Help with polo (Sunspel vs Orlebar Brown)

For those of you with experience with both of the brands, I'm looking to buy a couple of these shirts for an upcoming trip. I have 4 of the original sunspel riviera polos in a size Small but they've been washed and dried for about 8 years now. The sleeves are pretty wide compared to my biceps (sloppily large). However I'm pretty happy with the length and fit across the chest. I've never gotten to try on an Orlebar Brown in my proper size. I was looking at their classic model, the Sebastian. I take a size 44 (34) in Tom Ford polos and have a John Smedley polo that's pretty nice as well in an XS. For reference, I am 5'6" and weigh about 132lbs. Just trying to gather some opinions before I place an order. I'm going on a trip at the end of the month and would like a couple new shirts to take with me. I'm leaning towards Sunspel, but then wondering what Size? I could possibly order an XS and then have it dry cleaned instead of washing and drying it....so opinions will definitely be appreciated here. Thank you gentlemen in advance! -{

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I can't help with your sizing as I'm a 44" chest and 6'4" but I do have both orlebar brown and Sunspel polo's.
    My personal preference is for the Sunspel riviera, I prefer the collar and the fabric, for me it seems to breath better, I've always followed Sunspels care instructions and my original cr navy one is still going strong after 10 years more or less. I tend to wear my ob polo's with shorts more as to me they feel more casual than the Sunspels.
    On the other hand I prefer ob's t shirts to Sunspels.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I have 2 Sunspel riviera polos, 2 OB Sebastian Polos and 5 OB Felix polos. I heavily favour the Orlebar Brown polos. The fit is better for me (so this is totally subjective) and they hold their shape and colour better after repeated washings. To me a polo is just like a T-shirt so I am not going through the trouble and cost of having it dry-cleaned.

Keep in mind that the sleeves on the Sebastians are really tight and short. They squarely sit above the biceps and while an L is a good fit overall I still think the sleeves are just too tight/short to be really comfortable. I’m more Roger Moore than Danial Craig in the arms department so it is not like I am a one man gun show :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:

Keep in mind that the sleeves on the Sebastians are really tight and short. They squarely sit above the biceps and while an L is a good fit overall I still think the sleeves are just too tight/short to be really comfortable. I’m more Roger Moore than Danial Craig in the arms department so it is not like I am a one man gun show :))

This 100% The Sebastian squeezes my biceps out - very tight!!

I would say Sunspel is more comfortable for sure but they are completely different polos really.

Double the price but I have picked up the odd TF standard polo from eBay a few times (100 - 150 pounds). These are my fave by far, more durable and the construction details are pretty cool!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Sounds like we are the same size. I have a few Sunspel polos and one OB Felix. All my sunspel are size smal and they are way too big in the bicep, as you described. So, I got mine tailored, but I think an XS would be best. I got an XS in the OB Felix and it was still too big all around and had to get it tailored to fit and I shortened the length, as I don't like polos long on me. Here is a pic of the finished product:

IMG_1129.jpg

Both companies make great polos and offer different vibes. I agree that the OB polos are more relaxed, but (as mentioned) they don't breathe as well as the SS. OB is much easier to maintain and can just be sent into the washer and hung try without any loss in color and appearance. OB polos are much more slim fitting than SS in my experience. Get an XS man. If you are my size, then it will likely still be too big anyway, but easier to tailor down just right.

IMG_1100.jpg
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • TroyIkedaTroyIkeda Los Angeles Posts: 231MI6 Agent
    Thank you very much gents for all the feedback. I'm probably going to order 1 of each in XS and see which one I favor more. Sounds like Sunspel is the winner for comfort and of course is a fan favorite, yet OB sounds like it's a little more durable. I shall order and report back once they've been delivered. -{
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Sebastian over the other OB polos? The long placket gives it a very distinct look over their other offerings.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • smirkingrevengesmirkingrevenge Posts: 150MI6 Agent
    I just bought a few more Sunspel polos. I bought 3 last year and all of them have faded and shrunk a bit. They've lost the soft snug feeling they have when they're new. They lost that quite quickly. Anyway, I bought a new navy Riviera and I bought a Jersey Polo. I've had them both dry cleaned and they've come back perfectly. Plus, i have to say, the Jersey polos are a different knit and amazingly luxurious. However, I had to size up to large as they're cut more like the t-shirts. I have a Sunspel store very close to my office so it's hard not to pop in and get something at least once a month. I bought a Harrington a few weeks ago. Beautiful jacket. No lining though, so it's very lightweight. Anyway, that's my two cents! :)
  • TroyIkedaTroyIkeda Los Angeles Posts: 231MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Sebastian over the other OB polos? The long placket gives it a very distinct look over their other offerings.
    I chose the Sebastian because of those small details it has that I find unique. The V Shape cut at the sleeve ends with the buttons, the elongated placket, and out of all of their other polos it seemed to have the most flattering silhouette.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    I don't have an Orlebar Brown polo, but I just received my Sunspel and I was stunned on how comfortable it is. I mean, I could wear it as a pyjama :)) , not that I would but still. Highly recommended.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    I don't have an Orlebar Brown polo, but I just received my Sunspel and I was stunned on how comfortable it is. I mean, I could wear it as a pyjama :)) , not that I would but still. Highly recommended.

Be careful with how you wash and dry it, or you may end up only wanting to use it as a pyjama :)) that's what happened to my first one after my wife accidentally put it in the dryer :#
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent

Be careful with how you wash and dry it, or you may end up only wanting to use it as a pyjama :)) that's what happened to my first one after my wife accidentally put it in the dryer :#
    Thanks for the advice! -{
    a reasonable rate of return
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    I know this thread is a bit cold, but if anyone could help me with fit of the Sunspel t-shirts I would appreciate it greatly, I'm 46 inch chest, 35 inch waist, will an XL do it or should go up or down for a decent fit? Thanks.
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    bosoxfan wrote:
    I know this thread is a bit cold, but if anyone could help me with fit of the Sunspel t-shirts I would appreciate it greatly, I'm 46 inch chest, 35 inch waist, will an XL do it or should go up or down for a decent fit? Thanks.

Once again, for that one I went my regular size "L" to have a "relaxed" fit. "M" size was really fitted......I'm still a 42 chest :007)
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Sounds like you are about my size. An XL will be fitted. Size up for a more relaxed fit.
    bosoxfan wrote:
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”