Why weren't Telly Savalas or Donald Pleasence called back for DAF?

Is it known why either of these two guys weren't called back to replay the role of Blofeld in DAF?

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    That's a good question. I don't know that I've ever seen anything specific. Pleasence was kind of a last minute replacement, and though he had the creepy look of a villain, I never thought he nailed the part. I suspect that the producers were trying to distance themselves from OHMSS on some level, so that's part of the reason why Tavalas wasn't brought back.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Please in which film was donald Plesence as Blofeld? I know that Telly Savalas was in the ohmss, but not the other actor.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Pleasence was playing Blofeld in YOLT

That aside, he looked much meaner in the Columbo episode (no scar in the face etc.) than as Blofeld.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Is it known why either of these two guys weren't called back to replay the role of Blofeld in DAF?

If I remember correctly, none of the main villains showed up in a second Bond movie at that time.
    Was just part of the formula.

• Doctor WhoDoctor Who Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Doctor Who wrote:

If I remember correctly, none of the main villains showed up in a second Bond movie at that time.
    Was just part of the formula.

What do you mean? Blofeld is the main villain back to back in three different movies (YOLT, OHMSS, and DAF).
  • Doctor WhoDoctor Who Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    That's a good question. I don't know that I've ever seen anything specific. Pleasence was kind of a last minute replacement, and though he had the creepy look of a villain, I never thought he nailed the part. I suspect that the producers were trying to distance themselves from OHMSS on some level, so that's part of the reason why Tavalas wasn't brought back.

I like him better than Savalas to be honest. Savalas reminded me too much of a thug, and the contrast between his commanding presence, with that of the obviously younger Bond, it made it seem like Blofeld was a father lecturing a young punk. Out of all the onscreen Blofelds I feel Pleasance is the only one who had came off as both creepy, sadistic, megalomaniac, and psychotic as well as intelligent - All features I tend to associate with Blofeld. Gray on the other hand played him too soft - like a corrupt CEO rather than a demented killer who executes his subordinates for to the slightest infraction.
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    Also you had the usual odd casting choices with that era. You had Charles Gray showing up as Dikko Henderson in YOLT. Then a few years later, he was Blofeld. I would imagine it could have been confusing for cinemagoers. If your were watching a YOLT and DAF double bill, you'd see him getting knifed in the back in one, and then chased by Connery in the next.
    The early movies were on almost permanent double bills which cycled around the cinema for years after their initial release.

Ah. The double bill. All day sitting in a cinema watching the movies over and over for the price of one ticket. :)
    Doctor Who wrote:

What do you mean? Blofeld is the main villain back to back in three different movies (YOLT, OHMSS, and DAF).

I mean, that the main villain actors from the previous movies did not return (well - mostly because their role has been killed admittedly) and the audiences may not have been used by repetitions of that kind on the bad side.

Of course you may object that Team Bond was repeated - but those where not villains and I guess that the main evil part had to be fresh.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    It's really strange to have cast a former ally as the main villain, but the oposite has been done as late als Goldeneye with Joe Don Baker (Whitaker in TLD and Jack Wade in the Brosnan films). Imagine Christoph Waltz or Javier Bardem showing up as good guys in Bond 25... ?:)
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    MrGore wrote:
    Also you had the usual odd casting choices with that era. You had Charles Gray showing up as Dikko Henderson in YOLT. Then a few years later, he was Blofeld. I would imagine it could have been confusing for cinemagoers. If your were watching a YOLT and DAF double bill, you'd see him getting knifed in the back in one, and then chased by Connery in the next.
    The early movies were on almost permanent double bills which cycled around the cinema for years after their initial release.

