Daniel Craig has broken the record!

jorgem1jorgem1 Posts: 136MI6 Agent
It has been exactly 12 years when Daniel Craig was announced has the 6th James Bond on October 14, 2005. And he will definitely beat Roger Moore's record as the longest serving Bond! -{

Today is also (the late) Roger Moore's 90th birthday.

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    He hasn’t broken Moore’s record of time served as Bond yet (but he will). However, it’s unlikely that Craig will surpass the time Moore spent as Bond on screen, and I think number of films counts more than anything.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I don't Sir Rogers 6 will be broken, unless someone like Disney buys the franchise and knocks out a film every other year and they use a young actor, but even then 12-14 years is a long time.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • jorgem1jorgem1 Posts: 136MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    He hasn’t broken Moore’s record of time served as Bond yet (but he will). However, it’s unlikely that Craig will surpass the time Moore spent as Bond on screen, and I think number of films counts more than anything.

Well, Roger Moore was anounnced on August 1, 1972 I believe, his last Bond film AVTAK was premiered on June 13, 1985 in the UK, and his retirement as Bond was announced around December 1985. So he spent more than 13 years, Dalton's announcement as the 4th Bond happened in August 1986.

AVTAK was released on VHS in the USA around December 1985 also. Buying those videotapes back then would cost you about $60-70!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,306Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I don't Sir Rogers 6 will be broken

7!!!
    I don't think Sir Rogers 7 will be broken. 6, 7 what's a bond film between friends.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,306Chief of Staff
    Depends which one, I suppose! :)
    Avtak!
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Pretty crazy that Roger's record will be broken! However it's also crazy to that by the time Bond 25 comes out Daniel would have been in the role for 14 plus years. And only made the 5 films in that period. Bit of a shame in that sense. Should definitely have been 6. But it's just the way it's gone
    jorgem1 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Well, Roger Moore was anounnced on August 1, 1972 I believe, his last Bond film AVTAK was premiered on June 13, 1985 in the UK, and his retirement as Bond was announced around December 1985. So he spent more than 13 years, Dalton's announcement as the 4th Bond happened in August 1986.

AVTAK was released on VHS in the USA around December 1985 also. Buying those videotapes back then would cost you about $60-70!

So there you go. Roger Moore was in the role for 13 years and it has only been 12 for Craig.

As for time on screen, Moore has 14 hours and 46 minutes. Craig only has 9 hours and 2 minutes so far.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore played Roger Moore for 13 years and 7 movies.
    Craig has not even started there - just sayin....

And I was just talking with the wive the other night:
    He took over the role from a truely iconic actor who defined the role and from day one he played it his way and his version -successfully and made it his very own. That is somehing remarkable!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    No-one will ever equal what Roger did. -{
    figures may be bettered, or length of tenure discussed.
    Roger made the Role his own, and the public loved him
    For it. For many years on screen he put the Great in Britain,
    And always kept the British end up. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    No-one will ever equal what Roger did. -{
    figures may be bettered, or length of tenure discussed.
    Roger made the Role his own, and the public loved him
    For it. For many years on screen he put the Great in Britain,
    And always kept the British end up. -{

RM was such a great Bond, and being such doesn't necessarily take away from the other guys. For a long time, poor Sir Rog suffered as Sir Sean's second fiddle, which still continues today but at least he's getting his due recognition instead of being portrayed as the totally bad Bond.

Yes, it's the number of films that count. For example, had TD resumed to do GE, at that point he would have Bond for 8 years counting, but with only 3 films under his belt, which is kind of like DC’s going rate nowadays :))

I suppose we all fall into the tendency to compare one Bond over another to establish this Bond is best at this or that, which boils down to who is our favorite Bond...but we just want to make sure that everyone else recognizes that our favorite Bond is indeed "the best."
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

RM was such a great Bond, and being such doesn't necessarily take away from the other guys. For a long time, poor Sir Rog suffered as Sir Sean's second fiddle

That totally depends on the people‘s age imo.
    If they where born in the 60s, they haven‘t seen Connery first and for those many Connery was just the old-time bloke and Moore was Bond! Period!

And we are speaking pre-DVD age here.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    superado wrote:

RM was such a great Bond, and being such doesn't necessarily take away from the other guys. For a long time, poor Sir Rog suffered as Sir Sean's second fiddle

That totally depends on the people‘s age imo.
    If they where born in the 60s, they haven‘t seen Connery first and for those many Connery was just the old-time bloke and Moore was Bond! Period!

And we are speaking pre-DVD age here.

