George Lazenby - Becoming Bond

Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
I have looked through the forums for a post on this and have not been able to find one. Saying that, moderators please move this if it is better homed elsewhere or with an existing thread.

I watched the excellent documentary Becoming Bond as part of the American Essentials Film Festival in Sydney Australia this past weekend. Absolutely brilliant, BRILLIANT! Surprising, funny, poignant, sad and quirky in the best possible way. Josh Greenbaum brings us a very stylishly directed comic drama interspersed with George himself being interviewed very candidly. It really did open my eyes to this honest, interesting and very misunderstood man (by me at least). I am now really looking forward to re-watching OHMSS with a new mindset.

Highly recommended to all fans of Bond, film in general, truth and bloody good fun. The man has taken life by the horns for sure.

"You can defy what is expected of you and write your own story" (Lazenby 2017).

Cheers to you all.

-{ -{ -{ -{ -{ I am still only on five Vespers in the one sitting
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/871257/#p871257
    It has been mentioned, but not a stand alone thread
    Perhaps it should ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/871257/#p871257
    It has been mentioned, but not a stand alone thread
    Perhaps it should ?

Thanks ThunderP, yeah I am going with this needs a stand alone thread :007)
    Oscar Wilde
    I'm certain plenty of us will be watching. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Is the documentary available on DVD?
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Weird. I tried to watch it last night on Hulu and it said an error has occurred, so I went back to the Apple TV home screen and tried again, however Becoming Bond was NOWHERE to be found. I searched Hulu and still could not find it.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    I think it has literally only just been released on Hulu, the 21st or thereabouts. I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen here as part of a film festival. I guess once the dust has settled it will find its way to Apple TV, Hulu etc. reliably.
    Just have to say though that I was far from a Lazenby-centric Bond fan personally, but having now gotten to know the man a little better, or at least this film's version of him, I am certainly reappraising OHMSS and George's contribution to the franchise.
    Becoming Bond really is a cracking little film, extremely stylishly done, with tongue firmly in cheek when needed, yet genuinely poignant in places too. Lazenby bares his soul as an old man, and his honesty is admirable. 10/10.
    Oscar Wilde
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2017
    I've just watched the documentary.

Imo it's far too long and it focusses too much on Lazenby's youth and the Bond Part (which is in the title) is too short. I'd wanted to hear more about the OHMSS shooting and side stories.

Generally speaking, imo it shows that Lazenby was and still is a player. He knows, that often he's wrong but is too stubborn to follow the "reasonable" way.

I like how relaxed he is with his own faults and mishaps in his life, but in general he's a pretty weird guy and the documentary emphasizes that.

Just one example: He gets the role - the producers tell him to hide in France until the press conference.
    He calls the love of his life up and tells it to her and asks her to come.

When she arrived, he has to go back to London. And next time that he sees her again is in 20 years??

Why doesn't he take her with him? Why doesn't he call her up after arriving in London?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    PS. I rank OHMSS as my number 1 - together with FYEO

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    PS. I rank OHMSS as my number 1 - together with FYEO

Well, you've got great taste in Bond films then, Higgins. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Yes I agree OHMSS and CR are my favorites.

:v

DAF is at the bottom and TLD just slightly above on my list :D

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    becoming-bond-australian-dvd.jpg

'Becoming Bond' will be released on DVD in Australia on 27th September, 2017.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I've just watched the documentary.

I like how relaxed he is with his own faults and mishaps in his life, but in general he's a pretty weird guy and the documentary emphasizes that.

Just one example: He gets the role - the producers tell him to hide in France until the press conference.
    He calls the love of his life up and tells it to her and asks her to come.

When she arrived, he has to go back to London. And next time that he sees her again is in 20 years??

Why doesn't he take her with him? Why doesn't he call her up after arriving in London?

I watched this last night. Was enjoyable as a one off watch, however I don't think I really learnt anything new that wasn't summarised in his 5 mins of screen time on the documentary Everything Or Nothing. Most of it was repeated word for word.

The wife watched it with me and she couldn't believe how stubborn he was and also like myself (and the documentary maker) wondered if a lot of it was bullsh!t from old George who likes to tell a story. It was entertaining the way they portrayed it with the comedy aspect however I think it dragged on a little near the end! It prob could of done with a bit more real footage or opinions of his co-stars

Funnily enough I also never understood why he never took Belinda back to London with him. I imagine even if he did, their relationship wouldn't have lasted 5 mins anyhow! Wonder if she is still alive - would have been fun hearing her side of the story!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
    I watched this the other night and really enjoyed it. Lazenby seems like a real lariken. I love how it focuses more on his life before Bond because it builds up his character nicely. The humour was great too.

I wish he had done more Bond films but at least now I understand why he only did one.

There's some conflicting info here - elsewhere Lazenby stated his manager convinced him not to continue, while here he mentions it was his own decision, but it was probably a bit of both.

Is that Jane Seymour playing Lazenby's agent?
    1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. TLD 5. FRwL 6. TMWTGG 7. FYEO
    8. OP 9. TSWLM 10. SF 11. TND 12. LtK 13. NTtD 14. GF
    15. AVtaK 16. LaLD 17. TWiNE 18. MR 19. YOLT 20. DN 21. TB
    22. SP 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

:v

DAF is at the bottom and TLD just slightly above on my list :D

How dare you, Higgins! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    yes, that cooled down quickly :)) :)) :))

• Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    DHhxSxBVwAIBRPG.jpg

I got around to checking this out. George is a funny guy which keeps your interest and while the movie is low budget, Josh Lawson does a great job playing off the storytelling.

