Is Pierce the forgotten Bond?

The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent
Sean will always have his legendary status. Is more often than not voted as the best Bond. Lazenby having appeared in (arguably) the best and closest to the novel film. Roger through his reign as the (currently) longest serving Bond, his popularity with cinema audiences and affection for many growing up in his era. Tim as the closest interpretation of Fleming's Bond and demanding respect from all but the most critical of objectors (Higgy Darling). DC (like Roger) very popular amongst his generation of Bond fans and bringing a new, grittier, 'emotionally detached' (except when he becomes emotionally attached) take on the role and having appeared in many people's top 5 Bond film CR and the box office, loved by the general public SF. All makes me think, is Pierce the most forgotten and disregarded Bond of all? Perhaps we don't have many born in the late 80's forum members on here but there just doesn't seem much emotional affection for him. Generally, everyone's favourite Bond is the one they grew up with isn't it? Being born in the early Seventies for me it's Roger but where is the Pierce Brigade? Personally, I'm a big fan of Pierce, as Bond and in other roles and I think he incorporates every other Bond actor's interpretation of the character. But perhaps that is the issue? Was he just too cinematic and bland? Or was it just the scripts, stories and casting of other characters that really let him down..? Just got me thinking.
"Any of the opposition around..?"

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    The Pierce Brigade as you call it are there, but they are less visible and less loud than the Craig fans. The younger generation is used to be more aggressive and loud on the internet while people "my age" (I am 42) are from a time where the internet was there for actually searching for something or downloading a picture which took five minutes :))

Pierce is not the forgotten Bond. He will rise to Moore status as soon as Craig is the "former" Bond. Then it will be Craig who steps into the difficult spot.

Pierce is widely loved still, all four films of him were generally well received by critics and the audience at the time. That doesn't go away, no matter how DAD may be received today. Remember Craig has two films that instantly got received with mixed reviews at best and QOS is the biggest disappointment since LTK when it comes to audience or critic reaction.

Brosnan films are between 22 and 15 years old, that is always the time when films age and are in between of being "aging" and "becoming classics".
    The same will happen to Craig and probably faster than with Brosnan once a new actor, finally, will take over the role.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    He isn't, but there is a chance he might become that. Not a great chance, but...
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I was born in the mid 70's so Sir Roger is my Bond too, but DC is my most relatable Bond as he's nearest my age while being current. Connery and Moore films were mixed up in my childhood with me just relishing any Bond film that was on TV regardless of actor, I was sad when Moore left the role but enjoyed Dalton, Brosnan heralded a new era for me and I was not aware of him outside of Bond I loved all of Brozzers films up until DAD, halfway through that film at the cinema I felt cold, at that point Bourne had taken over... It wasn't pierce's fault, I just felt Bond had become something that didn't excite me. Of course I rematched the back catalogue but couldn't care less if they ever made another one, then my favourite actor got the role and that cemented my disinterest in new bonds...
    Until I actually went and watched CR and the fires were relit. So as much as I do love Brosnan and his first films it was on his watch that dad was made, he'll never be forgotten with that film :D
    brozzer has a strong following, he was excellent and still is.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Then it will be Craig who steps into the difficult spot.
    Dream on.
    Because there's...
    giphy.gif
    that will ever happen. You dislike Craig so much that you forget that he reinvented the role. That's something that will be talked about for years...maybe decades after he leaves the role.
    a reasonable rate of return
    Dream on.
    Because there's...
    giphy.gif
    that will ever happen. You dislike Craig so much that you forget that he reinvented the role. That's something that will be talked about for years...maybe decades after he leaves the role.

