Ring-Prop-Sliver-Ring-Titanium-Weathered-effect-/161984370179?var=&hash=item25b7055603:m:mu71ovL9_G1ROiJj0uJ1HvA

Has anyone bought any of these?

I might grab Blofeld's one if it ever becomes available again in my size.

P1100575.jpg

P1100577.jpg
    Great job! I wish I could do all this myself. :P
    I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Yes. I have the original, polished ring and have added both the gold Blofeld ring and the titanium weathered ring. I am very happy and impressed with all of them. I certainly recommend these rings and the ebay seller. {[]

image.jpg
    Wow, they do look incredible. Thanks for the picture, UNCLE27. They look much better than in the seller's pics!

Now I'm tempted to by the weathered one as well. It looks better, and perhaps more screen accurate, than the polished version.
    I meant to post these earlier... I also bought all three of the rings from Moviememo on Ebay. They're the best out there in terms of accuracy IMO. They're beautifully made with sharp, crisp detailing. I originally just bought the polished one, but got the gold and titanium ones as well. The titanium one does look a lot closer to the prop.

If you're on the fence about buying, I'd say go for it!

hjLVpTK.jpg

B7idFdI.jpg
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for another great pair of pictures, MML. The rings look magnificent! I'm almost certain I'm going to buy them both...

EDIT: ... And I just did! :D
    Number Six wrote:
    Thanks for another great pair of pictures, MML. The rings look magnificent! I'm almost certain I'm going to buy them both...

EDIT: ... And I just did! :D

You will not be disappointed! :)
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Must..... resist..... innu....endo
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    MML,

I have to say, I admire your shiny ring. How much did you splash out on your ring? And when you slide your finger in your ring, is it tight or loose?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm a child :)) :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) we're all schoolboys who never grow up. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    IanT wrote:
    MML,

I have to say, I admire your shiny ring. How much did you splash out on your ring? And when you slide your finger in your ring, is it tight or loose?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm a child :)) :))

Ut9IWoK.jpg
    I also bought the new version of the Ring from the Ebay seller, Fast delivery as always and the ring is Brilliant, The size and thickness are as Screen accurate as any other ring out there.
    I've also started working on this one as the "aged" look that they offer is basically just Brushed Stainless steel and not as used as the screen seen one, so I've started aging mine as I did the last one.

P1110189.jpg

P1110202.jpg
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    That's sharp - can you link us to the specific seller, as well as your aging technique?
    That's sharp - can you link us to the specific seller, as well as your aging technique?

Here's the link to the ebay item
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/161984370179?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460941981063&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As to my ageing technique.. thats not so easy to explain, I just start and get a feel for it but I can say what tools I use.... I use a file to round the edges of the ring, then go onto a mix of 320 and 600 corned Sandpaper, and hit it with small screwdrivers to add small pits and deeper scratches.