Bond British Naval Jacket question...

_Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
Hi all,

Anyone ever found a good/accurate version of Bond's Royal Navy (or was it R. N. V. R. from Flemings perspective?) Officers Jacket with the 8 button front as seen from time to time on a few different Bonds?

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

(I couldn't see this topic covered on the boards but please call me out if I've missed it)
Murder | Employment.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Try Ebay, it's a standard No.5 dress jacket.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    The question *I* have is - who would like to see D.C. sporting one? :007)
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    The question *I* have is - who would like to see D.C. sporting one? :007)

Would really love to see DC's Bond sporting one...will it happen, probably not. I just don't see where it could fit in the current "darker" movies.

Besides, Tom Ford would probably object to Bond in a formal outfit that's not made by them. :))
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Besides, Tom Ford would probably object to Bond in a formal outfit that's not made by them. :))

Craig wore a Brunello Cucinelli jacket in Spectre instead of a similarly coloured suit Tom Ford made, so it could actually happen. On the other hand, Tom Ford's cut is very British-inspired, so they could make a believable uniform if they wanted to.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    One here, it's even the right rank and full RN not RNVR "Wavy Navy" (that is now the Sea Cadet rank tapes)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-VETERANS-ROYAL-NAVY-OFFICER-UNIFORM-RN-CDR-JACKET-TROUSERS-Old-Medal-Ribbons-/332185402040?hash=item4d57cafab8:g:GWAAAOSwHHFY873J
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    edited April 2017
    There's a long history of some of London's best men's tailors making military uniforms - Gieves and Hawkes still custom make uniforms today - so that's not quite as far fetched as some may think!
    There's a long history of some of London's best men's tailors military uniforms - Gieves and Hawkes still custom make uniforms today - so that's not quite as far fetched as some may think!

They made most of mine :D
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    sniperUK wrote:
    One here, it's even the right rank and full RN not RNVR "Wavy Navy" (that is now the Sea Cadet rank tapes)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-VETERANS-ROYAL-NAVY-OFFICER-UNIFORM-RN-CDR-JACKET-TROUSERS-Old-Medal-Ribbons-/332185402040?hash=item4d57cafab8:g:GWAAAOSwHHFY873J

Great call, I hadn't found that one! Thank you
    Murder | Employment.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    There's a long history of some of London's best men's tailors military uniforms - Gieves and Hawkes still custom make uniforms today - so that's not quite as far fetched as some may think!

They made most of mine :D

Just curious...do you get to choose who you want to make your uniform? And does the military pay for everything or do you get a set budget?

I always thought the uniforms were mass produced and just got issued to you from a massive warehouse!
    Officers generally get their own tailored to fit. You do get allowances but they are set, so you have to pay the difference.

The regular day to day uniforms are mass produced, but when you get to dress uniform, you often find people get them altered to get a better fit, or buy their own from a reputable tailor like G&H. Turnbull and Asser do them too.
    sniperUK wrote:

Question though: is the buttoned side going the wrong way? Right over left?

IMG_9665.png
    Murder | Employment.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    _Stocks wrote:
    sniperUK wrote:

IMG_9665.png

It's just buttoned the wrong way in the photo. A double-breasted jacket is symmetrical, so it can technically be buttoned both ways.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Craig's Bond is supposedly SBS so he would wear 'lovats' more that RN Dress - but hey its films so anything could happen.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    His parent unit was still RN though, so when he went into DI he would revert back to RNR.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    There's a long history of some of London's best men's tailors making military uniforms - Gieves and Hawkes still custom make uniforms today - so that's not quite as far fetched as some may think!

Wow very interesting and I am very very jealous.

This
    kadd wrote:
    ...the uniforms were mass produced and just got issued to you from a massive warehouse!

describes our uniforms here in the land of Oz, even our winter blues. A screenshot of the official Defence clothing store

Screen_Shot_2017-04-21_at_06.22.08.png

Mass produced jackets and the only tailoring that can be done, and is allowed to be done under ADF policy (AFAIK), is the sleeve length and rank insignia.
    JTM wrote:

Wow very interesting and I am very very jealous.

