Re: Bond 25 Director

HowardB wrote:

Nolan on the other hand would probably be like "ok...Bond theme, check; pre-title sequence, check; gun barrel opening, check; cut it for a PG-13, check; now Barbara leave me alone and let me make my Bond film.

Sounds perfect - sign him up  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

The only reason I mentioned John Glen was because I feel some magic in Bond was gone after that Licence To Kill hiatus.  Maybe my taste in movies hasn't matured over the years as the series has matured.  I like Campbell and Mendes, but it's not the same.

Sir Miles wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Nolan on the other hand would probably be like "ok...Bond theme, check; pre-title sequence, check; gun barrel opening, check; cut it for a PG-13, check; now Barbara leave me alone and let me make my Bond film.

When will this pining for Nolan stop?  ajb007/crap

Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
HowardB wrote:

When he stops being a first-rate action dirctor who's a lso a Bond fan?  ajb007/shifty

Oddjoblofeldraxorin wrote:

The only reason I mentioned John Glen was because I feel some magic in Bond was gone after that Licence To Kill hiatus.  Maybe my taste in movies hasn't matured over the years as the series has matured.  I like Campbell and Mendes, but it's not the same.

My take on Glen is that he's a workmanlike director. Given the right boundries and assest he will make a good movie on time and on budget, but he'll never make a truely great movie. This is why I wish Ridly Scott made LTK.

Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

When he stops being a first-rate action dirctor who's a lso a Bond fan?  ajb007/shifty

But he's not a first rate action director, and Bond shouldn't be considered an 'action' series. Plus, his films are colourless, soulless and humourless, so we'd get an anaemic Bond film if he was to direct one.

Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:

But he's not a first rate action director, and Bond shouldn't be considered an 'action' series. Plus, his films are colourless, soulless and humourless, so we'd get an anaemic Bond film if he was to direct one.

You are of cource entitled to have your own opinion, just as the wast majority of the audience and chritics are alowed to keep having the other opinion  ajb007/biggrin
To be fair, Nolan doesn't do humor. I think this isn't really a loss for a movie or two.

I honestly  can't see anything wrong with Nolan as a director   ajb007/martini  I absolutely loved his
Batman films, and can't understand  it when I'm told  HE can't do action.  Everyone can
hold different  views but, I rate Nolan, highly  as a director.  Although I think he's too big
a name for Bond. Instead of it being a Bond film, it would become "A Chris Nolan Film " .

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

Number24 wrote:

My take on Glen is that he's a workmanlike director. Given the right boundries and assest he will make a good movie on time and on budget, but he'll never make a truely great movie. This is why I wish Ridly Scott made LTK.

I think the Glen Bonds succeded in as much as they did in spite ,of and not because of him. A journeyman at best in my view.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:

You are of cource entitled to have your own opinion, just as the wast majority of the audience and chritics are alowed to keep having the other opinion  ajb007/biggrin
To be fair, Nolan doesn't do humor. I think this isn't really a loss for a movie or two.

I occupy a middle ground as far as Nolan is concerned,not pining for it, but feel he could do a good job if given the chance. There is a danger that he's too much of a fan boy to take a fresh look at Bond, but I could live with that. At least it wouldn't be Mendes slumming it

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:

Vast majority of teenagers, perhaps.

And take humour out of Bond and you lose a crucial element of James Bond. But as you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
HowardB wrote:

When he's directed one !

Just because you don't like him that doesn't make him a bad director...yours is just one opinion in billions...

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:

Don't forget sexless!

Can John Glen still direct?

I think it's arguable whether he ever could  ajb007/insane

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Cruel, Loeff, cruel....

Nolan did The Dark Knight trilogy..... so let's see him make The Blofeld Trilogy!

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:

Vast majority of teenagers, perhaps.

And take humour out of Bond and you lose a crucial element of James Bond. But as you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Many critics like him too, it seems. Metacritic is a website that aggregates reviews of music albums, games, movies, TV shows, DVDs, and formerly, books. For each product, a numerical score from each review is obtained and the total is averaged from the most influncial  critics - about 40 for movies. Batman Begins got a score of 70/100, TDK got 82/100, TDKR got 78/100, Inception 74/100, Interstellar 74/100. These are high scores for action movies. To compare CR and Skyfall got numbers in the low 80's, SPECTRE and QoS got 60 and 58. So Nolan is well liked by critics and I spent too much time finding these numbers .....  ajb007/lol

Barbel wrote:

Cruel, Loeff, cruel....

...Understanding, of course, that opinions and mileage vary  ajb007/wink  I understand he has his fans, but I'm not one. He was a carpenter, IMO, in a milieu that deserves a sculptor.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Sir Miles wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

When he's directed one !

Just because you don't like him that doesn't make him a bad director...yours is just one opinion in billions...

Who said I don't like him? I enjoyed Inception, TDK, The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento. But he's not right for Bond. Just as George Lucas or Paul Greengrass aren't right for Bond.

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Number24 wrote:

Don't forget sexless!

Indeed.

MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:

When he's directed one !

Who said I don't like him? I enjoyed Inception, TDK, The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento. But he's not right for Bond. Just as George Lucas or Paul Greengrass aren't right for Bond.

That was the general tone of your posts about Nolan especially...

MarcAngeDraco wrote:

Plus, his films are colourless, soulless and humourless, so we'd get an anaemic Bond film if he was to direct one.

I thought that gave it away somewhat  ajb007/lol

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

To meit's worse that Nolan's movies are sex less than the problem that they lack humour.
I saw the description (I think of Nolan ...) : He was a carpenter, IMO, in a milieu that deserves a sculptor.
to me that's the perfect descrition of John Glen

Sir Miles wrote:
MarcAngeDraco wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

When he's directed one !

That was the general tone of your posts about Nolan especially...

MarcAngeDraco wrote:

Plus, his films are colourless, soulless and humourless, so we'd get an anaemic Bond film if he was to direct one.

I thought that gave it away somewhat  ajb007/lol

Well, we know what they say about those who assume...  ajb007/wink

Number24 wrote:

To meit's worse that Nolan's movies are sex less than the problem that they lack humour.
I saw the description (I think of Nolan ...) : He was a carpenter, IMO, in a milieu that deserves a sculptor.
to me that's the perfect descrition of John Glen

Well, one just needs to look at the pool side scenes in FYEO, OP and TLD to realise that Glen's films aren't sexless, not to mention having a Bond girl named Octopussy. Then you delve deeper (no pun intended) and see how Bond uses a woman's sex appeal to get out of a jam in TLD (Pushkin hotel room), the entire character of Lupe Lamora, seducing Magda, Lisl, and well May Day, Bond focusing on Pam as she undresses, a female Octopus cult, the camera pan over Stacey in AVTAK as she tries on the goon suit at the mine, etc. etc. The list is endless. John Glen's Bond films sexless? I don't think so.

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

Loeffelholz wrote:

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

No, someone said Nolan's films are sexless and I agree. Glen's are not sexless.  You also said about Nolan that he is a carpenter when a sculptor is needed. I disagree, but I think it's a perfect description of John Glen.