Very true, just as there is a generation for which DC is Bond, period :)) ...but not to disparage them too much, the same generation of The Fast and the Furious and Hunger Games!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    I'm no spring chicken but I love the Fast and Furious movies, they are some over the top fun. -{
    I'm not so much a fan of the hunger games.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm no spring chicken but I love the Fast and Furious movies, they are some over the top fun. -{
    I'm not so much a fan of the hunger games.

HUWAATT?!? How can you not be a fan of the life and times of Katniss Everdeen and her adventures with Peeta, Haymitch, the desperate residents of District 13, and the miraculous eradication of acne in the dystopian future!? :))
    :)) I like fast cars better :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,561Chief of Staff
    :)) I like fast cars better :D

And even faster women :o :))
    YNWA 97
    Bond 25 would most likely be released around November 2019 and Craig will definitely break Moore's 12-13 year record! We're getting only 3 Bond films every decade since the 1990's, so the every two year film release pattern is over.

Bond 26 would mostly likely be released around November 2022, just in time for the 60th anniversary of the franchise and possibly a new Bond actor will be cast.
    jorgem1 wrote:
    Bond 25 would most likely be released around November 2019 and Craig will definitely break Moore's 12-13 year record! We're getting only 3 Bond films every decade since the 1990's, so the every two year film release pattern is over.

Bond 26 would mostly likely be released around November 2022, just in time for the 60th anniversary of the franchise and possibly a new Bond actor will be cast.

I don't think that was a good record to make in the first place for Sir Roger and depending on who you ask, either MR, FYEO or OP should have been his last. I caught some of CR on tv just recently and marveled how young DC was, and in terms of ideal optimum age, I'd say DC was at that point in SP, comparable to Connery in YOLT, IMO. It doesn't help that the gaps are getting longer while on the other hand, viable new Bonds seem to be missing but ideally, we can really use a new Bond now.
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    -{
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,196MI6 Agent
    5 or 6 for DC (depending if the new one will be two made back-to-back) is a decent tenure and really the minimum desirable amount to allow an actor to bed into the role. It will need Disney in on the act if we are going to get back to films every two years. But at the end of the day it is the number of movies that count not the years in the role.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    jorgem1 wrote:

Why do you care so much about Craig being in the role the longest? What really matters is how many films they made. When Craig’s tenure is over, Moore will still be the Bond who did the most. It’s the movies that will be remembered, not the time between them. If anything, Craig’s long tenure will be remembered as a bad thing because of all the time we had to wait between his films. As much as it may pain you, Moore will still maintain the real record. I don’t picture your man doing 7 Bond films.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    The Craig era has been years of empty space with a few scattered films in between. The Moore era was a solid consistent run of 7 films that evolved with the times naturally and kept Bond relevant. The Craig era is 12 year stretch where not much happens and when it does, there seems to be an effort effort to prove Bond's relevance.

What's kind of sad about the Craig era, is that previously when a new Bond was cast, it was most certainly feasible he could match Roger's record. Tim's films were planned with 2 year intervals and Pierce's continued that consistency until DAD broke the mold with a 3 year break.
    Now that the Craig era has established it acceptable to have 3-4 years in between, each new film will probably entail some effort to re-introduce Bond to the current generation.
    I miss the times when Bond was a consistent mainstay.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent
    one film every four years is cheating
    (especially when some of them are just plagiarised Austin Powers plots)
    at Craig's current rate, when would he complete seven?
    2019, 2023, 2027!
    he'd be in the part twenty years if he ever made seven!
    I find him rather amusing and all, but they should have hired someone more interested in getting some actual films done
    new rule: no Executive Producers credit for actors who only manage one film every four years
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    jorgem1 wrote:

Why do you care so much about Craig being in the role the longest? What really matters is how many films they made. When Craig’s tenure is over, Moore will still be the Bond who did the most. It’s the movies that will be remembered, not the time between them. If anything, Craig’s long tenure will be remembered as a bad thing because of all the time we had to wait between his films. As much as it may pain you, Moore will still maintain the real record. I don’t picture your man doing 7 Bond films.
    Craig's a year shy of being 50, even though he's in great shape he himself knows this should be his last film saying he wants to "go out on a high note". Especially when a lot of the general public are itching for a new Bond. We're at the tail of Craig's tenure as Bond now unfortunately or fortunately if you don't like him.
    Part of it, due to high production costs and even the current social/political climate. That's why we're getting only 3 Bond films per decade. So, the every 2-year film release is over.
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Personally I would rather view an actors tenure as how many minutes they were on screen as James Bond.
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'