This
    kadd wrote:
    ...the uniforms were mass produced and just got issued to you from a massive warehouse!

describes our uniforms here in the land of Oz, even our winter blues. A screenshot of the official Defence clothing store

Screen_Shot_2017-04-21_at_06.22.08.png

Mass produced jackets and the only tailoring that can be done, and is allowed to be done under ADF policy (AFAIK), is the sleeve length and rank insignia.

Considering the uber close association you have with our RN, that is quite surprising.
    edited April 2017
    Asp9mm wrote:
    His parent unit was still RN though, so when he went into DI he would revert back to RNR.
    Yeah but everyone know the wary bar stewards prefer pips on the shoulders to rings on their sleeves :D

Not that I have anything against the Navy they are lovely people (just don't let them get captured and have their iPod confiscated they get really upset claiming war crimes and everything)

Always said Bond should have been UKSF much more fitting to the Craig era of course.

You can still be UKSF and in the RN. SBS, SRR etc :p And the RN do have the best uniform, that's why Bond is RN :D
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    ... And the RN do have the best uniform, that's why Bond is RN :D

Funny, but I was just about to say something along those exact lines! :))
    edited April 2017
    Asp9mm wrote:
    You can still be UKSF and in the RN. SBS, SRR etc :p And the RN do have the best uniform, that's why Bond is RN :D

Yeah I know Senior Service, a legacy steeped in history and boats (more recently with no air strike capability), not much use in the hills or deserts of recent conflicts - still at least they look nice :D (and yes a few of them do try for 'special' service and succeed)

I am just miffed because a guy I know from the RNR got the same medal as me serving in Bahrain and visiting our hotspots on irregular visits. While I was in theatre getting shot at and blown up for 6 months. The git got his medal 2 years before me in a ceremony in London whilst mine came in he post! Joys of being a smaller (numerically) service.

Anyway back on topic they are smart uniforms and all the nice girls love a Sailor!

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    _Stocks wrote:
    sniperUK wrote:

IMG_9665.png

It's just buttoned the wrong way in the photo. A double-breasted jacket is symmetrical, so it can technically be buttoned both ways.

It's probably just the female version...
    Picked one up (thanks to sniperUK for the heads up) I have a mates big birthday coming up and he's having a movie fancy dress theme, so I might go as "Commander". Excuse the tie, still deciding on which black tie to order, that was the nearest to hand. Plus might need a hat.

Least I'll stand out from the "Officer and a Gentleman" crowd!

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

Also, found this folded up cryptic note in the pocket which is always exciting when you find a window to the past in a second hand piece....

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9917.jpg
    Murder | Employment.
    Well at least you know it's a Commanders jacket
    RN never any good at OPSEC trust them to give away the plan even 50 years later!
    The rest of us use self destructing messages :D
    Didn't even bother eating it!

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    Well at least you know it's a Commanders jacket
    RN never any good at OPSEC trust them to give away the plan even 50 years later!
    The rest of us use self destructing messages :D
    Didn't even bother eating it!

:))
    Its very quaint, these days it would be a coded text message.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Just did a quick search on CDR Wunderlich, assuming he is a yank (united airlines paper and planning to meet the original jacket owner at Dulles... found this image from US Naval Command from the year before
    IMG_3109.png
    Tennyson wrote:
    Just did a quick search on CDR Wunderlich, assuming he is a yank (united airlines paper and planning to meet the original jacket owner at Dulles... found this image from US Naval Command from the year before
    IMG_3109.png

Interesting. That's assuming Commander Roberts made it to Dulles and wasn't dragged off the plane by United security!
    Murder | Employment.
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    Great thread...! and quite a coincidence :)
    I was at an unofficial "Bond Exhibition" in Germany yesterday with quite a few dubious items which are marked as "ORIGINAL" including the "ORIGINAL" Uniform from YOLT ...but imo it has different lapels and is made of a different material- and the Cap has different laurel leaves on the peak to the original. what do you guys think?

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9828.jpg
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Some images for comparison...
    Screen_Shot_2017-05-01_at_12.31.05.png

Screen_Shot_2017-05-01_at_12.25.56.png

Screen_Shot_2017-05-01_at_12.26.09.png

Screen_Shot_2017-05-01_at_12.25.26.png
    a reasonable rate of return
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent

Thanks!... great photos! Definately big differences there!