Her Majesty's DBS Update March 2017

Hello Friends,
Loads of progress on the re-restoration of the OHMSS DBS since my last check in.
Recall that I had restored her a few years ago, and that she was vandalized, all my tools, and many NOS unobtainium parts stolen from a lockup.
So...I have completed the lovely labour of chemically stripping down to the original red oxide epoxy primer, then wet sanding with 80g on a special, slow rotating D/A pneumatic sander, then hand sanding and scrubbing with wire brushes in many areas for a 100% bare metal beginning.
You can now see many of the damage, especially in the right rear quarter section.
Nearly every panel sustained damage!
Stripped and blasted all the parts that will be body colour, awaiting the new red oxide 2 part epoxy primer.....which....you guessed it...I cannot buy in the SF Bay Area! So, I get to drive about 500 miles to purchase a couple of contraband gallons of paint, and back again, as they cannot ship either.
I want to say hello to the paint shop, and look over an Aston restoration shop, so it won't be a wasted trip.

Still going backwards: I ended up discovering that the chap who did the sill job in 2009 never bothered to put a barrier between the aluminum skin and the steel chassis, so rot began to set in. Blessing in disguise, as if I would not have been inside of that front wing, I never would have discovered the slip up, and "the whole bloody alp" would have rotted away, causing an even bigger problem! Beware even reputable shops, they make errors too. Cost me about a month of weekends to put right.

Since insurance paid for about 1/10 of the damage, refusing to pay for a proper metal finish job, which is original quality from the factory, and compensating me for the loss of parts and tools, I will be putting together a GoFundMe video and link next month.

Hope everyone is well, more updates coming soon.
Cheers, Tom
1_20170226_192014.jpg

1_20170226_191957.jpg

1_20170226_191940.jpg

1_20170129_191841.jpg

Comments

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    That's most annoying. Is the car insured or was the lockup insured?
    a reasonable rate of return