Ah. The double bill. All day sitting in a cinema watching the movies over and over for the price of one ticket. :)

I think people in the UK were used to actors playing different roles. It's amusing how many actors from the Bond films you'll see repeat in The Saint in different roles, and they'll even play different characters in episodes in the same series. I don't think we'll see things like this today because we no longer have an apparent actor shortage!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    ...the main villain actors from the previous movies did not return (well - mostly because their role has been killed admittedly) and the audiences may not have been used by repetitions of that kind on the bad side...
    I cant think of any other movie series at the time with recurring villains, but Batman was on TV at this time. They did have three different Catwomen, but Cesar Romero, Frank Gorshin, and Burgess Merideth were always the Joker, Riddler and Penguin. I have to assume they were aware of Batman, since they were doing the films in a similar campy style by Diamonds..., and Adam West was considered as a possibe Bond
    MattS wrote:
    I think people in the UK were used to actors playing different roles. It's amusing how many actors from the Bond films you'll see repeat in The Saint in different roles, and they'll even play different characters in episodes in the same series. I don't think we'll see things like this today because we no longer have an apparent actor shortage!
    plus now we have DVD libraries or nettflix, we can compare and contrast and overanalyse these films at our convenience, whereas in 1971 we had to rely on our memories. I'm sure normal people never noticed the recycled supporting actors.
    MrGore wrote:
    If your were watching a YOLT and DAF double bill, you'd see him getting knifed in the back in one, and then chased by Connery in the next.
    what were some examples of the pairings? I know I saw a ...Golden Gun/...Spy... doublebill the summer between the Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. I can imagine they might have wanted to pull OHMSS out of circulation, and that a YOLT /DAF double bill would be much more popular, but that just makes it additionally silly that they reused an actor from the earlier movie for a different character. Presuming the doublebills were already an established thing by 1971.

Maybe Pleasance was a fake Blofeld the whole time, and Dikko the real, undetected Blofeld who faked his own death? Savalas is yet another fake Blofeld, neatly explaining the apparent plothole in OHMSS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I can't see savalas as Blofeld in DAF, Grey was the camp Blofeld that the tone of DAF warranted, maybe if the film had a more serious tone it would have been great to see connery and savalas together on screen.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    MattS wrote:
    plus now we have DVD libraries or nettflix, we can compare and contrast and overanalyse these films at our convenience, whereas in 1971 we had to rely on our memories. I'm sure normal people never noticed the recycled supporting actors.

You could have watched The Saint in 1962 and seen Shirley Eaton play two different characters in episodes that aired less than two months apart. If I were watching the show then, I don't think I would have forgotten her! Or Justine Lord as two different characters in two episodes that aired less than a month apart, and then doing the same thing again a year later! On the other hand, Terry Moutain playing countless different background characters in the same year is forgettable.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Dikko the real, undetected Blofeld who faked his own death?

But then, where was "Dikko's" wooden leg in DAF. Gray/Blofeld was pretty mobile in that one. Although, now I come to think of it, he did sit behind that desk in the penthouse suite quite a lot.

Maybe hiding the wooden leg!
    MrGore wrote:

Who's to say that Blofeld, who we're led to believe has had plastic surgery to change his looks (as the novels suggest, too), wasn't using Henderson as a model to confuse the British Secret Service?

Of course, this doesn't explain how Blofeld goes from average sized men in YOLT and OHMSS to a prancing giant in DAF, but maybe he wore lifts.
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

I like him better than Savalas to be honest. Savalas reminded me too much of a thug, and the contrast between his commanding presence, with that of the obviously younger Bond, it made it seem like Blofeld was a father lecturing a young punk. Out of all the onscreen Blofelds I feel Pleasance is the only one who had came off as both creepy, sadistic, megalomaniac, and psychotic as well as intelligent - All features I tend to associate with Blofeld. Gray on the other hand played him too soft - like a corrupt CEO rather than a demented killer who executes his subordinates for to the slightest infraction.
    Pleasence often played villains, usually of the rodent-like nervous but scheming sort. He was effective in Fantastic Voyage. His quasi-Nazi look, especially the shaved head, was certainly correct for a role calling for what you describe. I'm not sure he was right for Blofeld by that point, though. Certainly, his nasally, slightly whiny voice doesn't correspond to the Blofeld we'd heard in the previous films, though one could argue that perhaps the voice was electronically filtered to conceal his true identity. But the cadence of the speech was off, as was his demeanor. Perhaps Pleasence used the book for inspiration and decided to play Blofeld as half mad. I think if he'd been more menacingly understated -- closer to Joseph Wiseman's Dr. No -- it might have worked better. As it stands, I accept him as Blofeld for the film, but am still somewhat underwhelmed. I really wish they'd gone with Jan Werich. The fact that he looked too much like Father Christmas is exactly the reason why, played correctly, he would have been so wonderfully creepy.

I actually like Gray's performance, including the CEO thing. If the film had had a darker tone, he wouldn't have been so effete, and it would have been closer to how Blofeld behaves in the book. But that he was so much like any other venal leader, business, industrial, military, or criminal, makes him authentic in concept.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,208Chief of Staff
    Gassy Man wrote:

I actually like Gray's performance, including the CEO thing. If the film had had a darker tone, he wouldn't have been so effete, and it would have been closer to how Blofeld behaves in the book.

Blofeld isn't in the book, GM! I'm with you in enjoying Gray's performance, and he was certainly capable of a much darker performance (The Devil Rides Out being the best example).
    Donald Pleasence might have been a better Blofeld with more time to prepare for the role, rather than being cast at a moment's notice. He was definitely an excellent actor.
    Barbel wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

I actually like Gray's performance, including the CEO thing. If the film had had a darker tone, he wouldn't have been so effete, and it would have been closer to how Blofeld behaves in the book.

Blofeld isn't in the book, GM! I'm with you in enjoying Gray's performance, and he was certainly capable of a much darker performance (The Devil Rides Out being the best example).
    Donald Pleasence might have been a better Blofeld with more time to prepare for the role, rather than being cast at a moment's notice. He was definitely an excellent actor.
    Sorry, I was referring to YOLT and didn't make that clear. Good point.
    Eric Pohlman, who does the voice of the hidden Blofeld in FRWL and TB, would have been closer to the Blofeld of the book who was described in TB as weighing 20 stone. Pohlman was heavyset in appearance himself.

Pleasance seems too lightweight in stature in YOLT.

And also, what were EON doing between late 1965 and the start of shooting on YOLT that they left the villain casting so late. It was the first time they'd had a two year gap between movies, so they had time.
    Or was it that they didn't have a script until late? Might explain some of the uneven quality of YOLT, especially later in the movie.
    MrGore wrote:

what were EON doing between late 1965 and the start of shooting on YOLT that they left the villain casting so late. It was the first time they'd had a two year gap between movies, so they had time.
    Or was it that they didn't have a script until late? Might explain some of the uneven quality of YOLT, especially later in the movie.

Blofeld had been cast in advance by Harry Saltzman with Czech actor Jan Werich.

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

About five days into shooting, both Cubby Broccoli and director Lewis Gilbert realised the casting wasn't working- Werich was coming across as too kind and grandfatherly, "a benevolent Santa Claus"- and he was replaced very quickly with Donald Pleasence (hence my comment above about "a moment's notice"). Pleasence reshot the scenes Werich had been already filmed in.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    MrGore wrote:

what were EON doing between late 1965 and the start of shooting on YOLT that they left the villain casting so late. It was the first time they'd had a two year gap between movies, so they had time.

Blofeld had been cast in advance by Harry Saltzman with Czech actor Jan Werich.

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

About five days into shooting, both Cubby Broccoli and director Lewis Gilbert realised the casting wasn't working- Werich was coming across as too kind and grandfatherly, "a benevolent Santa Claus"- and he was replaced very quickly with Donald Pleasence (hence my comment above about "a moment's notice"). Pleasence reshot the scenes Werich had been already filmed in.
    Didn't they put glue or something on his face to achieve ze proper effuct of a large scar down his right eye?
    The scar is still unexplained.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, Poor old Donald had to have his scar held together with super glue. A very painful process.
    There is one brief glimpse of Werich ( well the top of his head, you can see hair ) when Bond
    Meets Blofeld in the Volcano control room.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Didn't they put glue or something on his face to achieve ze proper effuct of a large scar down his right eye?
    The scar is still unexplained.

