Have you ever successfully converted someone into becoming a Bond fan?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
edited November 2018 in General James Bond Chat
The thread title says it all as means of introduction to this thread. This subject is something I've been thinking about recently. It takes me back to the only time I think I ever converted other people into becoming a James Bond fan.

Personally speaking, I'd say that my fandom was used to convert around three to four of my classmates at secondary school into being James Bond fans of some sort or other. At least some of them have, to the best of my knowledge, remained as Bond fans. Since then, I've not really consciously tried to recruit anyone new to the fandom, perhaps because school years are formative years of experience and so fellow pupils are more impressionable than many adults are in later life. I also wouldn't say that it was that case that I consciously went out of my way of recruit new Bond fans at school but more that my obvious interest in Bond may have smitten a few of my school friends.

So have you ever successfully converted someone into becoming a Bond fan? Do you believe that it is part of our remit as Bond fans to try to recruit others as fans or is James Bond purely a private interest in your life? I'd love to hear your stories below. :)
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    I converted one colleague but due to limited funds he is definitely Bond on a Budget.

But since I came out I have been surprised how many in my social circle are closet Bond fans :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Convert for me sounds a bit strong, but rather I influenced a lot of my close friends in my college years to become Bond fans. However, "conversion" became most appropriate when I influenced a buddy not only to become a fan of the movies, but to become a fan of the Fleming books...and the actual act of reading!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Convert for me sounds a bit strong, but rather I influenced a lot of my close friends in my college years to become Bond fans. However, "conversion" became most appropriate when I influenced a buddy not only to become a fan of the movies, but to become a fan of the Fleming books...and the actual act of reading!

Yes, well I think we can include that type of positive influence on others in this thread. Conversion to a fully-fledged Bond fan like ourselves is maybe asking a bit too much. I don't want to set the parameters too high on this thread, so that I still get some good responses and fellow fan stories being told in it. However, conversion to Fleming Bond is a very great work indeed - congratulations on that. I also got a few of my friends to read the Fleming originals and that is very important indeed as that was of course where world Bondom all began! -{

Perhaps "converted" was the wrong word for this thread title, but I'll leave it as it is with the rider that it can still be less than full conversion to qualify in this thread of mine! :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).