Bond clothing pieces you were disappointed with

Since we know Bond is a man who strives to wear the highest quality luxury products its pretty disappointing sometimes to find out that that's not always the case. Have their been any Bond products that you were unimpressed or letdown by? for me I would have to say the TF Snowdens which feel like flimsy easily breakable sunglasses, not all worth what I paid for them. Also the Sanders boots which don't seem that sturdily built and wear away easily, I seldom wear them now.

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    Tom Ford Markos. Pretty disappointing, even at the Ray-Ban price I purchased them for. Flimsy, poor optics, just not a good product.

Some other items were more of "They don't work for me" but had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Yes agree on the Sanders, I love the look but the sole really is hopeless on anything other than desert. Very slippy as well when wet. When my sole wore down too much I bought the delicious junction ones. I think you'll get some comments on the sunglasses too waltherp99, I don't mind them and have had no problems but they are definitely over priced when you compare them to persol or ray bans which have glass lenses and are made with superior materials. As it happens over the years I've lost 2 pairs of tf sunglasses to heavy handed children, my 108's and Henry's my persol 714 have fared much better despite having twice as many hinges!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Sanders boots for sure...ridiculously fragile. Also, I fear the Solden gloves I purchased will be useless in true cold weather but time will tell.
  • -_Quantum_--_Quantum_- Posts: 101MI6 Agent
    I don't own the item because I was just disappointed with how the item was originally handled with the "Limited run of 700." You then follow their instagram for when the item is supposed to launch only for it not to launch at all and then it randomly does and all of the regular sizes are "sold out" within minutes. So problem with marketing/communication is a turn-off. I thought price in relationship to the Varvatos one was a bit extreme. ~$1400 vs. $800. The Blouson is obviously not a limited edition run as the original is still listed on their website, and they've come out with more colors. I am also not a fan of the logo on the sleeve by any means. I am way wearing logos on clothes unless it was discreet. Their logo clearly is not. Some people had quality control issues when receiving their items. I just think there were too many problems with the launch of the item.

Now, I know a lot of you would say the exact same thing with Tom Ford and I don't blame you at all for thinking that. I was just glad that when those products were launched that I was currently not in the market for them and didn't have to suffer the drastic price increases that happened here.

I do own Markos, and have not been disappointed with them. I do not wear them as much as the Snowdons or Henry's though. Usually, I am pretty satisfied with what I do end up buying especially if I am plunking down so much coin in order to do so.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    I'm a little surprised at the comments regarding the Sanders. I walk around London in them a lot. While the initial wearing in of the sole was severe and the edges look untidy, once I got over this initial period they are now holding up. Maybe just the initial surface needs to be worn down?
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Ditto on the Markos.. They felt like $10 gas station sunglasses..
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Tom Ford Markos. Pretty disappointing, even at the Ray-Ban price I purchased them for. Flimsy, poor optics, just not a good product.

Some other items were more of "They don't work for me" but had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
    That's interesting a lot seem to say the Markos. I personally find them sturdy and well constructed along with the Henry's, its only the Snowdens which feel cheaply made.
    kadd wrote:
    I'm a little surprised at the comments regarding the Sanders. I walk around London in them a lot. While the initial wearing in of the sole was severe and the edges look untidy, once I got over this initial period they are now holding up. Maybe just the initial surface needs to be worn down?
    remember when we ran into each other while both wearing the Sanders outside Brunello Cucinelli? :))
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    kadd wrote:
    remember when we ran into each other while both wearing the Sanders outside Brunello Cucinelli? :))

Yep it freaked me out. Londoners dont talk to strangers! :)) So was surprised at someone calling out to me.

Seems like ages ago now!
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    i think if i paid full price for any of the Tom Ford sunglasses, i'd be disappointed in the quality. a lot of flex, a lot of play in the hinges. not at all worth $405.

you get what you pay for... to an extent.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    I own the TF Markos and Henrys. Paid around $150 for each and have no issues with them at all. Mine are well built and feel solid. Fit very comfortably and still look brand new and I wear them a lot.

Makes me wonder if there was a problem with quality on some of the first ones which was later corrected?
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Could be... both nose pads on my Markos popped off rather quickly... Not long after one of the lenses popped out... However, both my Snowden and Henry glasses seem perfectly fine and well made... In the end.. The Henry style are usually my go to choice.. (As well as my CR Persols)
    The Mantis wrote:
    Sanders boots for sure...ridiculously fragile. Also, I fear the Solden gloves I purchased will be useless in true cold weather but time will tell.
    Are they lined? reminds me of a time I wore the Skyfall Dents gloves out on a mildly cold Fall night and within a 1/2 hour my hands were nearly frozen. In contrast, the Mulberry gloves are extremely warm and comfortable in the dead of winter but are too nice for daily wear.
  • JancikJancik Posts: 87MI6 Agent
    Definitely the Agnelle Solden glove. Nothing I would wear during hard winter, or even snow. I got mine during March, when the winter had still a bit of an impact. However, they were not entirely up to to the task. I the "help" in their boutique left some things to be desired. Also I would have imagined the quality to be superior for that kind of money. Sadly, I was really overtaken by the Bond connection but at least I have an experience I can learn from.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Not so much as disappointed ,but I have the firing range SIS/MI6 blue track suit top from Skyfall ,just cant wear it any where :#
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Not so much as disappointed ,but I have the firing range SIS/MI6 blue track suit top from Skyfall ,just cant wear it any where 
    Sounds like time to sign up for a gym :-D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Jancik wrote:
    Not so much as disappointed ,but I have the firing range SIS/MI6 blue track suit top from Skyfall ,just cant wear it any where 
    Sounds like time to sign up for a gym :-D

gyms ugh dreadful places :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Lee JohnLee John Beautiful British Columbia Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    Speaking of that, what's the best Skyfall track suit and where can I purchase it?
  • TheundeadkennedyTheundeadkennedy Posts: 292MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    I don't have any examples of actual Bond items I have been disappointed with, but I do echo what some have said about being disappointed with Tom Ford eyewear. I never picked up any of the Bond specific glasses either because I didn't favor the style or they fit weird. I did pick up a pair of glasses frames from the Beverly Hills store a couple years ago and have rarely worn them because they lose their fit quickly and droop down and end up giving me headaches. I've had them adjusted numerous times and they always "loosen up". I'm thinking of just turning them into sunglasses to wear with contacts, I'm thinking the lighter lenses won't slide down my nose as much. But I'm not sure.

I picked up a pair of Cutler and Gross, the brand that made the Kingsman glasses, glasses last year and cannot praise them enough. It's not even a comparison in quality. I wear these glasses all the time, no problems with the frames " loosening up".
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Sanders for sure!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    edited October 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sanders for sure!!

Really that bad boots? :-/ I love their look and seriously considering buying them.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Lee John wrote:
    Speaking of that, what's the best Skyfall track suit and where can I purchase it?

http://www.jointservicesclothing.com/SIS_MI6_PTI_Bond/cat1235664_2095201.aspx
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Lee John wrote:

http://www.jointservicesclothing.com/SIS_MI6_PTI_Bond/cat1235664_2095201.aspx

I wish those logos weren't so large. Honestly they could make them about half the size and they'd be perfect. Not sure why they have to cover almost half the chest area.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Have to agree with a previous poster concerning the Matchless, though perhaps I should have managed my expectations for such a pricey jacket - not sure what I was expecting for the price but I was seriously underwhelmed!

Compare this to my experience buying the JV (shop not online, yes I had my order cancelled at the outset, sensed what was going to happen and got one of the last London store orders in). The jacket screams quality and at a much more favourable price and the store customer service was superb.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Have to agree with a previous poster concerning the Matchless, though perhaps I should have managed my expectations for such a pricey jacket - not sure what I was expecting for the price but I was seriously underwhelmed!

Compare this to my experience buying the JV (shop not online, yes I had my order cancelled at the outset, sensed what was going to happen and got one of the last London store orders in). The jacket screams quality and at a much more favourable price and the store customer service was superb.

Interesting that you mention the quality of JV over Matchless because I think the Matchless jacket was a copy of a JV jacket. I can't remember the name of the JV original though.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    A follow-up question I have since it seems to be a popping up a few times in this thread: worst service when buying a Bond product?

For me it would be the first time I went to the Tom Ford's London shop a few years back. The menswear employee essentially rolled his eyes at any mention of Bond and just generally had a very snooty smug attitude that made the whole visit very unpleasant. One moment I remember was seeing the Skyfall Cylinder cufflinks and pointed them out and he went "yes, they're very expensive" and mentally I was like "yes thank you I'm aware of that". Of the TF shirts I own that one is my least worn because it wasn't fitted or darted like my others partially because he didn't ask and I either forgot or just wanted to get the hell out of there. That said, when I returned last year I had the usual brilliant TF experience with Dario's assistance that made up for that one time.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    A follow-up question I have since it seems to be a popping up a few times in this thread: worst service when buying a Bond product?

I went into Billy Reid in New York and the sales associate was awful. He was rude, insulted me, and he didn't care at all about what he was doing. I could smell marijuana on him. I will never go in there again.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • NCR69NCR69 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I have the matchless.

I would say that from the outset they produced in two colours: screen camel and an almost midnight blue (it's darker than navy).

I ended up with the blue and to hell with screen.accuracy on this occasion. Here's why:

I thought it a better fit.

It works with a lot of my wardrobe and other key pieces from the films.

I'd actually argue against purchasing the camel unless spending a lot if the time in sunny climes.

It's too obvious what it is, too craig, and out of context sticks out like a,sore thumb.

It becomes cos play and you'd look a tit in a uk pub garden.

The blue is a much more tasteful affair, stylish and doesn't scream bond - but people unknowingly complement you as such.. In short all the style without looking like you're copying slavishly. I

I feel it's a piece that once seen on Craig then for anyone else it's going to look a bit like.. costume..

If you can't afford a JV and a camel matchless there's an argument for the blue matchless tbf

No complaints here about quality though I'd add word of caution about ordering online from linea.

Matchless say they've nothing but xl sizes in camel and nothing in the blue. Linea online claim they can supply any size and colour.

Rot. I know from visiting Linea they carry little to no stock and order whatever required. Chances are you'll find money held before eventually they inform you they were unable to secure the product so be warned.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I managed to get hold of a pair of purple undercrackers that Jill St John wears in DAF, but I almost split my difference in them :s
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • otgriderotgrider Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Barbour dept b beacon jacket. Poorly finished, uneven stitching, lining has disintegrated after a year, stretched and misshapen in areas and both sleeves have developed holes where the material has creased. Quality does not justify the price at all.