Did Sean Connery nearly get killed?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember reading about this, but Big Sean took the gun
    Off the gangster and punched him out. . Bound to happen
    When a soft southerer takes on a Hard Northerner! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:

Thanks, that's quite a notorious case - there were always rumours that Lana Turner's daughter took the blame on behalf of her mum. Either way she was well rid of Stompanato.

Of course the other time Sir Sean was nearly killed while working on a movie was when his car was hit by a concrete block while he was working on The Avengers - for some reason I couldn't find a news story to link to. Of all the films to nearly get killed on, The Avengers wouldn't be most people's first choice!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Sean was quite a renowned hard man in his day, Michael Caine tells many stories of Connery really enjoying a good punch up. Caine reports that Sean lost many Saville row suit jackets as he took them off before getting stuck in. What a man, moved like a cat and hit like a wrecking ball.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,229MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery also had a very close call filming From Russia With Love, during filming of the scene where the Spectre helicopter is pursuing Bond. The pilot flew too close to Connery and nearly flattened him during one take.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    Sean Connery also had a very close call filming From Russia With Love, during filming of the scene where the Spectre helicopter is pursuing Bond. The pilot flew too close to Connery and nearly flattened him during one take.
    I think a cameraman on the helicopter lost a foot.
    At least, that's what I remember from the banned LaserDisk commentary.
    a reasonable rate of return
    That would have been John Jordan, who lost a leg filming in a helicopter for You Only Live Twice. He died under similar circumstances three years later while filming Catch 22.
    It may be possible they got that mixed up in the commentary.

I'm certain it was in the From Russia With Love one, though.
    It could be that he filmed the FRWL helicopter sequences and they discussed his career. I have mp3s of those commentaries somewhere - you can find them online.
    That is very possible.
    I will check them out and edit this post if I've found a conclusive answer (aka listened to that part of the commentary)
  • Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Poor wee Mafia bastard shoulda known better than to piss off an Edinburgh boy.
    IanFryer wrote:
    That would have been John Jordan, who lost a leg filming in a helicopter for You Only Live Twice. He died under similar circumstances three years later while filming Catch 22.

I was doing an onstage interview with Visual Effects Director Brian Johnson at the weekend and the conversation came round to aerial photography and John Jordan's accident. Brian said that Jordan was in a lot of pain and depressed after his accident and his fall from an aircraft while making Catch 22 might well have been suicide.

Hardly conclusive evidence but an interesting perspective from someone who was in the industry at the time.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    Stompanato and Lana Turner were briefly featured in L.A. Confidential in a scene shot in the Formosa Cafe (the exterior of which I got to see on a recent vacation to LaLa Land!) ...which showed the kind of temper and unseemly behavior Stompanato was reputed to have.

I think it was in the National Enquirer (yes, I know it's a gossip rag :p ) that I read many, many years ago when Connery was in turn in Los Angeles after the incident, he left town when Stompanato made some threats. If there's some truth to both accounts, I guess it's one thing to feel confident when you stand up to a gangster on your own turf, but when you're on his turf, it's a different story and who wouldn't fear for his safety?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2jWSJFErV0

Yes superado I think you are correct. in America the gangster would have all his friends around him so Connery would have to be careful. But Connery is a warrior in real life and for that he has my respect.