101

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

As with most things Spectre we are reduced to defending the ' not too bad' Newman's input to the Bondiverse  is lackluster at best. Bad music, very very bad, terrible music in fact. Possibly fake music, that's not what I'm  saying but it's  what I have heard...

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

102

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Since Newman will not be scoring Bond 25 I think Michael Giacchino is my dream candidate. His score for the original Medal of honor is one of my favorite scores of all time.

@deanwdunlevy

103

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

I think you mean you don't need any more of that Matt. I'd be more than happy with Zimmer getting the nod for Bond 25. In fact I found his treatment of films such as Tarantino's "True Romance" to be anything other than generic.
Maybe you just need a better stereo system  ajb007/wink

Matt S wrote:
Alec 006 wrote:

Am I missing something here?

With Christopher Nolan's company Syncopy initially being listed by IMDb as having Bond 25 as a current project (that listing has since been removed - perhaps a mistake or perhaps part of the Broccoli/Wilson secretive way of doing business), rumours have been rife that Nolan may be in line for directing the next Bond film (GREAT news in my opinion)...
Now if that turns out to be the case, why are we not discussing Oscar winner and all-round fantastic bloke Hanz Zimmer for the music score?

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/christ … 201812534/

Zimmer's name has already been thrown around in this thread. I'm not the only one here who things Hans Zimmer would be a terrible fit for Bond, not least because Bond doesn't need generic-sounding action music. Thomas Newman clearly looked to Zimmer for his action music in his two Bond films, and we don't need any more of that!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde

104

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

No to Newman or Zimmer. Both have tainted their films with their blandness. Give me a classic John Barry/ John Williams/ Jerry Goldsmith type score any day. I'm tired of all the samey generic crap tainting cinema today.

For Bond 25 I want a Bond score like Tomorrow Never Dies. Something that celebrates the Bond theme and uses it to it's maximum potential instead of building it up to nothing then saving the whole theme for the end credits. I'm sick of it! It's a Bond movie! Use the freaking theme!  ajb007/mad

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

105

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers

106

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

ajb007/martini  Yes, I want it Big and Bold !

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

107

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/martini  Yes, I want it Big and Bold !

And Bond!  ajb007/cheers

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

108

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

And Brassy!   ajb007/lol

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

109

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Shirley Brassy!  ajb007/lol

110

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

ajb007/lol
I love the story of how to get relaxed to hit the last high note in GF.
She went behind the  sound screen , and the next thing her bra comes
Over the top !  ajb007/biggrin

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

111

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Barbel wrote:

Shirley Brassy!  ajb007/lol

You'd tend to think she'd be nailed on for Bond25...

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

112

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

BruceMurdock wrote:

No to Newman or Zimmer. Both have tainted their films with their blandness. Give me a classic John Barry/ John Williams/ Jerry Goldsmith type score any day. I'm tired of all the samey generic crap tainting cinema today.

For Bond 25 I want a Bond score like Tomorrow Never Dies. Something that celebrates the Bond theme and uses it to it's maximum potential instead of building it up to nothing then saving the whole theme for the end credits. I'm sick of it! It's a Bond movie! Use the freaking theme!  ajb007/mad

100% agree! The incidental music should make reference to the main theme. That main theme should be a very good song and one that can be sewn into the fabric of the whole soundtrack. It's part of each film's individual identity. Newman's scores are well below the standard a Bond film deserves.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

113

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

David Arnold or ...Ramin Djawadi, he's score in the TV show Person of Interest really proved to outstanding in my opinion. I'm really curious to see how he'd implement Bond sounds. But I guess it's just a dream

114

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

The Red Kind wrote:
BruceMurdock wrote:

No to Newman or Zimmer. Both have tainted their films with their blandness. Give me a classic John Barry/ John Williams/ Jerry Goldsmith type score any day. I'm tired of all the samey generic crap tainting cinema today.

For Bond 25 I want a Bond score like Tomorrow Never Dies. Something that celebrates the Bond theme and uses it to it's maximum potential instead of building it up to nothing then saving the whole theme for the end credits. I'm sick of it! It's a Bond movie! Use the freaking theme!  ajb007/mad

100% agree! The incidental music should make reference to the main theme. That main theme should be a very good song and one that can be sewn into the fabric of the whole soundtrack. It's part of each film's individual identity. Newman's scores are well below the standard a Bond film deserves.

the main theme is referenced atleast once in both SF and SP's scores, But I agree that it should be referenced more often like the Connery films.