Wishful thinking, he'll be forgotten pretty fast once a new actor has taken over. He'll have his hardcore fans as all the Bond actors have.
    I don't dislike Craig, I just find him ridiculously overrated and he is. I can't see how he reinvented anything by the way. Except having no MP and Q at first and not caring for shaken not stirred...
    Unless you call doing the Bourne reinvention ;)
    Dalton Rulez™
    Dream on.
    Because there's...
    giphy.gif

Wishful thinking, he'll be forgotten pretty fast once a new actor has taken over. He'll have his hardcore fans as all the Bond actors have.
    I don't dislike Craig, I just find him ridiculously overrated and he is. I can't see how he reinvented anything by the way. Except having no MP and Q at first and not caring for shaken not stirred...
    Unless you call doing the Bourne reinvention ;)

You are surely confused Jason! How can Bond do Bourne when Bourne is a reiteration of Bond? Ludlum used a template made by Fleming, he even used Kenneth Ross's character as Bournes main protagonist, a government agent with amnesia? Hmmm that sounds familiar. Craig starred as Bond in the reinvention and reboot of Bond, the fact he has brought many new fans into the bond fold and done good business is a good thing irrelevant of how highly you rate him.
    I am not confused, the books have nothing to do how the cinematic Bond copied the cinematic Bourne.

Craig has brought in new fans as has any of his predecessors and will his successor. And only SF (and then SP) was more successful ticket sales wise than any of Brosnan's films.

As I said, many here overrate the whole era quite a bit, probably blinded by the billion dollar BO that happened six years after Craig was in CR.

Craig is just another Bond like anyone that came after Connery, expect the one actor that really did reinvent the character, Sir Rog. Craig has done nothing even comparable in scope.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    Tim as the closest interpretation of Fleming's Bond and demanding respect from all but the most critical of objectors

tumblr_lvvadaeRM71r8058ko1_500.gif
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Depends a lot on when you grew up. All of my mates grew up with Brosnan and love GE/TND. They know Sean, they have an idea of Roger but Lazenby and Dalton are unknown.

Jason, regardless of your opinion of Craig (I'm not a fan either) he won't be forgotten. He's done enough films with two very well received ones.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    for Chriscoop and anyone who is interested in what Doug Liman, director of The Bourne Identity has to say about Bond.

“I felt so insecure while I was making The Bourne Identity that I was making a poor man’s spy movie. There was someone on the set who had the Mission: Impossible ring tone on his phone, and every time his phone rang it drove me nuts because I was afraid my movie was never going to be as good as Mission: Impossible. It was never going to be as good as James Bond. So it was really surreal afterwards to go and see the next James Bond film, and be like, ‘Oh, I did make a James Bond film, because now the James Bond film looks like The Bourne Identity.’ So given the emotional insecurity I bring to my craft, that was really surreal. I would still love to direct a James Bond film, but I’m not sure if I have or haven’t.”

Here is the whole article:
    http://screenrant.com/doug-liman-james-bond-movie-direct/

Bond stopped being original by 2006 which is a shame. Brosnan's run will be viewed upon very favourably compared to this era in 20 years from now.
    Dalton Rulez™
    edited September 2017
    Weren't you who said that Bond stopped making an impact by 79's Moonraker? You know that that also includes GE/TND/TWINE and DAD?
    Also, please stop having illusions of objectivity on Craig. Since you love Brozzer so much, please have the decency to...
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    Name most topics (apart from Off-Topic) that you've posted in and I am willing to bet that you've brought up a distasteful (according to me, anyway) critique on the era at least once.
    giphy.gif
    Name it.

You know, as much as I like some of the other things you've said, your stance on the Craig era is even more unforgiving as Higgy-babe's view on the Dalton era (if that is even possible).
    I strongly disagree with "Bond stopped being original by 2006".

CR was a masterpiece in the 007 universe.

As much as I like Brosnan for his personality and his phantastic look (how I envy him for his hair...), I find his 4 movies mediocre with not much substance to become future classics. In the Brosnan era this started and I cringe everytime when I see 007 firing a machine pistol and mowing down dozens of baddies.

CR on the contrary has the substance to become a Classic imo.

