51

Re: Bond 25 Director

Number24 wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

No, someone said Nolan's films are sexless and I agree. Glen's are not sexless.  You also said about Nolan that he is a carpenter when a sculptor is needed. I disagree, but I think it's a perfect description of John Glen.

Ah yes - I misread your comment. Carry on!  ajb007/smile

Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

52

Re: Bond 25 Director

Number24 wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

No, someone said Nolan's films are sexless and I agree. Glen's are not sexless.  You also said about Nolan that he is a carpenter when a sculptor is needed. I disagree, but I think it's a perfect description of John Glen.

I'm pretty sure the carpenter line was about Glen, not Nolan. I think Glen was a very skilled carpenter. A carpenter can build something useful and practical. A sculptor can make something beautiful, but it doesn't have the same usefulness as what the carpenter builds. I have much more use for a carpenter's work than a sculptor's.

53

Re: Bond 25 Director

I (partly) disagree. a Bond director must af cource be abel to run the huge operation that a Bond movie is.He must also be skilled craftsman. But look at Skyfall and the scenes in Macao and Hong Kong. That's artistic moviemaking and I doubt Glen would be able to make something like that. I think the Bond movies are better for it.

Just for balance I must mention that TLD and LTK are among my favourite Bond movies, so there is a lot to be said about Glen.  ajb007/bond

54

Re: Bond 25 Director

Number24 wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

No, someone said Nolan's films are sexless and I agree. Glen's are not sexless.  You also said about Nolan that he is a carpenter when a sculptor is needed. I disagree, but I think it's a perfect description of John Glen.

I actually said it about Glen! ajb007/wink

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

55

Re: Bond 25 Director

Glen directed the way he did and when he did because that's what EON deliberately wanted.  Just by the fact that they wooed RM back way past his prime, time and again is proof that their primary interests were not creative in nature.  If looking at the standard marketing model of business lifecycles, up to the time before and during Glen's tenure the series was the classic cash cow and there was no desire to make any radical changes to the formula, save little tweaks like MR vs. FYEO.  The re-hiring of Guy Hamilton and Lewis Gilbert into the 70's is indication enough of the desire to reproduce the successes of the tent pole Bond productions and in John Glen, they found the perfect solution of a director who was familiar to the production and most importantly, one who they can "own" (an availability issue) and impress upon their core creative values. 

If we observe, it was only after Cubby retired when EON again considered experimenting with new directors, the first ones who were never involved in the production (like Hunt and Glen who were home grown) since Lewis Gilbert was hired for YOLT, practically 30 years prior!  Although the 4 "new" movies that became the Brosnan canon were cookie-cutter, best-of-Bond so to speak, showing the tendency of playing it safe, at least much risk was taken in hiring a string of new directors for each of those movies.  Speaking of Peter Hunt, why wasn't he invited back to direct?  IMO it was because he went "auteur" just a tad beyond the producers' comfort zone, a resistance that would soften a bit with the "new" EON team of Michael and Barbara, with Barbara being the unique factor. 

In the end, I like the Mendes headline over at the MI6 site regarding speculations on the new Bond after DC, which also applies to the larger scheme of production, "it's not a democracy."  So that Mendes himself, an "auteur" director in his own right, recognizes his own boundaries under the rule of EON and this is the criteria we can predict for the new director.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

56

Re: Bond 25 Director

I think beyond EON's willingness to be more flexible is the fact that many contemporary directors (Mendes for example) are Bond fans and grew up on Bond films and seeing Bond films were a big part of what planted the seeds of them wanting to become film makers in the first place. So for many of them, making a Bond film is something they have probably dreamed of. Subsequently they love, respect and understand the canon and the history and are more willing to work within those constraints. On the other hand, unlike Harry and Cubby, Barbara and Michael Wilson are more willing to allow a director they hold in high regard to have more collaborative input in the films.

57

Re: Bond 25 Director

Loeffelholz wrote:
Number24 wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I don't think anyone said Glen's films were sexless - that was said of Nolan's. Glen's work isn't sexless at all; I just think he's a barely adequate director.

No, someone said Nolan's films are sexless and I agree. Glen's are not sexless.  You also said about Nolan that he is a carpenter when a sculptor is needed. I disagree, but I think it's a perfect description of John Glen.

I actually said it about Glen! ajb007/wink

Oh ......  ajb007/embarrassed

58

Re: Bond 25 Director

I don't understand the comments about Glen being sexless.  What's enough/not enough sex in a Bond movie?  Or do you guys mean something else?

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

59

Re: Bond 25 Director

superado wrote:

I don't understand the comments about Glen being sexless.  What's enough/not enough sex in a Bond movie?  Or do you guys mean something else?

It was actually said by someone about Nolan, and misinterpreted. Whatever my issues with Glen, his films never lacked sex, LOL.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

60

Re: Bond 25 Director

Loeffelholz wrote:
superado wrote:

I don't understand the comments about Glen being sexless.  What's enough/not enough sex in a Bond movie?  Or do you guys mean something else?

