Jany Temime says John Varvatos made the Morocco Jacket

IMG_4173.jpg

???
Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.

Comments

• jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    Obviously matchless just copied it to release and make money out of. Think we need to speak to JV about producing the real jacket
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    This news is rather upsetting for those who bought the Matchless unlimited edition :#
    It's a bit bad to give official endorsement to a brand that for one hasn't been worn by bond and two is a replica of the sa version.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    That struck me when I saw it - it isn't too far removed from the common law tort of 'passing off' (although that would depend on a number of circumstances).

I wonder why JV hasn't spoken up sooner? Does any of Matchless's marketing material claim it was the jacket worn in those sequences?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    Be nice to get JV to do a run of the original though.....

Anyone have contacts there to investigate a 'made to order' run?
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Rather interesting.

Jany has got mixed up though on a few occasions with items.

Wonder if she has had a brainfart and meant Matchless but by accident is basically admitting they ripped off a JV jacket that she wanted in a diff colour??

I mean we all knew it was a JV jacket by design
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I may be wrong but doesnt jv usually put in unique stitching details? Particularly on hide garments?
    It is interesting that Matchless called it the Craig Blouson and not the Spectre blouson or bond blouson though.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I may be wrong but doesnt jv usually put in unique stitching details? Particularly on hide garments?
    It is interesting that Matchless called it the Craig Blouson and not the Spectre blouson or bond blouson though.

Jared (Ross) has the JV jacket (Martian) and Matchless so will be interesting for more details
    I guess the other scenario is that EON somehow own the design and thus sold the licence to anybody interested?????

Weird indeed though since the Jacket was already being sold by JV albeit in dark brown
    You may have a valid there! But why would jv not want the tie in to market if they made the screen used? Mind you they didn't really use bond to market the racer jacket.
    edited October 2017
    Indeed - all a bit odd, maybe she did drop a clanger :D

She told me that she personally designed the Tom Ford Ski Blouson (which of course we found an identical Moncler in Harrods at the time of filming in Solden except it was black) hence all a bit fishy
    It would be the first I've heard about EON owning a clothing design...
    Did Matchless ever use DCs / Bond image??

Maybe they just chucked it out there lol
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Didn't she say that the trousers on the Morocco outfit might've been from Tom Ford.
    Her memory must be, understandably, a bit rusty on such details but it was a large part of the movie.
    I'm sure she'd remember who made the jacket.
    Or maybe she is telling the truth.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    I reckon the infamous collar hooks of the screen used jacket, and subsequent lack thereof on the matchless retail version, could be of significant relevance. Note the JV split seam jacket (martian jacket) had collar hooks identical to the screen used jacket in Spectre.

If what we're all thinking turns out to be true, then F@#$%CK matchless. Seriously.

Do we know for sure that the Hinx Coat was an original matchless design? This may play into the shadiness.

2 years on and nothing has changed. :#
    they definitely did
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Did Matchless ever use DCs / Bond image??

Maybe they just chucked it out there lol
    Screenshot_20171008-154016.png
    I reckon the infamous collar hooks of the screen used jacket, and subsequent lack thereof on the matchless retail version, could be of significant relevance. Note the JV split seam jacket (martian jacket) had collar hooks identical to the screen used jacket in Spectre.

If what we're all thinking turns out to be true, then F@#$%CK matchless. Seriously.

Do we know for sure that the Hinx Coat was an original matchless design? This may play into the shadiness.

2 years on and nothing has changed. :#

Yeah - I simply assumed they found a jacket they liked (e.g. JV Martian & Moncler) and passed it onto TF and Matchless to copy and change minor details i.e colour. Maybe this is not the case regarding this jacket in question.

All very interesting and opened a can of worms indeed
    Chriscoop wrote:

Hmm thats not direct from Matchless though??? Have they tricked everybody just by calling it the Craig Blouson including their stockists lol?
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Hmm thats not direct from Matchless though??? Have they tricked everybody just by calling it the Craig Blouson including their stockists lol?