You know, as much as I like some of the other things you've said, your stance on the Craig era is even more unforgiving as Higgy-babe's view on the Dalton era (if that is even possible).

Hey, I see what you are doing here :v

You compare my substantial and well- laid out and - founded Dalton dislike with some random Craig hater ;%

That won't fly, young man! 8-)

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I don't think so, but then again I was born in 89' so I grew up with him as Bond. For a decade or so of my life he WAS Bond. I prefer Craig and his interpretation now but I'll always have a soft spot for Pierce.
    Higgins wrote:

You compare my substantial and well- laid out and - founded Dalton dislike with some random Craig hater ;%

That won't fly, young man! 8-)
    You're right, Higgypussy.
    I apologise.

(Also, you failed to point it out, so I will do the honours. The name is Higgins X-( X-( X-()
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,216Chief of Staff
    :)) :)) :))
    The name is Higgins X-( X-( X-()

AND THIS!!!!! X-( X-( X-(

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Prof Higgins.
    Professor-Higgins.jpg
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,216Chief of Staff
    We've grown accustomed to his ways.
    Why can't Higgins be more like ....... we'll anyone ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Higgins wrote:
    I strongly disagree with "Bond stopped being original by 2006".

CR was a masterpiece in the 007 universe.

As much as I like Brosnan for his personality and his phantastic look (how I envy him for his hair...), I find his 4 movies mediocre with not much substance to become future classics. In the Brosnan era this started and I cringe everytime when I see 007 firing a machine pistol and mowing down dozens of baddies.

CR on the contrary has the substance to become a Classic imo.

+1
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Time will be kind to the Brosnan era...just wait.

Currently, they are considered uncool due to the "gritty" Craig era, but fans will miss the classic/modern feel of the Brosnan films with all 007 trademarks in place.

Plus he will always be loved by the Goldeneye 64 generation.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    No, Pierce is anything but forgotten! He's the best! -{
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    giphy.gif

Love TWINE, love Brosnan in it and adore the suits. He's Bond in this film -{
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    for Chriscoop and anyone who is interested in what Doug Liman, director of The Bourne Identity has to say about Bond.

“I felt so insecure while I was making The Bourne Identity that I was making a poor man’s spy movie. There was someone on the set who had the Mission: Impossible ring tone on his phone, and every time his phone rang it drove me nuts because I was afraid my movie was never going to be as good as Mission: Impossible. It was never going to be as good as James Bond. So it was really surreal afterwards to go and see the next James Bond film, and be like, ‘Oh, I did make a James Bond film, because now the James Bond film looks like The Bourne Identity.’ So given the emotional insecurity I bring to my craft, that was really surreal. I would still love to direct a James Bond film, but I’m not sure if I have or haven’t.”

Here is the whole article:
    http://screenrant.com/doug-liman-james-bond-movie-direct/

Bond stopped being original by 2006 which is a shame. Brosnan's run will be viewed upon very favourably compared to this era in 20 years from now.

Read it and posted it yesterday afternoon.
  • Sterling ArcherSterling Archer Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Pierce is far from the forgotten Bond. Dalton and Lazenby hold that title. For my generation, many see him as Bond. He was also forever immortalized through the N64 Goldeneye game.

Love TWINE, love Brosnan in it and adore the suits. He's Bond in this film -{

Everybody knows my opinion about Sir Roger, but imo no Bond ever looked better the part than Brosnen in TND and TWINE {[]

Pierce who ? :p

I seem to remember when Pierce was playing 007, most fans
    And film critics loved him ? Only after ( the amittedly fantastic
    CR ) did the grumbling start.
    Pierce was the right man for his time, just as Daniel is now and the
    next guy will also be the right choice -{
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    No, GL and TD are.
    "Bond, James Bond"
    Brosnan certainly isn't the forgotten Bond now. But one can argue that Brosnan is the bland Bond, the one who is the least distinctive of the Bond actors. He did star in four movies, but I think he might become the forgotten Bond some time in the future.