Anthony Sinclair Special Order Suit

Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
I met with David Mason to get an Anthony Sinclair Special Order suit, and it is truly magnificent. For those who want something more like Connery's suits than the Anthony Sinclair ready-to-wear suits, the Special Order programme can do that. You can get the narrower lapels, lower button stance and pleated trousers. I was fairly happy with the style of the ready-to-wear suits and only made my suits more like Connery's by lowering the button stance, but I didn't make it as low as Connery's. I raised the trouser rise so the jacket and trousers harmonise better with each other, but it's debatable whether that counts as changing the style or just changing the fit.

My suit was inspired by Sean Connery’s blue button one suit in You Only Live Twice, Roger Moore’s marine blue suit in The Man with the Golden Gun and Daniel Craig’s blue sharkskin suit in Spectre. Here's the suit:

Anthony_Sinclair_Suit_2.jpg

With the blue cocktail cuff shirt and burgundy tie, I was trying to do the Moore look. But the grenadine weave of the tie brings in the Connery aspect.

For a made-to-measure suit without any alterations, it fits superbly. I was able to get the more traditional fit I wanted (about the same as Connery's Thunderball suits), but for those who like Craig's too-tight fits it can be done as well. My only concern is that the 8 oz cloth is too light. I would recommend getting something a bit heavier, such as the standard 9 oz cloth, but I love the look of this cloth. The suit overall feels so light and comfortable, as if I'm not wearing anything. I feel that being lightweight captures the essence of Connery's (and the literary Bond's) suits, though British tailors never came close to making something this light in the 1960s. Though I took these photos outside in January in New York, it really needs an overcoat outside. I think that when the summer comes, I'll really appreciate how light the suit is. Because it is Super 110s, it won't wrinkle as much or be as delicate as the more common Super 130s-Super 150s lightweight cloths.

I wrote a very detailed review of the suit with more photos on my blog:

http://www.bondsuits.com/anthony-sinclair-special-order-suit-modern-english-tailoring/

I highly recommend anyone getting an Anthony Sinclair ready-to-wear suit to upgrade to the Special Order, if anything to make it even more like Connery's suits than I made mine.
Visit my blog, Bond Suits

Comments

• James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I met with David Mason to get an Anthony Sinclair Special Order suit, and it is truly magnificent. For those who want something more like Connery's suits than the Anthony Sinclair ready-to-wear suits, the Special Order programme can do that. You can get the narrower lapels, lower button stance and pleated trousers. I was fairly happy with the style of the ready-to-wear suits and only made my suits more like Connery's by lowering the button stance, but I didn't make it as low as Connery's. I raised the trouser rise so the jacket and trousers harmonise better with each other, but it's debatable whether that counts as changing the style or just changing the fit.

My suit was inspired by Sean Connery’s blue button one suit in You Only Live Twice, Roger Moore’s marine blue suit in The Man with the Golden Gun and Daniel Craig’s blue sharkskin suit in Spectre. Here's the suit:

With the blue cocktail cuff shirt and burgundy tie, I was trying to do the Moore look. But the grenadine weave of the tie brings in the Connery aspect.

For a made-to-measure suit without any alterations, it fits superbly. I was able to get the more traditional fit I wanted (about the same as Connery's Thunderball suits), but for those who like Craig's too-tight fits it can be done as well. My only concern is that the 8 oz cloth is too light. I would recommend getting something a bit heavier, such as the standard 9 oz cloth, but I love the look of this cloth. The suit overall feels so light and comfortable, as if I'm not wearing anything. I feel that being lightweight captures the essence of Connery's (and the literary Bond's) suits, though British tailors never came close to making something this light in the 1960s. Though I took these photos outside in January in New York, it really needs an overcoat outside. I think that when the summer comes, I'll really appreciate how light the suit is. Because it is Super 110s, it won't wrinkle as much or be as delicate as the more common Super 130s-Super 150s lightweight cloths.

http://www.bondsuits.com/anthony-sinclair-special-order-suit-modern-english-tailoring/

I highly recommend anyone getting an Anthony Sinclair ready-to-wear suit to upgrade to the Special Order, if anything to make it even more like Connery's suits than I made mine.

Wow! That looks fantastic!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    -{ congrats Matt a very smart suit and great combination.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    Superb -{
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Very nice and love the sources of inspiration. Personalized yet love the nod to so many Bond characteristics!
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    Suit looks great Matt and the write up is excellent.

