The UK General Election [8 June 2017]

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
edited April 2017 in Off Topic Chat
4221396001_5401787181001_5401755421001-vs.jpg?pubId=4221396001

This is the discussion thread for all issues relating to the forthcoming UK General Election called by Prime Minister Theresa May MP outside of 10 Downing Street today, Easter Tuesday 18 April 2017 to be held on Thursday 8 June 2017.

I think we at AJB know how to keep things clean and civil as I know members don't want to lose their say on the "Brexit General Election". As always, the minimum need for moderation should be desired by members here. :) -{

I predict a massive landslide victory for the Conservative Party, massive losses by the Labour Party and gains by the Liberal Democrats. As a Unionist, I also hope the Tories take a good few seats in Scotland (they currently only hold one) and put back the SNP.
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Young thread, we shall watch your career with great interest.

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I agree with your predictions and wishes SM. I just hope the outcome leaves the UK with a strong government that can ably negotiate with Brussels with less hindrance than currently seems prevalent.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I think calling an election now is probably a good strategic move by May. They are doing well in the polls, more than the margin of error, and it will probably be easier for her to govern after the election. Knowing she has popular support behind her and her government going into the negotiations with the EU is probably a strength.
    Number24 wrote:
    I think calling an election now is probably a good strategic move by May. They are doing well in the polls, more than the margin of error, and it will probably be easier for her to govern after the election. Knowing she has popular support behind her and her government going into the negotiations with the EU is probably a strength.
    I agree here also, though she does run the risk of looking like she's putting party politics above national stability. But I do believe she has been forced into this action by bitter brexit opposition within Westminster.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Forced by bitter, ? Well I never knew she had a drink problem ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Forced by bitter, ? Well I never knew she had a drink problem ! :D

If the Prime Minister turns up in the SABs, you can serve her!
    As a Scot who lives in Wales and works in England, I'll be watching this very carefully.
    The SNP and Lib Dems will certainly use this as an opportunity to make their points.
    Part of me is seriously doubtful that Labour can get their act together in time. They seem as rudderless as the Titanic

Barbel - nice choice. Here is a counter quote.

The PM: 'I waos nott eelected to watch my peiple suffer s Brexxitte in committee!

The Vocal Electorate: Yousa wassna electrd at-alla Messa Primey Ministers!

The Non vocal Electorate: We must do something about this. We need to find the exhaust port and block it!

EU Council: 'Various Wookie and Jawa noises'

Nicola Sturgeon: 'Ama Gonna bawl like a wee bairn till a git wha I want!!. Waaaaaa!'
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I'll make a point that's completely beside the point: :D
    I don't think the Titanic was ever rudderless. It hit an iceberg and sank, but the rudder worked fine.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think the Titanic was ever rudderless. It hit an iceberg and sank, but the rudder worked fine.
    What's your point?
    Living in N.Ireland, we've just had Stormont elections. Electing a bunch of morons who can't
    Even talk to each other. Which will probably lead to another election ( same clowns standing )
    Then we'll also have a Parliamentary election on top of that............. I wish I was on the Titanic
    To get away from all these Politicians !
    By the way, The Titanic was in perfect working order when it left Belfast. ;)

As for what's your point ? .... I think on boats the pointy bit is called the bow. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    What's your point?

My point is that I'm a history nerd and I can't help it :#
    I think Theresa May is a very clever lady. With this move she will counter any SNP calls for
    An independent Scotland, as going by the polls, they could lose seats ? and Labour is too
    Concerned with in fighting to make any credible opposition, let alone win. As for the LibDems
    They'll most likely gain a few seats but will remain a tiny party.
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    What's your point?

My point is that I'm a history nerd and I can't help it :#
    I blame Kate Winslet and Di caprio. Their shenanigans obviously distracted the look out guy.
    Living in N.Ireland, we've just had Stormont elections. Electing a bunch of morons who can't
    Even talk to each other. Which will probably lead to another election ( same clowns standing )
    Then we'll also have a Parliamentary election on top of that............. I wish I was on the Titanic
    To get away from all these Politicians !
    By the way, The Titanic was in perfect working order when it left Belfast. ;)

As for what's your point ? .... I think on boats the pointy bit is called the bow. :p

Hmmm except for the lack of lifeboats, and GLARING design fault with the bulkheads! It was practically perfect :D
    Of course 24's analogy of Britain being like the Titanic and has accidently scuttled an iceberg is interesting but moot, as when Trump nukes north Korea. North Korea nukes trump and south Korea, Russia nukes trump a bit more and China nukes Russia. The middle east will see all this going on and revert back 60 years, France will be run by le pen who is not letting anyone in or out, the UK will rise as a dominant world power....... Purely by default really and brexit will just be a hazy memory.
    Actually that the analogy wasn't mine .... :))

Since I'm responsible that we're steering off topic, I'll try to get the thread back on topic.

How do you think this election will impact UKIP?
    I've noticed with Trump in America and Kim in N.Korea. Bad hair seems to be a sign of .....Let's say
    Recklessness. Luckily Theresa May has sensible hair. :D

By the way Chris, The Titanic had the legal requirement of lifeboats ;)
    I suspect TB2 regrets bringing up the Titanic in the first place :#

So...... new election - good or bad for UKIP?
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    I'd talk about the UK Election but I would be lost at sea. Adrift. -{
    You know, like the Titanic.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am amazed, that during the short period of difficult and complicated Brexit negotiations ( not less than 18 months), she finds the time to do 6 months of campaigning?

And didn't she clearly rule out earlier parliament elections?
    Amazing how 'flexible' she is with her standpoints, during the Cameron reign, she was pro EU.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Young thread, we shall watch your career with great interest.

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Higgins wrote:
    I am amazed, that during the short period of difficult and complicated Brexit negotiations ( not less than 18 months), she finds the time to do 6 months of campaigning?

It's six weeks, Higgins, not six months!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Tomatos, tomatoes.....
    :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    ...graded according to size and colour. Oh wait, this isn't the EU thread. :D
    I couldn't stand the excitement of six months of electioneering ! :D
    Anne Perkins of the Guardian writes "This is no general election, it's a coup"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/18/general-election-coup-mps-theresa-may
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Amazing how 'flexible' she is with her standpoints, during the Cameron reign, she was pro EU.

I can understand why she's called it.

She is being hindered and distracted by things like the Lords and the wee Scottish lady. She's being accused of not having a mandate and the fact she wasn't elected (not that that bothers me. Your'e supposed to vote for a party and it's policies not the person)

She should Brexit and not calling a second Scottish referendum in the manifesto and then put all this bickering to bed.

Then, hopefully Labour can get their act together and oust JC. Every government needs a decent opposition.
    Number24 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/18/general-election-coup-mps-theresa-may
    A coup indeed!! Remarkable hysterical reporting as usual.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

I can understand why she's called it.

She is being hindered and distracted by things like the Lords and the wee Scottish lady. She's being accused of not having a mandate and the fact she wasn't elected (not that that bothers me. Your'e supposed to vote for a party and it's policies not the person)

She should Brexit and not calling a second Scottish referendum in the manifesto and then put all this bickering to bed.

Then, hopefully Labour can get their act together and oust JC. Every government needs a decent opposition.
    These are pretty much my thoughts, too much is being made of her saying she wouldn't call an election, particularly at the moment politics is an ever evolving thing and I believe she is moving with momentum. sturgeon accused her of having no mandate now accuses her of attempting to crush all opposition. if anything this election will ratify the current political situation.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited April 2017
    (Looks round warily before stepping up to the podium)

Lets face it, leading politicians only take action for their own benefit, or their party if permissible.
    The Prime Minister is only doing this because she sees there is an acceptable risk of success.
    Trouble is, with the mess the other parties are in, the only real hope is an opposition coalition that forces the same stalemate as the Cameron / Clegg situation. That in turn though could bog down everything. Mind you, if the SNP are defeated or sustain serious loses it won't do The First Minister any good. - That alone may be a risk the Prime Minister thinks is worth it.

As to the pollcasters, they should all just shut their big fat bollock boxes. If the last couple of elections prove anything, its that no one knows what the outcome will be. Much to Brussels and a good portion of Americans regret.

Considering they got what they wanted - Britain out of the EU, I don't see why UKIP haven't disbanded and Farage is not in prison for fraud and countless instances of inciting racial hatred.

And the rudder was too small. - A documentary calculated had the ship had one of correct size, it might have steered round the iceberg! Well, assuming the boiler room fire didn't finish things off afterwards.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Opposition coalition? That would terrible. Brexit is happening wether we like it or not. The politicians should stop grand standing and work together to make it as smooth and successful as possible for the UK AND THE EU. Corbyn believes he can end austerity and care for all by reducing tax for all but the very wealthy.... Who will up sticks and move elsewhere and borrowing billions because money is cheap to borrow at the moment, great long term plan that is, oh and in the current global aggressive mood he'd still attempt to scrap our defence deterant.

I'm sure the rudder was to legal requirements, just like the lifeboats :007)
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

A coup indeed!! Remarkable hysterical reporting as usual.

Anna Perkins didn't write this in a news report, but in a comment. That being said, I disagree with her on this issue. It's perfectly legal for her to call an election now, and it's no coup at all.