Ralph Lauren "Connery" Model?

Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
I was looking up on Google "brown silk suit" and the first result that popped up was this.
It appears the Polo are trying to imitate the Connery silhouette, with roped sleeveheads et al. Not an expert on the specifics of suits so if the like (Matt S, or otherwise) could chime in, it would be splendid.
Maybe they were inspired by Mack's Sunspel-ey polo and they tried to make this suit more accessible.
a reasonable rate of return

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    How interesting. I had not seen this before, but it resembles the old Ralph Lauren Black Label line's model called the "Anthony", which I assume was named after Connery's Anthony Sinclair. It had narrow lapels, a low button stance and roped sleeve heads like Connery's Anthony Sinclair suits. But this jacket, like the Anthony before it, has strong shoulders with a lot of padding compared to the unpadded shoulders in Sean Connery's suits. Since most people don't have Connery's build, padding gives normal men Connery's look.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    So, is this an updated version of the Anthony? Never knew Polo made these and I don't approve of the colour that it's for sale in, navy blue/grey would've been much better. But then again, maybe they even have a suit version of this.
    Top marks, as per usual Matt. Maybe Iconic Alternatives should take a look at this.
    So, is this an updated version of the Anthony? Never knew Polo made these and I don't approve of the colour that it's for sale in, navy blue/grey would've been much better. But then again, maybe they even have a suit version of this.
    Top marks, as per usual Matt. Maybe Iconic Alternatives should take a look at this.

The cut may be an updated version of the Anthony, but this is much lower quality since it's from a lower quality line. The colour has nothing to do with the cut, but they may offer this is other cloths or as a suit. I doubt they would sell it with pleated trousers like Connery wore.
    A quick search shows that they do make the Connery model in other cloths. Here's a Connery suit: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=117328296

The trousers have side-adjusters like Connery's suits had, but in a different style of side adjusters. But the cut is completely different from Connery's trousers, with a flat front and low rise.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Really? Good find.

Well, it was a conscious choice to make trousers without pleats but the low rise is unforgivable.
    I wouldn't think they would make DAKS(?/unsure) top side adjusters but at least they did got to some length to try and replicate the features that Sinclair's suits had (/have if you count Mason and Sons, which I do).

Seeing as cocktail cuffs are easy(-ier) to find, I hope someone makes Lapidus cuffs.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Really? Good find.

Well, it was a conscious choice to make trousers without pleats but the low rise is unforgivable.

Isn't Mason & Sons' trousers fairly low-rise compared to the original Conduit Cut?
    Really? Good find.

Isn't Mason & Sons' trousers fairly low-rise compared to the original Conduit Cut?

It is, especially in the Slim version. Connery's suits are quite unfashionable today and people would rather wear something that is loosely inspired by Connery's suits rather than a copy of his suits.