I took up the special offer last year and since then have been back to The Mason's a couple of times. I have always been so happy with everything I have got from them. If anyone is hesitating on pulling the trigger on the offer, go for it.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    You killed it Matt! I've been thinking about getting one of these suits, so I will definately be utilizing your article when I go for one. Just fantastic. I love the pics and the suit looks phenomenal. {[]

You mention that people can make Craig-like suits from Mason and Sons. I wanted to get one of these similar to the QoS Green Party midnight suit. How possible would do you think that is and what specifications would you recommend to mention? Thanks man!
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Beautiful suit, totally looking the business.

I met David Mason (and his son Elliot) last week during a visit to London, had to make some small alterations to a suit I bought from him earlier. What a lovely man and I am sure Matt is aware that they are now opening an office in NYC.

I have now ordered two suits with him for the 007 deal and still debating if I should add another one, since the deal will finish next week.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Wait, what???? They are opening a place in NYC?
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    They are, saw them today and they should be there very soon.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Thank you all!
    The Mantis wrote:
    Very nice and love the sources of inspiration. Personalized yet love the nod to so many Bond characteristics!

Thanks David. This is my belief. Bond has inspired me, but I like to pick and choose my favourite things from all Bonds to create what is best for me.
    You killed it Matt! I've been thinking about getting one of these suits, so I will definately be utilizing your article when I go for one. Just fantastic. I love the pics and the suit looks phenomenal. {[]

You mention that people can make Craig-like suits from Mason and Sons. I wanted to get one of these similar to the QoS Green Party midnight suit. How possible would do you think that is and what specifications would you recommend to mention? Thanks man!

I don't know if the 3-roll-2 is possible, but you'll have to ask Mason. If not through the factory, you might ask if they could do a button two (lowered to about the height I got it) and add a third buttonhole in the lapel afterwords, perhaps at an extra cost. The shoulders won't have the Tom Ford shape, but they will still have the roping. You'd be getting the Sinclair shoulders with Special Order. And though the full canvas is higher quality, the half canvas is a bit stiffer and may give you more of the Tom Ford feel with that. But if you're truly interested in getting that from Mason & Sons, talk to them and they will point you in the right direction. They know what they can and can't do with Special Order, and they understand the different Bond looks very well.
    The Mantis wrote:

Yes. They've been working on this for quite some time, but it's finally happening very soon!
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Excellent suits and service from Mason & Sons.
    Excellent look.
    Excellent, informative review.

Thanks for sharing. {[]
  • CommanderBCommanderB San FranciscoPosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Fantastic suit! Bravo! I have two of their ready-to-wear suits and was considering getting a third, but your post makes me think I should go the Special Order route this time. I'd love to drop the button stance a bit and get the narrower lapels. And very happy to hear they are opening an office in New York (going to NYC later this week).
    “What is your occupation?”
    “That’s not the sort of thing that looks good on a form."
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Matt,

Glad you like your special order suit. I love mine! Moreover, I think you hit the nail on the head with respect to Bond suiting. It should be more to do with what suits you, pardon the pun, and what looks good on you rather than trying to look like a clone of a particular Bond. After all, Bond would not try to look like anyone else. He wants to look like himself and be comfortable at the same time.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the advice Matt, I've taken note of it. I like the idea of it being sort of a mix of the old and the new. I would try and use the suit for other Bond Navy suits and mix and match ties and footwear as possible. I can't get over that color you picked. It's so vibrant! such a cool, personalized, Bond inspired suit!

I might have missed this in your article, but where would you say the quality is at? Are these middle of the road, higher end? Is the price to quality ratio good? Thanks again for all the assistance man.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    Matt S wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

Yes. They've been working on this for quite some time, but it's finally happening very soon!

As well as having an appartment as a base in NYC they are also doing some work with Harvey Nic's which I believe is one of the reasons they can no longer do the 007 offer as all prices need to be universal. I for one am happy they are progressing so well, great company and people.
    Thanks for the advice Matt, I've taken note of it. I like the idea of it being sort of a mix of the old and the new. I would try and use the suit for other Bond Navy suits and mix and match ties and footwear as possible. I can't get over that color you picked. It's so vibrant! such a cool, personalized, Bond inspired suit!

I might have missed this in your article, but where would you say the quality is at? Are these middle of the road, higher end? Is the price to quality ratio good? Thanks again for all the assistance man.

The great thing about the colour is how much it changes in different lighting. The only time I have worn it out so far was to the opera in the evening. I put it on and it was a beautiful dark, rich blue, but nothing bright about it. Then I went into the well-lit toilet and the suit became electrified! When I came out asked my friend if she thought my suit was a bright blue, and she said not at all! It's a really magical cloth.

The quality is excellent in that it feels sturdy, has a full canvas (and option I upgraded to), and all the stitching is neat. It's obviously not the quality of a Tom Ford suit as it doesn't have the handwork. I'd place it bottom of a high-end suit in that it has all of the hallmarks that make the core of a great suit, but it lacks the excess that make a Tom Ford or a Brioni what they are. There's the "Handmade" version of the Special Order suit for a bit more of that and an even more precise fit, and the bespoke service for the top.
    Vandrell wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

As well as having an appartment as a base in NYC they are also doing some work with Harvey Nic's which I believe is one of the reasons they can no longer do the 007 offer as all prices need to be universal. I for one am happy they are progressing so well, great company and people.

That was one hell of a deal, but I agree that there is no need for that deal anymore. At the full price, the suits are still competitively priced, and there is no comparison anywhere else.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    edited February 2017
    @Mantis I can confirm this yes, I had a great chat with David on a visit to London back in November and they are working on opening premises around the globe in the same style as their London "John Lennon" flat, starting in NY then potenitally looking at LA etc, I'm in Sydney and he mentioned here too which would be amazing.

The plan back then was to train a small number of team members who would rotate around the globe at various premises offering the same personalised fitting service as London, my understanding was the suits would then made back in London and shipped out, I may have offered my services in a career change :)

If anyone is after an Anthony Sinclair suit this is definitely the best opportunity you'll have at buying one they are clearly growing rapidly as a brand and arguably offer the best service in the Bondscape in my opinion, I couldn't speak highly enough and it was fascinating hearing their plans for world domination -{
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    edited February 2017
    And the best thing if you order it online (and you're outside the EU) is you get VAT back on the purchase so its actually circa 590GBP for the entire package, shipped! pretty amazing really. I own several Mr Fish shirts and they are pretty comfortable (managed to buy them in their black Friday sales).
    Yep, well said: great people and service. I hope it will keep its 'exclusivity' meaning, keep the high level of service and quality of the suits. As a Bond fan, having an AS suit is kind of a must have.

BTW, as a reminder: the 007 deal is finishing next week.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

• BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
    I went last month on my Birthday to be measured for a Special Order three piece suit, it is grey with a white pinstripe similar to the Tom Ford suit seen in Spectre. Both David and his son Elliot very extremely nice and the whole experience was fantastic!

I thought I might of got the 007 offer and paid for the waistcoat separately, however they used another offer called "The whole 9 yards", which as well as the three piece suit, shirt, knitted tie and pocket square I also got a pair of Albert Thurston moire braces for £900.

I don't know if this is still a valid offer, as all offers have seem to of disappeared following the end of the 007 on the 14th Feb.

Still waiting on the suit, however I assumed it would be a while longer, however reading Matt's recent post I feel very assured that I've done the right thing, and looking forward to getting a few more in the future!
    I've just been and collected my Anthony Sinclair suit from David Mason at Mason & Sons this afternoon, and I cannot explain to you how well it looks and feels to wear. I'll get some photos taken with me in it at some point, but the whole experience and the way David (and Elliot from my first visit) treat you from the moment you walk is exceptional. It's like talking with an old friend over coffee. I highly recommend them as a company, as tailors, as a service but mostly as people!
    Yes agree. I have now 2 suits and a third one on the way. However, I do warn people that are expecting a one to one replica of the Connery suits: it is not like that, unless you ask for it specifically. And even then, there are minor differences which differentiates it from the Connery suits.

However, what really matters is: The suits are wonderful, of great quality and the Mason's are wonderful people. I would suggest them to see if they can find patterns that are more similar to the Connery Bond movies (Glen Urquhart check for example) and maybe over a more exact replica of the earlier Connery movies.

Here is the picture promised of my new suit, it's a three piece based on the SPECTRE grey pinstripe

IMG_7394.jpg
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Looks great!
    Fantastic-looking suit!
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    Outstanding
    Suit looks great! Do you mind me asking if that meterial cost you much more or was it the same special order price?
    Vandrell wrote:
    Suit looks great! Do you mind me asking if that meterial cost you much more or was it the same special order price?

Vandrell,

Originally I wanted a suit shown on the website under the special order suit which was very similar, however the material was discontinued. However because the suit was still up on the site they provided an alternative which looked very similar.

They also provided me an offer which they called "The whole 9 yards" which gave me a three piece suit, shirt (not shown), tie (also not shown) pocket square and Albert Thurston braces for £900.

I was very fortunate in getting this material, I know it would normally of cost me a lot more, but I don't know how much.