Suit pants without belt loops

Hi a question for clothes experts in particular I expect Matt S. I wear a suit everyday and have done for decades. My suits have always had belt loops and I've always worn a belt.
I'd always associated a lack of belt with dinner suit pants.
I know the Tom Ford suits don't have belt loops I recently bought a couple of Anthony Sinclair suits and they have no loops but have tabs.
I'm interested in the reason for this other brands such as Hugo Boss always came with belt loops.
Anthony

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Hi a question for clothes experts in particular I expect Matt S. I wear a suit everyday and have done for decades. My suits have always had belt loops and I've always worn a belt.
    I'd always associated a lack of belt with dinner suit pants.
    I know the Tom Ford suits don't have belt loops I recently bought a couple of Anthony Sinclair suits and they have no loops but have tabs.
    I'm interested in the reason for this other brands such as Hugo Boss always came with belt loops.

These are called Daks slacks or pants. Connery had these type of pants on all of his suits. In fact the button for the side tab/adjuster was the hold down for Connery's/Bond's custom holsters. I'm sure Matt S will weigh in with a more detailed discussion with regard to the use of this type of slacks or pants.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Look around at his most recent posts in his blog.

He had done an infographic thanks to a comment I had made for this exact situation.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Belt loops are present on most suit trousers because most men believe that a suit in incomplete without a belt. Brands have convinced people of this because they make more money by selling belts and save money because belt loops are cheaper to make than side-adjusters. Men just like wearing belts too. This is why most suits have belt loops. Side-adjusters are a high-end detail that the typical suit like Hugo Boss won't have. They're also primarily a high-end English detail that people in other parts of the world don't understand. Tom Ford loves English style, so he puts them on the suits he makes. Ralph Lauren is the same.

Here's an article I wrote that might help explain them further: http://www.bondsuits.com/trouser-adjusters/

In regards to the term "Daks slacks" that Donald Grant gave, those are specific to the kind of trouser support that Connery wore with button tabs and elastic. Tom Ford and modern Anthony Sinclair trousers use side straps instead as a means of self support.

Here's a link to the visual guide that Dirty Punker mentioned: http://www.bondsuits.com/trouser-support-illustrated/
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    Once you switch to side-adjusters with your suits (provided the pants were properly tailored) you will not want to go back! I've found that they're both more comfortable and do a far superior job at keeping my trousers in place.
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys very helpful and informative
    Anthony
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Cheverian wrote:
    Once you switch to side-adjusters with your suits (provided the pants were properly tailored) you will not want to go back! I've found that they're both more comfortable and do a far superior job at keeping my trousers in place.

The side adjusters do give a nice clean look. However if you wear a gun in an IWB holster with this type of pants, you will find over time that your pants waist line will tend to wander south. That's why I had my Anthony Sinclair suit made with buttons inside the waist for suspenders. People who do protection work and routinely wear suits like U.S.S.S. and D.S.S. will often wear suspenders along with belts because of all the stuff they carry on their waistbands. Besides the gun, think extra magazines, handcuffs, ASP baton, radio etc.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:

The side adjusters do give a nice clean look. However if you wear a gun in an IWB holster with this type of pants, you will find over time that your pants waist line will tend to wander south. That's why I had my Anthony Sinclair suit made with buttons inside the waist for suspenders. People who do protection work and routinely wear suits like U.S.S.S. and D.S.S. will often wear suspenders along with belts because of all the stuff they carry on their waistbands. Besides the gun, think extra magazines, handcuffs, ASP baton, radio etc.

DG

Very interesting and informative! I hadn’t been thinking of law enforcement or executive protection. But it makes total sense. I’m an American with a concealed carry permit and I’ve used a shoulder holster once or twice with a suit a la Bond. In the Skyfall PTS I recall he kept his spare mags in his jacket pockets.

But I would amend my original post to say that belts and suspenders have their uses. Not to mention that they can be fun to wear. In general, though, I see too many American men who are unaware of the existence of side adjusters.
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:

Really interesting guys in my case all I carry is a Mont Blanc fountain pen.I guess I you think about the gear that soldiers carry had br thought about the gear that secret service guys carry.
    How on earth did Clint Eastwood conceal and support a S&W M 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel

DG

Very interesting and informative! I hadn’t been thinking of law enforcement or executive protection. But it makes total sense. I’m an American with a concealed carry permit and I’ve used a shoulder holster once or twice with a suit a la Bond. In the Skyfall PTS I recall he kept his spare mags in his jacket pockets.

But I would amend my original post to say that belts and suspenders have their uses. Not to mention that they can be fun to wear. In general, though, I see too many American men who are unaware of the existence of side adjusters.
    Anthony
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I have always hated belts, and rarely use them, if ever. Don't even own a decent belt - I just happen to have hips which are a bitt to wide to look good with a belt. I sometimes wear braces, but they tend to be uncomfortable. Side adjusters sound like a wonderful solution.

And I reserve my suspenders strictly to drag night only... but then, I'm not American. :))
  • ZingariZingari Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    A proper tailored English suit should have both side adjusters and buttons for braces. Personally I hate belts and often wear trousers with loops without a belt. loops imply the waist size is more 'generic' rather than tailored for the individual.

Side adjusters every time -{