That image was on their website and marketing
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    "The curtain of truth is about to rise and disclose the stage on which the drama of a community took place. Those involved have been present since the dawn of history, pitched stubbornly against sand and wind. And the voice of the desert will (hopefully) cross the eons."
    a reasonable rate of return
    Ah ok!

Could Matchless have done some kind of licensing deal with JV for the design???

or has the lack of hooks on the matchless been done on purpose to avoid legal issues??

Seems all bizarre - we def need more info!!
    screenshot from the official matchless Instagram:

2017-10-09_2.png

I also remember getting other promotional emails from Matchless featuring the main poster of Bond in white tuxedo.
    Incontrovertibly they had some official license rights.
    Well in that marketing speel they are even claiming "Daniel Craig dressed in Matchless on set"

Wonder if Jany has had a Oops moment? I mean the design is clearly JV and predates the matchless
    I think those i touch with her ought to be very careful as to not spook her away.
    edited October 2017
    I think those i touch with her ought to be very careful as to not spook her away.

Good point
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent

It is possible. I commissioned Globetrotter to create a functional SA replica of Patrice's case (without contents) from Skyfall. A price of £2.5k was agreed and a prototype was created in fibreboard. Upon completion of said prototype EON killed the deal stone dead claiming ownership of the design which apart from the handle which was designed by The Armoury Department Ltd & which Globetrotter had utilised on their oversized Stabilist rifle case looked like any other Globetrotter case by design ...thanks guys! :#
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    Obviously matchless just copied it to release and make money out of. Think we need to speak to JV about producing the real jacket

Absolutely, in both the Soil color (The Martian) and in the Natural/Beige. Preferably in their more affordable Star USA line.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Jared (Ross) has the JV jacket (Martian) and Matchless so will be interesting for more details

Ross, please post more pics of the Martian along with comparisons to the Matchless (details, wight, etc).
    Chriscoop wrote:
    This news is rather upsetting for those who bought the Matchless unlimited edition :#
    It's a bit bad to give official endorsement to a brand that for one hasn't been worn by bond and two is a replica of the sa version.

Obviously the Morocco Jacket used on set is a copy of the JV Split Seam jacket but for the more desert/sand color. Whether the screen used jacket was actually made by Matchless or by the costume department is unknown. What always struck me as odd was how the retail version differed from the screen version. It would be fascinating to see the licensing agreement.

I see Jany's statement as an unintentional slip that merely confirms what we already learned a couple years ago.
    Unfortunately it may seem for Jv non of the features on the screen used jacket can be claimed as jv intellectual or design property, split seams on hide garments has been done before and by many brands, hook and eye closures, stand collars etc have also all been done before. It's why certain brands put certain cues on their products, ie jv putting the baseball / sharkstooth stitching on the marine blue racer. Someone could replicate that jacket exactly but omit the feature stitching detail and be beyond reproach. The actual suede jacket in Spectre has no unique features. For all we know Matchless made a very similar jacket 50 years ago and claimed the rights from EON? In any event if the screen used item was made by jv it's shoddy of eon to allow Matchless to milk it imho. It would be as bad as omega marketing a watch as screen accurate when in fact the screen used watch was made by Rolex.
    I will also add that Matchless is an old quality brand with much history to laude up as marketing, this sort of thing cheapens that ideal, and this is coming from someone who spent over £1200 on one of their products recently.
    ppw3o6r wrote:

It is possible. I commissioned Globetrotter to create a functional SA replica of Patrice's case (without contents) from Skyfall. A price of £2.5k was agreed and a prototype was created in fibreboard. Upon completion of said prototype EON killed the deal stone dead claiming ownership of the design which apart from the handle which was designed by The Armoury Department Ltd & which Globetrotter had utilised on their oversized Stabilist rifle case looked like any other Globetrotter case by design ...thanks guys! :#

:o :o :o Ouch! That seems a bit tight of EON to say the least. :(
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Wasn't David Z having a conversation with the Italian Owner of Matchless, and was going to do an interview with him about how the jacket came to be etc.