When George revealed how he got the role of a lifetime over experienced actors, I was blown away by how he was able to bullsh** his way into replacing Sean Connery.

With that said, its also hard to tell what parts of his story are true since he's such a good BS artist. I found the part of him leaving Belinda, the love of his life at the time, all by herself in Paris questionable.

He did well as 007 for a guy who had large shoes to fill. Its a shame he didn't do another.

Living that kind of lifestyle can overwhelming. Having to do all those interviews and tours, the vices involved, being controlled by the studio. I get why he walked away to some extent, but I think if he had been cooler headed, a compromise with Broccoli could've been reached for Diamonds Are Forever and maybe another sequel.

For people who wanted to bash him and consider him an afterthought, he does deserve it. It was like winning a multi-million dollar lottery then setting all the money on fire.

He said he quit as he refused to sign a 7 picture deal contract which got him blackballed. (I'm assuming Broccoli made a few calls as payback to an ungrateful bloke that he made a star.)

What really surprised me is George took the blame solely instead of his agent, Maggie (played by Jane Seymour which was freaking awesome!) or Ronan O'Rahilly (who is nowhere to be found in this).

There's two side to every story in this case, I think its both. Broccolli came off as an overbearing ass and Lazenby was stubborn even when he was a nobody. George thinking he could use the 007 franchise as a stepping stone to his acting career was a big mistake and he found out the hard way.
    George Lazenby will present screenings of 'Becoming Bond' and 'Au service secret de Sa Majesté' at the Quebec City Film Festival on 15 - 16 September, 2017.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Thoroughly enjoyable and very entertaining but yeah, as others have said, quite a bit needs to be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion. What's that saying? "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!"

That said, I'd still love to sit down and have a pint - or eight! - with GL. His explanation for not continuing as Bond contradicts what he has said before and what others have said.

I met Lois Maxwell in 1978. There were no press around, she was very down to Earth and everything else she said seemed completely honest so I had no reason to assume it was anything other than the truth. Also, there was no reason for her to lie unlike GL or even EON since then...and as it was only a few years after OHMSS, I don't think her memory would be playing tricks. Bottom line was she said that they offered GL a multi-picture deal when they signed him, he was so confident that he'd be the best Bond ever that he rejected it and signed a one-picture deal figuring that he'd then be able to negotiate a massive pay raise for the subsequent ones. Alas, it didn't quite work out and EON were delighted to cut him free after the one.
    Very interesting. It would be nice if you could tell us more from this meeting.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I was very young and she was extremely kind to me. There were lots of little bits and pieces that I remember. I recall her saying that she was offered the role of Sylvia Trench or Miss Moneypenny but she chose Moneypenny hoping that they would eventually make films of all the books and she'd get more work (smart move!). She also said that when filming started, Connery struggled to hide his Scottish accent so much that they'd have to shoot short sequences of dialogue because if they went for long pieces he'd slip from his Bond accent into his own real accent.
    :007)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    interesting details, Domino Effect, you were very lucky to meet Miss Moneypenny
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Seriously, my envy level is high. I remember as a little girl watching her thinking "she has so much control." I can say now from working at an office, the assistant really knows what is going on. She just approached everything I such a genuine way. She really came across as a lovely understated person who was very good at her job and loved Bond. I wish someone could say something as nice about me :))
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • Andy007Andy007 Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    There is a very detailed article on the net, don't have the link to hand, but will post it if I find it, stating how the negotiatons dragged on after OHMSS. It revealed that the producers bent over backwards for him and offered many lucrative contracts, with their main intention being to keep him as a long-term Bond on multiple films. But the contract was very strict regarding George's behaviour and appearance off screen, even restricting his public places & restaurants. Whether all this is true who knows, but his agent kept rejecting every offer, presumably out of greed more than anything, despite the fact he was being offered huge money to stay as Bond. When it finally became apparent that George & his agent wouldn't sign on for multiple films, they focused solely on Diamonds Are Forever and would've paid him the record $1m dollars which Connery got. But yet again his agent declined & demanded $2m. Broccoli was outraged by this and angry. Lazenby was then taken out of the running and they signed American actor John Gavin as a backup option for Diamonds are Forever. But ultimately they pursued and secured Connery's return meaning Gavin wasn't needed. Although he did receive a pay-out for his contract. After DAF with Connery stepping down the producers then turned their attention to a new long-term Bond. Enter: Roger Moore.
    'Becoming Bond' will be released on DVD in New Zealnd on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 and in the UK on Monday, 6 November, 2017.

• Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    I watched this awhile back. It was interesting - and sad. I now understand why Lazenby decided to quit after OHMSS.
  • Wint and Kidd far-outWint and Kidd far-out AustraliaPosts: 109MI6 Agent
    I watched this awhile back. It was interesting - and sad. I now understand why Lazenby decided to quit after OHMSS.

It sounds very interesting.
    Roger Moore is my favourite 007 R.I.P.