@deanwdunlevy

115

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

The Red Kind wrote:

100% agree! The incidental music should make reference to the main theme. That main theme should be a very good song and one that can be sewn into the fabric of the whole soundtrack. It's part of each film's individual identity. Newman's scores are well below the standard a Bond film deserves.

CR is a great example of this. YKMN is ingrained in half the score and it is done beautifully.

116

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

walther p99 wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:
BruceMurdock wrote:

No to Newman or Zimmer. Both have tainted their films with their blandness. Give me a classic John Barry/ John Williams/ Jerry Goldsmith type score any day. I'm tired of all the samey generic crap tainting cinema today.

For Bond 25 I want a Bond score like Tomorrow Never Dies. Something that celebrates the Bond theme and uses it to it's maximum potential instead of building it up to nothing then saving the whole theme for the end credits. I'm sick of it! It's a Bond movie! Use the freaking theme!  ajb007/mad

100% agree! The incidental music should make reference to the main theme. That main theme should be a very good song and one that can be sewn into the fabric of the whole soundtrack. It's part of each film's individual identity. Newman's scores are well below the standard a Bond film deserves.

the main theme is referenced atleast once in both SF and SP's scores, But I agree that it should be referenced more often like the Connery films.

None of the Connery films reference the theme in the score. It's not about referencing the theme, it's about integrating the main theme and developing a score starting from the theme. Almost the entire Goldfinger score is the Goldfinger theme. It helps when there are alternate themes to work from, though the way Barry wrote scores was simply a way of writing the most meaningful music he could for the purpose of each film.

117

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Matt S wrote:

None of the Connery films reference the theme in the score.

Matt, do you mean the "James Bond Theme" or the individual film's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaI8uf4gjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl6WQCb5S8

118

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:

None of the Connery films reference the theme in the score.

Matt, do you mean the "James Bond Theme" or the individual film's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaI8uf4gjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl6WQCb5S8

I mean the films' themes.

119

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

I don't really mind if the "Title theme" of the film is underused but lately I feel the Bond theme has been sorely underused to the point it's barely in the films anymore. It just maddens me. I can understand the lack of it in Casino Royale as Bond was earning it but from Quantum of Solace on, it's been sorely missed. I can't wait until this Bond theme blackout is lifted so the theme can be used to great usage again.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

120

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Matt S wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:

None of the Connery films reference the theme in the score.

Matt, do you mean the "James Bond Theme" or the individual film's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaI8uf4gjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl6WQCb5S8

I mean the films' themes.

Don't tell me you think that You Only Live Twice's theme was underused?
Mountains and Sunsets?
James Bond in Japan?
I mean, you must've heard of Aki, Tiger and Osato!

a reasonable rate of return

121

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Dirty Punker wrote:
Matt S wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Matt, do you mean the "James Bond Theme" or the individual film's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaI8uf4gjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl6WQCb5S8

I mean the films' themes.

Don't tell me you think that You Only Live Twice's theme was underused?
Mountains and Sunsets?
James Bond in Japan?
I mean, you must've heard of Aki, Tiger and Osato!

Read my entire post, not just the first sentence that was quoted.

122

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

Always wanted John Williams

123

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

DC1888 wrote:

Always wanted John Williams

He's too expensive for Bond, and he's just too good to take over a series from someone else. He needs to be hired to start and series, and then others can take over from him (like with Superman and Harry Potter). He could never have stepped into Bond unless the idea was to throw away everything that came before. And I think Williams would have enough respect for Bond music to deny doing it if they wanted him.

124

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

1. David Arnold
2. Michael Giaccino
3. Howard Shore
4. Ennio Morricone
5.Alan Silvestri

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

125

Re: Bond 25 + Future Bond Score Composer

I watched Nocturnal Animals (newish film from Tom Ford) on Sunday evening. Interesting film but the soundtrack is very reminiscent of John Barry in parts and worth a listen - it's by Abel Kozenoiwski

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."