Re: The BBC Radio 4 James Bond series

I’m currently listening to these radio adaptations.

I would prefer it if the novels were simply read out rather than just have the dialogue extracted and made into a radio play. The dialogue on its own, without Fleming’s marvellous descriptive skills, leaves the stories bereft of substance. And the dialogue alone can never compare to watching a Bond film in all its visual glory. It is like doing a radio adaptation of just the dialogue of 2001: A Space Odyssey—what would be the point of that?

I like John Standing's portrayal of M. He humanises M, and makes him less of a grump than Bernard Lee’s M. Toby Stephens similarly humanises Bond, but too much in my view. His Bond comes across as a little too “everyman” and cheery. Dalton’s Bond was also human, but his had a nervous edge, which a man who is in constant danger would have.

Barbel wrote:

The most OTT performance in the Radio 4 Bond series IMHO is David Suchet as Dr No!

I agree! His accent was totally absurd! I believe he is the actor who played paro (I don't know the spelling) the detective. I have never seen this but if he was as bad as in Dr No I am glad I never watched it!

Monsieur Sixte wrote:

I’m currently listening to these radio adaptations.

I would prefer it if the novels were simply read out rather than just have the dialogue extracted and made into a radio play. The dialogue on its own, without Fleming’s marvellous descriptive skills, leaves the stories bereft of substance. And the dialogue alone can never compare to watching a Bond film in all its visual glory. It is like doing a radio adaptation of just the dialogue of 2001: A Space Odyssey—what would be the point of that?

I like John Standing's portrayal of M. He humanises M, and makes him less of a grump than Bernard Lee’s M. Toby Stephens similarly humanises Bond, but too much in my view. His Bond comes across as a little too “everyman” and cheery. Dalton’s Bond was also human, but his had a nervous edge, which a man who is in constant danger would have.

I understand this. The fact that lots were missing was the fact I did not really like From Russia With Love. For me the best of the plays is Moonraker. If you have not already, you should perhaps try listening to that.

I enjoyed Thunderball on BBC radio, Tom Conti playing a very friendly Largo.

Joshua wrote:
Barbel wrote:

The most OTT performance in the Radio 4 Bond series IMHO is David Suchet as Dr No!

I agree! His accent was totally absurd! I believe he is the actor who played paro (I don't know the spelling) the detective. I have never seen this but if he was as bad as in Dr No I am glad I never watched it!

He is perfect as Poirot, I think the best ever. Give it a go!

they're going to be doing the Man with the Golden Gun
14 March 2020

Good news, thanks cp. Looking forward to that.

This is good news! I have listened to all the radio plays several times on night duties. Although I will not be able to listen to it on Saturday, I will download this when it comes on you tube and add it to my collection.

Agreed, looking forward to it.  ajb007/martini

So, TMWTGG : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gdtd

Do domebody know how to download it?

Eon don't allow the series to be downloaded (see upthread). It should turn up on YouTube soon, though.

Well I know, but want to save it. Cause I want to listen it later (way later than a month). So I hope to see it in YT.

Listening to it right now. Very faithful to Fleming, which will bamboozle anyone who only knows the film. It's approaching the end now, Scaramanga is just eating a snake.

I recorded it yesterday and listened when I got home from work. TMWTGG is my least favourite book and this has carried over to the play. That said I have all the other plays  and will add this as soon as it comes on you tube.

I am not sure why most of the actors who play the villains in these BBC radio plays have to use very unrealistic accents? Scaramanga was no different in this respect.

To be fair, Rami Malek seems to be doing an outrageous ‘evil foreigner’ accent in NTTD too! ajb007/biggrin

emtiem wrote:

To be fair, Rami Malek seems to be doing an outrageous ‘evil foreigner’ accent in NTTD too! ajb007/biggrin

I have deliberately not seen any footage of the new film, but take your word.

In my opinion Scaramanga's accent is a rival to David Suchet's Dr No!

Ha! Suchet's Dr No was indeed amusingly ripe! But that kind of fits the material I think.

Suchet's Dr No was very odd, I think they also did some odd voices for DAF, Maybe
EON would only let them do the plays if the villains all put on odd accents ?  ajb007/biggrin

I wonder who in this forum has the best villan accent? I may have a decent one  ajb007/biggrin

I'm rather proud  of the fact that a few
People have told me I should be doing
Movie trailer  voice overs.  ajb007/wink

It may be me! I am regarded as a villain already by some here on AJB!!! ajb007/lol

Of course this has nothing to do with me using juju against those who disagree with me!

Thunderpussy can be my henchman! I will have a steel rimmed bowler hat made for him!

Now, does anyone know how I can get to Fort Knox?

ajb007/lol  Seems the real money these days is in Toilet Roll !!!  I'd be trying to
gain the world's supply, Then I'd be ... The Man with the Golden Bum !!  ajb007/takecover

Yes. Here is my plan. I will hire some pilots to fly over the Andrex factory and spray knock out gas. You will then take in a small atomic bomb. That will detonate and radiate Europe's supply of toilet rolls. Using juju I have already hypnotised some women. They will go out and spread germ warfare capsules across all the other toilet rolls factories. Once the mission is complete I (I mean we) will have control over all remaining stocks. We can then set our price and will achieve world domination. We just have to make sure that people don't start using newspaper to wipe their behind!

Hmm, I can sense another adventure for Shakespeare's Sir James coming on....

Joshua wrote:

I recorded it yesterday and listened when I got home from work. TMWTGG is my least favourite book and this has carried over to the play. That said I have all the other plays  and will add this as soon as it comes on you tube.

I am not sure why most of the actors who play the villains in these BBC radio plays have to use very unrealistic accents? Scaramanga was no different in this respect.

ah nice, very thanks to you.