Turnbull & Asser - Dr No shirts

BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
Hello,

I've been looking recently about getting either a Tom Ford or Turnbull & Asset Dr No shirt. I've approached both regarding custom shirts made, with T&A you have to order a minimum of 6 shirts for your first order, with the cost of an individual shirt ranging from £245-350. With TF there is no minimum order just a price increase of 10% of the standard shirt, making the shirt £395.

On T&A website they sell the Dr No shirt (within the Legends section) for £195, in both white and blue, but only in a regular fit.

At the weekend I received an email regarding "customisation" which allows users to buy shirts (including the Dr No) and have the arms and body either lengthened or shortened, plus the option of monogramming (which I don't see on the Dr No shirts) for an extra £25. What it doesn't offer is the option to change the shirt style from regular to slim, which for me makes the shirt fit better.

I've posted a reply tweet to T&A making the observation, in my head it makes sense to include this as a customisation, even if it means using less material to make the shirt.

I'd appreciate any help that could be given in this endeavour, here is the link to the tweet posted, if any one agrees if they like the tweet then maybe it will change T&A's minds: https://twitter.com/danielgaster/status/846675218034802688

If anyone else has any thoughts then please let me know, thanks for reading.

Daniel

Comments

• VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    Have you considered Mason ans Sons? I have a a few of their shirts and they are great. They are around £125 i think which makes them great value when compared to T&A or TF. I am sure they have different fits and a bespoke service.
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    If I may make an observation, I think that you're doing what I used to do often - trying to force what you want on someone else rather than take control of the situation yourself.

I always wanted a cocktail cuff shirt, and after my first attempt at a custom one - which was a disaster in terms of both service and the product itself - I thought I'd go with high-end brands. But I kept balking at the cost.

Finally, after reading lots of reviews I had a second one made by a different company (Deo Veritas, you can search my review here). Not only was it 1/5 the cost of a Tom Ford, but it fit me *exactly* the way I wanted it to, and I requested additional customizations beyond what Tom Ford would be willing to do.

There are many places that will make a custom shirt for you; I think that it comes down to a pretty binary choice - get the shirt exactly as I want it to be or get one from a specific brand. For me, I'd rather have the shirt look a specific way than have the label inside that no one will know about unless I tell them. However, I do realize that for many people knowing that they are wearing the same brand as Bond is more important than anything else.

I'd still like to have a Tom Ford shirt one day, but in the meantime I'll keep getting my shirts elsewhere and use the money I'll save for other things. Just the savings from two shirts alone is more money than I need for a pair of C&J shoes which will last me 20 years (and as I wear dress shirts every day they won't last as long).

Just my two cents...
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I agree with Vandrell on Mason & Sons. You can get a Special Order shirt for considerably less than a shirt from Turnbull & Asser or Tom Ford. If you're looking for a screen-accurate shirt, only Tom Ford can do that for the Spectre shirt. Not even Turnbull & Asser is so willing to make a Connery-style cocktail cuff.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the feedback, I am picking up a Mason & Sons suit, shirt and tie at the weekend which I ordered and visited in January, so will be able to see for myself very soon.

I wasn't necessarily looking for screen accuracy, but T&A do offer slim fit shirts, just not part of the "Worn by James Bond" Range, however do offer customisations in lengths of arms and bodies in these shirts, but not in the fits.

I was never trying to force what I want on other people, just seeing if other people were looking for the same as I, so if I communicated that incorrectly I do apologies.
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    The 6 order minimum by T&A is unfortunate, and something the New York branch does not require. Not only are there the obvious advantages of the bespoke fit, but they can also make the cuffs in the more accurate style than the contemporary take being offered on the "Legends" line.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Mason and Sons is the best bang for your buck and fitted exactly how you want too. I've had an account with T&A for nearly 25 years now and used to get all my shirts off them. But amazingly, Masons shirts fit me almost as well straight off the peg and I love them.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the feedback, I am picking up a Mason & Sons suit, shirt and tie at the weekend which I ordered and visited in January, so will be able to see for myself very soon.

I wasn't necessarily looking for screen accuracy, but T&A do offer slim fit shirts, just not part of the "Worn by James Bond" Range, however do offer customisations in lengths of arms and bodies in these shirts, but not in the fits.

I was never trying to force what I want on other people, just seeing if other people were looking for the same as I, so if I communicated that incorrectly I do apologies.

I apologize for my awkwardly worded post from this morning - serves me right for typing before coffee...

What I meant by "forcing" is that certain shirt-makers have limits on what they will do, and as much I would love to push them to go beyond that they simply won't. Tom Ford would never make me a shirt with Connery-style cocktail cuffs - they just won't. But Deo Veritas, which usually makes cocktail cuffs in the Tom Ford style, accommodated me and made Connery-style cuffs for my shirt.

There are lots of options for cocktail cuff shirts, and I guess it comes down to which details are important to you. For me I found a place which is the perfect blend of customization and cost. Others may have a shirt fit perfectly without modification. Others want to know that they are wearing a particular maker's shirt. There's no right or wrong (sadly, a lot of people who comment on men's style believe that there is a right and a wrong, which just coincidentally happens to align perfectly with their own personal tastes!) just preferences.

Good luck with the hunt! A good cocktail cuff shirt is a fantastic piece to own.
    I'm actually working with Deo Veritas right to get a shirt as close as possible to a Connery shirt (as well as Moore's Live and Let Die shirts). We're still working out the kinks with the cocktail cuff, but it's close. I'll have something to show very soon.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I'm actually working with Deo Veritas right to get a shirt as close as possible to a Connery shirt (as well as Moore's Live and Let Die shirts). We're still working out the kinks with the cocktail cuff, but it's close. I'll have something to show very soon.

Very cool! Looking forward to this Matt, and thanks for the effort {[]
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Will they make this shirt available on their website or available for the masses to purchase, or is this more of a one off project for you? With your knowledge and attention to detail, I'm sure it will be a dead ringer for the original. Would love to be able to order one once you get all the kinks worked out!
    Matt S wrote:

Will they make this shirt available on their website or available for the masses to purchase, or is this more of a one off project for you? With your knowledge and attention to detail, I'm sure it will be a dead ringer for the original. Would love to be able to order one once you get all the kinks worked out!

This will be something that can be ordered, but we haven't worked out exactly how that will happen yet.
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    This will be something that can be ordered, but we haven't worked out exactly how that will happen yet.

Neat! Hope the placket is also in the T&A style.
    urhash wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Neat! Hope the placket is also in the T&A style.

Naturally!
  • cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    Awesome! Thanks for your work on this!

Matt S wrote:
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Kinda on this topic but i'm looking at the TF shirt in the SP Morocco scene (BC outfit) and I was wondering if the Deo Veritas standard point collar and cocktail cuffs are close to SA? I was planning on getting a TF shirt made up but if DV can do it for a fraction of the price, I would be crazy not to go with them!