Billy Reid Peacoat BROWN leather??

Just recieved my Billy Reid Peacoat in navy and noticed that the leather details on this was brown and not the SA black. The navy color might also be a bit brigther than people have described it. Certainly not midnight blue. Is this a new model that I have mistakenly ordered?

Also the arms are really stiff but they might just have to be worn in a bit. Any information regarding this is appreciated!

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Just recieved my Billy Reid Peacoat in navy and noticed that the leather details on this was brown and not the SA black. The navy color might also be a bit brigther than people have described it. Certainly not midnight blue. Is this a new model that I have mistakenly ordered?

Also the arms are really stiff but they might just have to be worn in a bit. Any information regarding this is appreciated!
    If I remember correctly from the original run back in 2012 some people ended up with the brown leather instead of the SA black. It was pure chance if you ended up with the correct or incorrect color leather stripe because I don't think the site listed the leathers color, just that it had a leather stripe on the back collar.
  • TheExit148TheExit148 Posts: 562MI6 Agent
    I had thought that it was brown originally, but very dark brown. Then the reissue run was more "brown" in colour.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    It's complicated. It always is isn't it! The reality is I have my code from the same run that Daniel Craig bought his and it is black with some light brown accents through the cracks. It made it look brown in certain light. It could be that what looks like black is a coffee (no milk) brown...like the Dunhill jacket. The ones that they used in the movie have the same exact coloring. I am including two pictures, one without and one with a flash.
    IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Just checked mine and it seems a cross between very dark brown and black depending on the light

It's a great coat enjoy for what it is.

If you want it darker you could apply a little black shoe polish I guess - it is leather after alll (but I would leave as is in reality)

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • WilliamrobertsonWilliamrobertson Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    Just checked mine and it seems a cross between very dark brown and black depending on the light

It's a great coat enjoy for what it is.

If you want it darker you could apply a little black shoe polish I guess - it is leather after alll (but I would leave as is in reality)

Great tip, I'll try that!

Thanks for all the answers. Both interesting and helpful. Although mine is clearly brown as you can see in these images with and without flash. Any information about the stiffness?
    IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    It will break in...wear it to death....don't hang from elevators tho....
    Seriously it's a great coat I would not get too hung up on the colour - but I get it about getting as close to SA as possible. Doing that cost me a fortune on another project and while I do not regret it on reflection it was a tad extreme - so be careful! (this obsession can take over)

• kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Did you buy it direct from Billy Reid?

May be worth asking them if this is what the current stock is like. Maybe they have another in your size with darker leather.
  • Bentley Mark IVBentley Mark IV TexasPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    I currently own both (selling the SA as it is a tad small on me). The newer models are made of a wool/synthetic blend and are a true navy in color. The SA version is a midnight navy that appears black in all but bright lighting conditions. You really have to place the coat next to a true black item to see that it is indeed a shade blue. The blend isn't as soft or as heavy, but others have commented that the wool does not pill as it will with time and wear on the SA version. I find both to be equally nice in their own right. Hope this helps.
    IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

Here's some side-by-side comparison pictures. You can see the difference in color, leather, and the tag. The tag is cheapened quite a bit. The SA version's is framed in leather and sewn in on all sides. The size is circled in pen. The new tag appears to just be a generic BR bit.
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    As Bentley alluded to, it appears that BR made changes in the interest of durability.

The bright side is that the new brown leather looks and feels like the drum stuffed pull-up variety, which would likely tolerate age (and dry cleaning visits) much better than the original black/brown veg-tanned leather.

More on pull-up leather:
    https://leathermilk.com/pull-up-leather/
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The older versions weren't great. Easily pilled, wore quickly, and the leather on mine degraded badly at the cleaners. I even had most of the buttons fall off the first one :)) Not quite the price v quality ratio. Oddly enough the new blend version seems to be holding up much better.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

Here's some side-by-side comparison pictures. You can see the difference in color, leather, and the tag. The tag is cheapened quite a bit. The SA version's is framed in leather and sewn in on all sides. The size is circled in pen. The new tag appears to just be a generic BR bit.

I’ve never seen the “cheapened” version; have seen three versions (SA 100% wool, 80/20 blend and a different colour in 90/10. All labels have been stitched all round and size circled. Is the other example a fake?
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
    The newer version I displayed is the 80/20 blend. I purchased it at Nordstrom so I would certainly hope it is not a fake.
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    Looks like they have changed the label judging by images on the BR website. Hard to tell but also looks like some of the stitching detail may have changed too.
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

Shame about the newer labels, the leather framing on the originals is one of my favorite details on the coat.
    Looks like I picked up the last of the 'transitional' coats. Wool blend, new brown leather, and new brown leather-framed old-style tag.
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Cajun wrote:
    Looks like I picked up the last of the 'transitional' coats. Wool blend, new brown leather, and new brown leather-framed old-style tag.
    Lucky you mine is the newer style not that I mind but seeing the shots side by side you can def8nately see the difference. I guess thinking about the outfit it was worn with in the film midnight blue makes some sense.

Bond44 wrote:
    Lucky you mine is the newer style not that I mind but seeing the shots side by side you can def8nately see the difference. I guess thinking about the outfit it was worn with in the film midnight blue makes some sense.

Oh, I'm sure ours are identical save for maybe the tag. I only bought it last season. Cheers -{
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Cajun wrote:
    Bond44 wrote:

Oh, I'm sure ours are identical save for maybe the tag. I only bought it last season. Cheers -{
    Actually my bad looks like mine is transitional has the leather around the label but is lighter brown on the leather.

edited October 2017
    Bond44 wrote:
    Actually my bad looks like mine is transitional has the leather around the label but is lighter brown on the leather.

Good score then! -{

As a latecomer to the hobby, I was initially disappointed when I saw the coat's changes. Now, not so much.
    I edit, therefore I am.