RIP Sir Roger Moore

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
edited May 2017 in The James Bond Films
Roger Moore sadly passed away today. This is a thread to honour him: gentleman, actor, humanitarian and James Bond :007)

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    On some level, I thought a day like this would never come. RIP, Sir Roger.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • DC1888DC1888 Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    St. Roger Moore. My Hero. A legend.

Nobody did it better. -{
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Hardyboy wrote:
    On some level, I thought a day like this would never come. RIP, Sir Roger.

What a lovely, magnificent gent he was. A sad, sad day. Rest in peace, 007 :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    RIP Sir Rog - I thought he would go on and on just like the superman he portrayed...

I'm just so glad I got a chance to meet him and thank him for influencing my life, a role model that steered me through my formative years and continued to influence me into manhood. And get this, he was such a great man he thanked me!

I'm in work now and I've had to excuse myself from the office floor to reflect on his passing, it's come as such a shock on a day when we need people like Sir Roger to make sense of this crazy world (in which) we live in...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    He once said, that his ambassadorship for UNICEF is the best thing that he's ever done.

He also emphasized that the job came with a bonus: A salary of ONE pound and the best thing was that he did not have to share the 10% with his agent :D

He made me a Bond Fan in 1981 when I've seen FYEO my first time!
    TSWLM was my first Bond that I've seen.

He was my hero, he will always be THE James Bond to me.

My hero and a true gentleman! RIP, Sir!

Will watch FYEO with a tear in my eye tonight -{ -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,123MI6 Agent
    RIP Sir Rog - I thought he would go on and on just like the superman he portrayed...

I'm just so glad I got a chance to meet him and thank him for influencing my life, a role model that steered me through my formative years and continued to influence me into manhood. And get this, he was such a great man he thanked me!

I'm in work now and I've had to excuse myself from the office floor to reflect on his passing, it's come as such a shock on a day when we need people like Sir Roger to make sense of this crazy world (in which) we live in...

Nicely said Smithers. I'm so glad you and others on here had the opportunity to meet him. Alas I never did but he will always be a role model to me. Will definitely be raising a glass of something to him this evening. -{
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,268MI6 Agent
    In the tributes thread, I was thinking of posting earlier this year just how amazing it is that all the Bond actors, save Barry Nelson or David Niven, were still alive. So much for that.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,668MI6 Agent
    So sad. The passing of my personal hero, Sir Roger Moore at 89 years. Although a Fleming purist at heart, I have always loved him and his Bond films. Of course it would've been nice had he lived to 90, but I take great comfort in the knowledge that he had a full long life, well lived. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends and fans around the world at this difficult time for them.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I'll always cherish the day I was able to meet him. He's my favourite actor, and I've seen almost all of his movies. I can never get enough of his talent!

Mods, can we move this thread? Surely Roger Moore's death doesn't deserve to be relegated to "Off Topic Chat" on a James Bond forum! I'm appalled that this thread is in this section! The man deserves more!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    I always wanted to be the Roger Moore's James Bond...RIP sir...
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I've just seen the most tremendous anecdote about Sir Roger on Twitter posted by someone going by the @marchaynes ...

https://www.facebook.com/TheLondonerBlog/photos/pcb.1212131922245920/1212131378912641/?type=3&theater

Hopefully that will work ...
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,193Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:
    Mods, can we move this thread? Surely Roger Moore's death doesn't deserve to be relegated to "Off Topic Chat" on a James Bond forum! I'm appalled that this thread is in this section! The man deserves more!

Well, this is where the OP put it. I'd be happy to move it (to the Films forum?) if that's ok with Number 24.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
    I have no problem with that, but there's already a thread like this in the James Bond Films.
    Actually, sir, it is in Sardinia... er, the Chat forum, which is why I suggested the Films forum- where I'll move this one now.
    If ever a bending of the rules were appropriate, it is today. Sir Rog's passing is a legitimate huge event, albeit a sad one. Without his 'bending' of the concept of a Cinematic Bond, it's quite likely that Our Hero might not have survived into the 1980s.
    If ever a bending of the rules were appropriate, it is today.

{[]
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Truly sad news.
    I had the pleasure of meeting him in Melbourne during his 2009 My Word Is My Bond book tour.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    My mom always said that she thought Roger Moore was the best-looking Bond B-)
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Ahh damn, not great news to wake up to. RIP Sir Roger, you will be greatly missed -{
    I'd agree, in an impartial hetero way.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,500Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I've just seen the most tremendous anecdote about Sir Roger on Twitter posted by someone going by the @marchaynes ...

https://www.facebook.com/TheLondonerBlog/photos/pcb.1212131922245920/1212131378912641/?type=3&theater

Hopefully that will work ...

That's a lovely story - and so indicative of him...you can almost see the twinkle in his eye as he said it...a true Gentleman to the last -{
    YNWA 97
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I'd agree, in an impartial hetero way.

Me too. He was always so well-put-together, with his hair always just right and his clothes perfectly tailored.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,134MI6 Agent
    Such sad news. Sir Roger, you were the quintessential English gentleman greatly admired by millions around the world. Your legacy of The Saint, Brett Sinclair, James Bond and Shawn Flynn will live with me forever. I had the honour of attending one of your chat shows a few years ago and the cheers and applause of the audience was emphatic. Your work for UNICEF was unquantifiable in the help that you gave thousands of impoverished children. The founder of the help centre where I volunteer met you when you came to the Philippines with UNICEF and your photo with her adorns one of the walls - it gives all us helpers inspiration when we look at it.

Goodbye, Mr Bond.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    I'll always love Roger Moore for bringing so much fun and joy to my life. He was never my favorite Bond, but his mark on the series can never be appreciated enough. The sense of fun, irreverence, fashion, charm and humor he brought to the role was legendary and wonderful. I'm sure everyone here agrees that it feels so strange and sad that one of our Bonds is no longer with us. RIP Sir Roger!
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Sad news to wake up to this morning, I shed a tear which I'm fine to admit. A true inspiration to me in terms of his constant source of a smile and happiness. He lived life with gusto and was always a true gentleman.

Roger threw everything at the role and played it how he wanted - IMO he's the only Bond that got it 100% correct. Not in a Fleming sense, but in the sense of owning the role in his manner in each of the films he did.

"But James, I need you." "So does England."

-{
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • twinarcherstwinarchers Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    No one could do the things he did the way he did them. When others have tried they failed. A great man. R.I.P. Sir Roger.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I suppose instead of being sad, we should celebrate Roger's useful, happy, long life. I'm still pretty bummed though.

His Bond films are among my very favorite and I appreciate his involvement with various 007 books, documentaries and DVD commentary tracks.

Outside of Bond, his lifestyle was noble and admirable. A shining example for the rest of us. True class.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • twinarcherstwinarchers Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    I too love his commentaries.

Firemass wrote:
    I appreciate his involvement with various 007 books, documentaries and DVD commentary tracks.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    He was my hero, he will always be THE James Bond to me.

My hero and a true gentleman! RIP, Sir!

Will watch FYEO with a tear in my eye tonight -{ -{

Cheers Higgins. Thanks for writing that. -{

I listened to the Prague Philharmonic orchestra LALD thru AVTAK section last night and shed a few tears.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK