Daniel Craig's Bond's Fighting Styles

I found an older post about the fighting styles that Craig exhibits as Bond... but i don't think it was new enough to include either skyfall or spectre.
so what kind of info does everyone have about the types of martial arts Craig worked on to play the part... or... how the fight was choreographed to reflect james bond.
the right scene in spectre is fantastic. a lot of ducking of punches but also a lot of desperation when it becomes evident that he is losing.

i want to begin some martial arts training in the evenings... mostly for my fitness and something to do throughout the long winter. was leaning towards mixed martial arts... classes that include karate, krav maga... etc. just wanted to discuss this real fast.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    My recommendation, take a lot of different classes and settle in on the one that challenges you the most.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    In Spectre he uses mostly standard boxing techniques, he's used a bit of krava mag style in cr and qos, but basically he never displays any true martial arts disciplines.
    For fitness depending on your size mma is probably the best bet with good accessibility these days and will give you a range of skills including stances ( orthodox) and grappling and basic boxing skills. If you want to learn a practical fighting style that can do some damage if need be then find a proper krava mag class, they won't teach you everything but enough to deal with most situations. tae kwon do is really just a sport more than a fighting style but is ok for defence until someone grabs your leg, throws you off balance, breaks your knee then kneels on your throat :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    That being said, it’s for equal parts fitness and self defense. So practicality weighs pretty heavy.
    Mixed martial arts is good for learning how styles interact with each other. Chriscoop is correct about Tae Kwon Do- I was big into kicking so I really liked that style for a year, but when confronted with great close quarters hand technique I was stymied. So I ended up also taking Okinawan Kempo, Aikido, Praying Mantis, Jeet Kune Do (2 different schools), a mixed arts class, and Wing Chun (again 2 different schools). My last Wing Chun school was my favourite, but I leaned a lot from every class. So my style may appear like Wing Chun a bit, but ends up looking more like Drunken Boxing in motion... :))
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    I prefer the Bodyworks approach to self defence - distract them and hit em hard between the legs and don’t hang around to see if the get up and follow you. Prolific use of the neared inaniment object is also legitimate like QOS if you feel your life is in danger. So you can do as much Marshall arts as you like but try taking a direct hit on the swede from an high velocity inaninment object and stay standing :D

I am still standing so it work must work - though I am a pacifist these days preferring to chat my way out of trouble cannot be arrsed to run anymore :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Never work hard for what hard objects, walls, the ground and gravity easily provides for you. {[]
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Believe it or not but Krav Maga teaches use of objects to incapacitate your opponent. And Bond44 it also concentrates on the bodies more delicate areas, you must be an expert.
    In real situations avoiding a physical altercation is the best bet, but if it's unavoidable then it makes sense to get it over with as quickly as possible, I've always favoured extreme aggression, speed and ferocity, and lots of it :)) so if your going to kick someone in the nuts then kick then try and put their nuts through their head, or if your putting an elbow into someones throat try and use enough force to make them swallow their Adams apple, if possible use your elbow before your fist, a broken hand is a bugger.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Believe it or not but Krav Maga teaches use of objects to incapacitate your opponent. And Bond44 it also concentrates on the bodies more delicate areas, you must be an expert.
    In real situations avoiding a physical altercation is the best bet, but if it's unavoidable then it makes sense to get it over with as quickly as possible, I've always favoured extreme aggression, speed and ferocity, and lots of it :)) so if your going to kick someone in the nuts then kick then try and put their nuts through their head, or if your putting an elbow into someones throat try and use enough force to make them swallow their Adams apple, if possible use your elbow before your fist, a broken hand is a bugger.
    You know the military we are good at passive aggressive and aggressive aggressive :o

Personally I would spank them with my Zimmer frame and hobble off on my walking stick.

I switched to brains over brawn some years ago when I drew my mess webley.

Rough and tumble is a young mans game I don’t tend to get many ruffians in the clubs and restaurants I frequent these days :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!