Top 5 non-finale/main sets

heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
One reason why I've enjoyed re-watching the Bond films over and over is the quality of the sets - of course there is the Space Station, the Volcano and Lamont's poker room. But I'm more fascinated by the smaller sets. Here are my top 5:

For-Your-Eyes-Only-0460.jpg

5. Lisl's house on the beach. It's an attractive, extremely comfortable looking and "real" looking set. Looks lived in, which gives it an authentic quality.

Octopussy-377.jpg

4. Monsoon Palace dining room. It's the blend of simplicity overall and complexity on the finer details. The fruit bowl, the flowers in the background and greenery.

Dr-No-176.jpg

3. The spider room in Dr No. Ken Adam at his best, simple, haunting and odd. The whole thing of "put a chair" somewhere to give it that other element.

Goldeneye-0722.jpg

2. M's office in Goldeneye. I want this office. It's so 90s and well proportioned. While slightly dated by today's standards, it fits into that corporate time-warp. Without being as warped as the M's office of the previous generation. The positioning of Pierce and the furniture carries a modern elegance.

Goldfinger-428.jpg

1. Doesn't need much explanation. This is just perfection.

Special mentions:

Moonraker-054.jpg

M's office in Moonraker. But then again, Moonraker contains the best sets of any of them throughout...is this the biggest version of this office?

A-View-to-a-Kill-520.jpg

Stacy's kitchen in AVTAK. This is a very convincing set - perhaps it isn't? So much detail and on-point style. I really like Lamont's work in the 80s.
1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."

Comments

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Great post, although I'm surprised you rate the more domestic kitchens and living rooms so highly. Of the ones you mentioned above my favorites are the spider room and M's office in Moonraker.

One of my overall favorites is the Russian war room in OP where General Orlov gives his briefing.

Goldeneye has quite a few, like Severnaya and Facility...but I might be letting the video game influence me here.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    although I'm surprised you rate the more domestic kitchens and living rooms so highly

Naturally I'd rank the obvious choices quite highly (like the war room as you mention, the centrifuge etc.) - but I think I just love the detail in the more mundane settings...
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    These are wonderful. Stacy's kitchen especially -- totally authentic.

I've always loved M's office at MI6's Scottish headquarters. Partly for the atmosphere, but mostly for the Bernard Lee portrait on the wall. In my view, it's the best homage ever in a Bond film.
    cameos42.jpg
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    These are wonderful. Stacy's kitchen especially -- totally authentic.

I've always loved M's office at MI6's Scottish headquarters. Partly for the atmosphere, but mostly for the Bernard Lee portrait on the wall. In my view, it's the best homage ever in a Bond film.

I never noticed the portrait before! Too bad they didn't source this one:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-28_at_2.52.01_PM.png
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    A few jump to mind besides the ones already mentioned:

- Dr No's dinner room
    - Goldfingers room. Especially for the time, that must have been quite high tech stuff with that 'trick pool table.'
    - The briefing room in Thunderball where the double O's come together
    - The house where Willard Whyte was hiding. The Elrod house I believe it is called.
    - The escape pod and Atlantis of Stromberg I always loved. Especially with Barbara Bach in it.
    - Pretty much all the sets of Moonraker.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    Pretty much all the sets of Moonraker.

The hallway in which Bond/Goodhead go through to enter the meeting room (where they're supposed to be burnt alive) is incredible, it's only on screen for 10 seconds!

This...is...stunning:

Moonraker-696.jpg

"Better make that two."
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    The aquarium bed in Diamonds, Severnaya bunker in GoldenEye (especially since most of the foodstuffs were sourced from Russia) and the Aztecian sets in Moonraker are the ones that haven't been mentioned yet. I personally rate them quite highly.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    Pretty much all the sets of Moonraker.

The hallway in which Bond/Goodhead go through to enter the meeting room (where they're supposed to be burnt alive) is incredible, it's only on screen for 10 seconds!

This...is...stunning:

Moonraker-696.jpg

Amazing. I wished Ken Adam could have designed my future house, including monorails in the garden. What a genius that guy!
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Apparently there was a meeting room scene filmed on that set but it was never used, hence why for
    such a short screen time it was so elaborate, and Yes I too love it. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."