Skyfall Tuxedo Alternative Help.

So, I'm getting married in December and decided to throw the dice on getting a tux from Jbsuits.com (with plenty of time to rent a tux in case things go south). Things I'd have to get separately are the bowtie, Cummerbund, shirt, cufflinks, and shoes. I'm looking for a little help in choosing and finding alternatives.

1. Bowtie

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/BS079ST

I chose the slim self tie.

2. Cummerbund

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/CU001

What do you guys think so far?

Comments

• Not bad. When you get the tux post some pics. I've been curious about jbsuits myself,
    I've looked at the SkyFall PTS suit and the Glen Check.

Congrats on the nuptials BTW man. Cheers. -{
    Agent007_1 wrote:
    So, I'm getting married in December and decided to throw the dice on getting a tux from Jbsuits.com (with plenty of time to rent a tux in case things go south). Things I'd have to get separately are the bowtie, Cummerbund, shirt, cufflinks, and shoes. I'm looking for a little help in choosing and finding alternatives.

1. Bowtie

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/BS079ST

I chose the slim self tie.

2. Cummerbund

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/CU001

What do you guys think so far?
    Sorry but that last hand... Nearly killed me.
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    Congrats

Charles Trywhitt do a pretty good midnight slim fit shawl tux if your jb one doesn't work out but do let us known what it's like when you get it.
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    GS wrote:
    Congrats

Charles Trywhitt do a pretty good midnight slim fit shawl tux if your jb one doesn't work out but do let us known what it's like when you get it.

I have the CT DJ and its great for the money. When looking it was the only one i found on the high street that came anywhere near decent black tie. It does have working cuff buttons though so may cost a little more if you need alterations.
  • Skyfallofpies2016Skyfallofpies2016 Essex, England Posts: 216MI6 Agent
    Vandrell wrote:
    GS wrote:
    Congrats

I have the CT DJ and its great for the money. When looking it was the only one i found on the high street that came anywhere near decent black tie. It does have working cuff buttons though so may cost a little more if you need alterations.

Ben Sherman on eBay is pretty good?

IMG_4586.png

IMG_4587.png
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Vandrell wrote:
    GS wrote:
    Congrats

Ben Sherman on eBay is pretty good?

IMG_4586.png

IMG_4587.png
    It has slim peak lapels and two buttons.
    Not exactly something I'd aim for.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    When I got married I had been trying to get a TF shawl collar Tux but was let down for various reasons and ended up going for a Peak Collar Tux with a T&A bow tie, never actually wore the Cumberland

IMG_1227.jpg
  • Agent007_1Agent007_1 Posts: 137MI6 Agent
    Thanks everyone. If you look around on this forum you can find a couple of examples of others getting this tuxedo from jbsuits.com.

What do you guys think of these for the shoes:

http://www.jcpenney.com/p/j-ferrar-corvus-mens-plain-toe-oxford-shoes/pp5006331398?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100250175&deptId=dept20000018&urlState=/g/jf-jferrar-mens-dress-shoes-black/N-bwo42D1nopj3Z10dZ12z
  • Agent Double-O DanielAgent Double-O Daniel Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    Meh, I would be careful about going with synthetic. I tend to stick with genuine leather for dress shoes,at least for the uppers. But looks wise they aren't bad.
    Agent007_1 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. If you look around on this forum you can find a couple of examples of others getting this tuxedo from jbsuits.com.

What do you guys think of these for the shoes:

http://www.jcpenney.com/p/j-ferrar-corvus-mens-plain-toe-oxford-shoes/pp5006331398?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100250175&deptId=dept20000018&urlState=/g/jf-jferrar-mens-dress-shoes-black/N-bwo42D1nopj3Z10dZ12z
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    I got the Skyfall tuxedo from JBSuits and was very happy with it. Hope yours turns out well!
    image.png
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Right! - Before you do anything else read this:

Blacktieguide.com

Secondly, emulating Bond is great, but make sure accessories, shoes etc and the fit are right for YOU.
    Very few of us are the same shape as Bond (any of them) even if we have similar looks or colouring.

Shoes should be plain black patent Oxfords or patent loafers if they are correct. Something Craig's Bond has always got wrong.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Everybody is welcome to post suggestions.

The suspenders I'm leaning towards

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L52KES0/ref=twister_B00QY9ZMP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • OK, nice. I still have my eye on the Thurston's.
    Agent007_1 wrote:
    Everybody is welcome to post suggestions.

The suspenders I'm leaning towards

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L52KES0/ref=twister_B00QY9ZMP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I got the Skyfall tuxedo from JBSuits and was very happy with it. Hope yours turns out well!
    image.png

And why exactly are you happy with it? There is so much wrong in that picture I don't know where to begin.....
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Oh my. :# Yeah not good but hey if someone is happy with it then I say wear it in good health.
    However, I do think that they shouldn't use pictures of the original suits or promo shots from one of the films to represent their actual merchandise.

Now that dinner suit DC is wearing is another story. Just stunning. :007) :D
    Peppermill wrote:
    image.png

And why exactly are you happy with it? There is so much wrong in that picture I don't know where to begin.....
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    If I were you I would pm Matt S, he may know some info on JB suits. Proceed with caution.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Peppermill wrote:
    image.png

I'm happy with it because I got it for €150, it fits, I need to wear it once a year and it makes me happy. That's all I need.
    Peppermill wrote:
    image.png

I'm happy with it because I got it for €150, it fits, I need to wear it once a year and it makes me happy. That's all I need.

.....But it doesn't fit....
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Peppermill wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

.....But it doesn't fit....

Ummm I wear it and I'm happy with it. Not quite sure why you feel the need to keep commenting on it. (And to be honest not quite sure why you felt the need to comment on it and be rude in the first place)
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    image.png

Don't listen to the negativity angelicbond, I think the tux looks great and I'm glad you're happy with it! I got the lookalike SF tux from Charles Trywhitt and while it obviously isn't the quality of the TF, I'm extremely happy with it and it's fantastic price!
    Thank you! Of course no cheap alternative will be the same look or quality as the Tom Ford, and I knew that going in. I wanted something inspired by it and it was my first Budget Bond outfit I got for a party and I have worn it a grand total of 3 times and it has done me very well:-)
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    Well said JTM.
    Angelicbond if you feel good in it you will exude Bond himself.
  • That is a very true statement. Confidence my friend. :007) Don't just wear it, own it. B-)
    GS wrote:
    Well said JTM.
    Angelicbond if you feel good in it you will exude Bond himself.
  • nafets47nafets47 FloridaPosts: 939MI6 Agent
    My friend if you like it and like how it fits that is all that matters.

F*ck everyone's opinion, rock the hell out of it. -{

Best,
    Stefan
    It was never my intention to be rude but I can see why it was perceived that way. So for that I apologize. However, there is a small, albeit essential, difference between being rude and being honest (what I was trying to be).

Let me try to elaborate in a more constructive way. If you still feel the same way you do now after this, please take nafets47’s opinion to heart and f*ck my opinion.

There are two things here that need to be separated from each other. Quality and fit. You can buy a $10.000,- suit, if it doesn’t fit well it will still look like crap, no matter how expensive it is. A cheap suit that fits like a glove will look a million times better than an ill-fitting expensive suit. So in your case I would take it to a tailor and spend about $ 40,- shortening the sleeves and have the waist taken in just a bit. I promise you it will look and feel a lot better.

I am blessed with an easy body to put a suit on, most suits I buy look good the moment I take them off the peg. However, I always drop by my tailor to have a few things altered because, as always, the devil is in the detail. That little investment of time and money makes a suit from looking good to looking great.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    There are two things here that need to be separated from each other. Quality and fit. You can buy a $10.000,- suit, if it doesn’t fit well it will still look like crap, no matter how expensive it is. A cheap suit that fits like a glove will look a million times better than an ill-fitting expensive suit. So in your case I would take it to a tailor and spend about $ 40,- shortening the sleeves and have the waist taken in just a bit. I promise you it will look and feel a lot better.

The sleeves need significant shortening, but I don't think he will be able to take the waist in without making a mess of the jacket. Waist suppression is done at the side seams in the rear of the jacket, but the way this jacket is cut, the front will distort if he does that. You can already see some distortion in the front because of that. The jacket is unfortunately not cut very well, and there's little a tailor can do about that. But sleeve shortening can be done easily as long as there are no working buttonholes. If there are working buttonholes (never recommended when purchasing online!), the sleeves can be shortened from the shoulder, but not very much unless the sleeves does not taper (though it looks like the sleeves taper, as they should). Because sleeves taper, the geometry of it means that shortening them more than an inch (these sleeves need about 2 inches shortened) would have a sleeve that is too narrow for the armhole (and possibly the upper arm).
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Well said sir. I know from experience that a relatively inexpensive suit can look like a higher end one.
    I bought a dark gray suit slim fit suit from MW and they did a really fine job of tailoring it. Ive had a lot of compliments on it, one from a then perspective employer during the interview. I bought it before I had even seen SkyFall and it turned out that it looks a lot like the Grey Rope Stripe and the Glen Check suits, especially since I usually wear it with a light blue dress shirt and SkyFall ish looking tie. When I watched the film I saw those suits and thought, cool they look like mine. :D

So a well fitting suit, or any piece of clothing can look a hundred times better. Plus you'll feel better wearing it. That confidence thing comes into play and the inner Bond comes out. :007)
    Peppermill wrote:
    It was never my intention to be rude but I can see why it was perceived that way. So for that I apologize. However, there is a small, albeit essential, difference between being rude and being honest (what I was trying to be).

Let me try to elaborate in a more constructive way. If you still feel the same way you do now after this, please take nafets47’s opinion to heart and f*ck my opinion.

I am blessed with an easy body to put a suit on, most suits I buy look good the moment I take them off the peg. However, I always drop by my tailor to have a few things altered because, as always, the devil is in the detail. That little investment of time and money makes a suit from looking good to looking great.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    To direct a comment at Agent007_1, JBSuits is a dishonest company that makes clothes better suited for a costume party than for a wedding (though many people wear ridiculous costume for a wedding these days anyway). The practice of using photos of clothes that aren't theirs when selling replicas is shameful. They have photos of celebrities all over their site that have no affiliation with the company, which is also dishonest. They use fake reviews (I can't prove it, but it's extremely unlikely that there would be multiple reviews on a product the day it is launched).

Their suits are made of synthetic blends, which no man should wear outside of athletic wear.

Although I have not purchased any clothes from them, I have no desire to do business with a company that has stolen my content to post in their own blog.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Welll I thought I was only gorgeous in my Skyfall tux lol.
    I think for the price the tux looks good. I agree that the sleeves do need shortened for AngelicBond, but most of the people I see wearing suits have the same issue. Other than that nitpicking I think it looks good.

I decided to purchase after reading reviews of purchasers from THIS site. I can't justify paying more than I'd be paying for the jbsuits tux. I can't find one to rent. Can get kinda close. But, I'm willing to roll the dice. You only live once....I mean twice.
    I hope you have a great wedding!