Which US Gangsters were the Spang Brothers in DAF (1956) based on?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm thinking of real-world American (or indeed British) gangsters here specifically who could have influenced Ian Fleming to create the Spang Brothers of the Spangled Mob in Diamonds Are Forever (1956)? I know for instance that there was a British gangster of the 1950s and 60s called Jack Spot (I have a book on him) and that the Spangs' successor as leader of the Spangled Mob was called Jack Strap as seen in the Goldfinger (1959) novel. He is shot by Auric Goldfinger near the end of the novel.

I'm not a big expert on gangsters, though I am learning.

I'd be grateful to hear some views on this one. :) -{
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Polar Bear 0007Polar Bear 0007 CanadaPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    A lot of people are critical of Fleming's depiction of the Mafia. I really like it!! It's clear Fleming had zero respect for them and viewed them as a bunch of organized uncultured thugs.

I've read on Wikipedia that there was a purple mob gang based out of Detroit- this is the Spangled Mob (it's assumed) as used by Fleming. Perhaps more research on this gang will provide additional info........
    This is where we leave you Mr. Bond. (Pilot, Apollo Airlines)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    This earlier thread http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/40761/american-mafia/ covers similar ground, including a link to more info on the Purple Gang.