"Battle at Piz Gloria" John Barry piece ... where to play it?

ChromeJobChromeJob Durham, NC USAPosts: 149MI6 Agent
I've been intrigued by the "Battle at Piz Gloria" suite that is included among unused queues in the remastered release of John Barry's score for ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (OHMSS). Sometime in post production a decision was made to play the classic Monty Norman/John Barry "James Bond Theme" over the initial battle, instead of Barry's music. Allegedly because the theme hadn't appeared much during the film (though the film opened with Barry re-orchestrating the theme so a synth replaced the twangy guitar, a very cheeky experiment IMHO). I think it was a mistake, the incessant playing of the Monty Norman theme, or the Barry "007 theme" from FRWL during climactic battles is hackneyed.

The "Battle at Piz Gloria" piece is great, and seems to be timed to coincide with some relaxed scenes amid the fighting, particularly one about 1:27 into the suite. Not sure if this to be timed for when Bond finds Tracy (then shoots a goon and leaps off, stage right), or when he is searching Blofeld's office for the pics and locations of the "Angels of Death."

Anyone ever read or figured out where the music could be queued up to play while watching the final film? I'm curious to see how the scenes play with Barry's intended music accompanying....

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UYKHG2/ref=pm_ws_tlw_trk10
20130316-5278_kingston_corvusbond_pussyposter_80x65.png
“It reads better than it lives.” T. Case

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Hi ChromeJob!

1) "Battle At Piz Gloria" isn't one of the unused cues added in 2003- it's always been on the OHMSS album.

2) The softer part is supposed to be heard while Bond searches Blofeld's office.

3) Only about half of the cue was replaced with the "James Bond Theme". This was Peter Hunt's decision, which John Barry was not pleased about (this wasn't the first time they'd disagreed over such matters, though it would be the last since Hunt left the series after this film).
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    I have a copy of the film with all the unused music intact. "Battle at Piz Gloria" is a combination of several shorter cues.

The first cue is 0:00-1:03. It begins exactly when the James Bond Theme begins, on the shot of a helicopter at 2:06:36 (R1 bluray timing). Most of the scenes covered with the James Bond theme afterwards had no music planned for them - that's why they were put there.

The second cue is 1:03-3:10. It stars on the shot of Bond pushing down the books and opening the secret map. 2:09:30 (R1 bluray timing). When Blofeld shoots at him, the music returns and then the rest is as Barry intended it.

The third cue is from 3:10-4:03. It's in the movie, however, several bars have been removed because the scene was shortened. The opening fanfare of Bobsled Chase (0:00-0:23) seems to have fallen victim to this because it doesn't have a corresponding sequence anymore. :/
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Wow, hi Cat! Long time no see! (About ? two years since your last post!) Nice to hear from you.
  • ChromeJobChromeJob Durham, NC USAPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Merci beaucoup to both of you, now I know where to play it. ;)
    20130316-5278_kingston_corvusbond_pussyposter_80x65.png
    “It reads better than it lives.” T. Case