It was actually said by someone about Nolan, and misinterpreted. Whatever my issues with Glen, his films never lacked sex, LOL.

Ok, that makes sense.  Does post-coitus count?  There's that scene with Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard in a literal afterglow in front of a fireplace  ajb007/lol   But I can understand the lack of sex, considering how Inception, a movie about dreams, didn't have any  ajb007/insane

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

61

Re: Bond 25 Director

My issue with Nolan is that his pictures tend to use characters to make a point rather than injecting them with warmth. Which is why his films can be described as sexless. His characters serve a purpose to the other arching story rather than the story be fed by the characters. My personal choice would be Matthew Vaughn but Kingsman may be a little close for comfort.

62

Re: Bond 25 Director

I like Matthew Vaughan, but Kingsman was idiotic, IMO. He's capable of better...and needs to be, if he's given a shot.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

63

Re: Bond 25 Director

Shadowfall wrote:

My issue with Nolan is that his pictures tend to use characters to make a point rather than injecting them with warmth. Which is why his films can be described as sexless. His characters serve a purpose to the other arching story rather than the story be fed by the characters. My personal choice would be Matthew Vaughn but Kingsman may be a little close for comfort.

Not to defend Nolan because I'm ambivalent about him helming a Bond movie...I'm not sure if I'm being simplistic, but in his movies I found myself caring for the characters, their frustrations, aspirations, prospects, etc. and maybe with what some may consider sexless, I find his characters' dialogue and interactions sufficiently "enough" to drive the plot.  For example in Inception, yes the relationships among the crew can sometimes be on the friendlier side of cordial, but I think it works to accentuate the simultaneous intensity and tragic void between Cobb and Mal, the central conflict of the movie. 

In Interstellar, the focus is on the tenuous relationship between father and daughter who were so alike, that it literally took a lifetime to resolve that conflict not only for their own benefit, but also for the rest of humanity.  What can I add about the Batman trilogy?  It was the most successful interpretation of the character and many other superhero origins stories in that it draws you in and genuinely makes you feel for Bruce Wayne as the true tragic figure that he's supposed to be, to the extent that the Bond franchise heavily borrowed from this.  So, maybe it's that, in which the crux of a story is so vitally grounded with people and how they connect with one another that it may be interpreted as heavy handed contrivance, hence "sexless," but to me it just drips with humanity, so much so that when I walk out of the theater I feel personally validated  ajb007/lol

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

64

Re: Bond 25 Director

That's totally fair; re: Nolan and relationships, etc. I've honestly not ever expended any energy imagining Nolan would be in the mix for Bond...they could (and perhaps might   ajb007/crap  ), do worse, but it's just such a potential clash of brands, styles and egos that it seems, well, not worth giving a great deal of consideration to ajb007/takecover  It would definitely require this particular auteur to stretch beyond his comfort zone, haha.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

65

Re: Bond 25 Director

superado wrote:
Shadowfall wrote:

My issue with Nolan is that his pictures tend to use characters to make a point rather than injecting them with warmth. Which is why his films can be described as sexless. His characters serve a purpose to the other arching story rather than the story be fed by the characters. My personal choice would be Matthew Vaughn but Kingsman may be a little close for comfort.

Not to defend Nolan because I'm ambivalent about him helming a Bond movie...I'm not sure if I'm being simplistic, but in his movies I found myself caring for the characters, their frustrations, aspirations, prospects, etc. and maybe with what some may consider sexless, I find his characters' dialogue and interactions sufficiently "enough" to drive the plot.  For example in Inception, yes the relationships among the crew can sometimes be on the friendlier side of cordial, but I think it works to accentuate the simultaneous intensity and tragic void between Cobb and Mal, the central conflict of the movie. 

In Interstellar, the focus is on the tenuous relationship between father and daughter who were so alike, that it literally took a lifetime to resolve that conflict not only for their own benefit, but also for the rest of humanity.  What can I add about the Batman trilogy?  It was the most successful interpretation of the character and many other superhero origins stories in that it draws you in and genuinely makes you feel for Bruce Wayne as the true tragic figure that he's supposed to be, to the extent that the Bond franchise heavily borrowed from this.  So, maybe it's that, in which the crux of a story is so vitally grounded with people and how they connect with one another that it may be interpreted as heavy handed contrivance, hence "sexless," but to me it just drips with humanity, so much so that when I walk out of the theater I feel personally validated  ajb007/lol

well said, I've never been more emotionally invested or touched by film characters then by the father/daughter relationship in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. I don't think ill be as emotionally drained or moved as I was by that film for a long time if ever.

https://s31.postimg.cc/5k0y0y3pz/image.png

Last edited by walther p99 (19th Jun 2016 17:46)

@deanwdunlevy

66

Re: Bond 25 Director

Nicolas Winding Refn has said many times that he'd love to take a brief departure from independent filmmaking and helm a big-budget franchise or superhero film. Right now he's collaborating with Purvis & Wade on a script for his next film, a spy picture set in tokyo. Perhaps the next step for Refn is Bond. I'm a big fan of Refn's visual ouvre, and would love to see it applied to Bond. He'd be a great director to introduce a new Bond as well, start a new era with a unique visual style.

Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wis … 80413?mt=2

67

Re: Bond 25 Director

For Bond, a director really needs to have a unique visual style.

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

68

Re: Bond 25 Director

Agent Lee wrote:

Nicolas Winding Refn has said many times that he'd love to take a brief departure from independent filmmaking and helm a big-budget franchise or superhero film. Right now he's collaborating with Purvis & Wade on a script for his next film, a spy picture set in tokyo. Perhaps the next step for Refn is Bond. I'm a big fan of Refn's visual ouvre, and would love to see it applied to Bond. He'd be a great director to introduce a new Bond as well, start a new era with a unique visual style.

Can't believe I said this mere days before it came out that Refn was offered the chance to helm Spectre, but turned it down. I guess that takes care 'o that. It is exciting, though, that Refn is teaming up with Purvis & Wade to write a Tokyo spy thriller.

Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wis … 80413?mt=2

69

Re: Bond 25 Director

I'd love Purvis & Wade to keep extremely busy, on numerous projects outside of Bond...as many outside projects as possible; say twenty or thirty.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

70

Re: Bond 25 Director

Agent Lee wrote:

Nicolas Winding Refn has said many times that he'd love to take a brief departure from independent filmmaking and helm a big-budget franchise or superhero film. Right now he's collaborating with Purvis & Wade on a script for his next film, a spy picture set in tokyo. Perhaps the next step for Refn is Bond. I'm a big fan of Refn's visual ouvre, and would love to see it applied to Bond. He'd be a great director to introduce a new Bond as well, start a new era with a unique visual style.

Well in the current edition of London's weekly freebie for blokes, Shortlist, he is interviewed and the subject of Bond is tentatively raised by the journalist - he responds with genuine enthusiasm and says he'd love to do a Bond film, what's more it's the one area where he'd be prepared to give up final creative say on it (a prerequisite as we know of the producers and studio). It also went on to mention that he is working on a spy film.

If you say it's Wade and Purvis, who is to say this isn't Bond?

And if Tom Hiddlestone was Bond, surely the director having done Drive would make him the perfect Ryan Gosling type, sort of cool and enigmatic. Because Tom would stink in many a Bond film, just as Craig would (can't picture him in most Moore films, with Craig you have to base the film about him). So the film could be crafted around Tom's persona.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

71

Re: Bond 25 Director

You would definately want an actor who could comfortably fit into and convey the Bond that EON, et al want portrayed or vice versa. Hiddleston would certainly be different than Craig but not "Roger Moore" different. Refn would be an interesting choice as director. Refn's approach to violence in "Drive"(which was quite jarring) could work very well with Hiddleston as Bond. Hiddleston's Bond should be smooth, controlled, refined with a nice touch of wit and charm until called upon to inflict violence which should be delivered in a jarring, explosive, efficient but cold blooded manner and sometimes followed by a cruel but humerous comment by 007. Refn would just have to find a way to work within the constraints of a PG-13 rating.

72

Re: Bond 25 Director

That's the thing isn't it. It's easy with a New Bond to think, okay, how would he fit into the best of the series? Could it have worked with him in Goldfinger, LALD, TSWLM? And Brosnan could have fitted in all the Moore films, and most of the Connery, even if he might not have been as good. So surely Brosnan would be a great Bond? But then you could never have Craig in MR or TSWLM, and not really in GF either, you can't see it. That's to miss the point: you craft the film around the actor with the actor in mind.

So Craig's films are totally Craig, the films are a reinvention based around him. They are not trying to shoehorn the actor into the role, stick a square peg in a round hole.

So Hiddlestone's Bond would be for a Hiddlestone Bond movie. Still can't see it mind, but I haven't seen The Night Manager.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

73

Re: Bond 25 Director

Napoleon Plural wrote:

So Hiddlestone's Bond would be for a Hiddlestone Bond movie. Still can't see it mind, but I haven't seen The Night Manager.

I do recommend it...and I look forward to Hiddleston's interpretation of Bond with happy anticipation  ajb007/bond

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

74

Re: Bond 25 Director

Hmm, that new film of Rein has mixed reviews not universally bad but he also did Only God Believes, a stinker, plus some of his unPC quotes I can imagine would rile B Broccoli.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

75

Re: Bond 25 Director

Only God Forgives is pretty bad. His latest, The Neon Demon has been receiving good reviews but is not my cup of tea. Other than Drive his stuff is pretty offbeat to say the least. His films are generally pretty bleak affairs....that wouldn't work so well for Bond IMO.