From "James Bond In The Cinema” by John Brosnan:

“Pleasence tells how, in the make-up room at Pinewood, they tried him first with a hump to make him look more unusual, then with a limp, a beard and a lame hand. They finally settled on a scar.”

Whether this achieved "ze proper effuct" is arguable. A film critic described him as looking like an egg that had cracked on the boil.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,151MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

John Brosnan used to pop into my shop a couple of times a year and sign any copies of his books that were in stock. He wrote under some pen names as well like Harry Adam Knight (HAK) - he had a really good sense of humour. He was a lovely man and loved James Bond but hated the way that the films had descended into "comedies" as he called them. He updated the original James Bond In The Cinema in the early 80's with some scathing comments and Cubby was successful in getting the book banned in the UK. I managed to get copies from the USA and they sold very well.

John suffered from alcoholism and passed away in the early part of this century. Unfortunately I didn't hear of his passing for some time and henceforth did not attend his funeral.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    That's good information, CHB, thank you. JBITC (the original) was my much beloved go-to Bond film reference book back in the 70s.

For fear of being sued, I'll be vague here: a certain book about the films of a well-known action star plagiarised part of Brosnan's book. Did he ever mention this, and have you ever heard about it? (I'll send more details by PM if you like, not wanting to derail this thread.)
    Yes, the original JBITC was a gift to me from my grandfather when it was first published in 1972 when I was 14 and laid up off school having had my appendix removed and I devoured it countless times.

Please feel free to PM me about John Brosnan.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

John Brosnan used to pop into my shop a couple of times a year and sign any copies of his books that were in stock. He wrote under some pen names as well like Harry Adam Knight (HAK) - he had a really good sense of humour. He was a lovely man and loved James Bond but hated the way that the films had descended into "comedies" as he called them. He updated the original James Bond In The Cinema in the early 80's with some scathing comments and Cubby was successful in getting the book banned in the UK. I managed to get copies from the USA and they sold very well.

John suffered from alcoholism and passed away in the early part of this century. Unfortunately I didn't hear of his passing for some time and henceforth did not attend his funeral.

What a terrible shame. James Bond at the Cinema was the first book about Bond I ever read, as the library near where I lived stocked it in the 70s. I was thrilled to find a charity shop copy last year. Back then John was the only Brosnan I associated with Bond!

I must admit I'm tempted to sign copies of my book when I see them in the shops, but I'm frightened I'd get turfed out for defacing the stock!
    IanFryer wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

What a terrible shame. James Bond at the Cinema was the first book about Bond I ever read, as the library near where I lived stocked it in the 70s. I was thrilled to find a charity shop copy last year. Back then John was the only Brosnan I associated with Bond!

I must admit I'm tempted to sign copies of my book when I see them in the shops, but I'm frightened I'd get turfed out for defacing the stock!

I've just googled your name - your books look most interesting - I am on my way to England tomorrow for a holiday and I will most certainly pick up a copy. I didn't usually sell books from new apart from the imports I got from the USA but these sort of books would have sold well in my shop. John was a gentleman and I always took a photo when he came in of him signing so I could offer a proof of provenance as a genuine signed book. I used to take him to lunch at the local pub when he came in and he was a very interesting raconteur and is sadly missed.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Thank you for your memories and for another sale! It can usually be found at branches of Waterstones. My next one is about British horror movies as it due on sale in October. One on spy movies is planned for the future, which I'm really looking forward to getting to work on.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Telly savalas was a busy man in the early 70's between 1970 and 1973 he did 11 movies 5 in 1972 so maybe he was too busy for DAF?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood