Sunspel Riviera - advice please

Hi all, I'm just seeking some advice.

A while ago I bought a navy Riviera and have worn it a handful of times but it's faded very quickly. Additionally it seems pretty wide from the chest down and not the slim fit I prefer.

Has anyone had any success with - or thoughts on - dying and/or tailoring a Riviera?
"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Comments

• Craigisbond25Craigisbond25 Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/35019/sunspel-riviera-polo-fit/
    Try this thread, they mention washing it in white vinegar.

Mine is on the way, and I'm going to try that.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Thanks Craigisbond 25, I will try that although now that it’s faded already, it may be a bit too late :# but at least may prevent further fading.,,
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    Always wash them inside out at 30 and don’t tumble dry them. I’ve not used vinegar and they are fine (navy and black)
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Mine faded pretty quickly too. Always washed them with other dark clothing, with special detergent for dark colours, never tumble dry etc. I just think these fade more quickly than some others. Recently I used some wash-in die made by Dylon on my Orlebar Brown polos, worked like a charm.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Thanks DB6 and Peppermill - much appreciated. Guess I will go the dye route and make sure I wash it inside out and in vinegar from now on :)
  • ewdennisewdennis Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Hi all, I'm just seeking some advice.

A while ago I bought a navy Riviera and have worn it a handful of times but it's faded very quickly. Additionally it seems pretty wide from the chest down and not the slim fit I prefer.

Has anyone had any success with - or thoughts on - dying and/or tailoring a Riviera?

That's the thing that kind of turns me off Sunspel - the fit, for me, is just not there. I have a jumper from them that seems to have really strange proportions, wide around the stomach and hips, short in the arms, and really short in the body; there's no question that the quality and materials are spot on, but the fit kind of puts me off buying the Riviera over anything that OB do.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    ewdennis wrote:
    That's the thing that kind of turns me off Sunspel - the fit, for me, is just not there. I have a jumper from them that seems to have really strange proportions, wide around the stomach and hips, short in the arms, and really short in the body; there's no question that the quality and materials are spot on, but the fit kind of puts me off buying the Riviera over anything that OB do.

While I do always hear praise for them on here and that they're a staple in heaps of members wardrobes, I'm just not a fan on how the Rivera polos fit on me and due to that I very rarely wear the ones I have (and when I do it's under a jacker or sweater/cardigan)...I'd like to think I have a fairly normal figure as well (42 chest, 34 waist, athletic build). I also had similar fit issues with the Riviera grey tee—I much prefer the fit of the OB-T!
  • JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    I own two in navy and black. It's my third navy and second black.

They look and feel amazing when you receive them... but for me, that was about it. I always wash them in cold water, inside out using a handwash program. They still fade within very few washes.

With the amount of money I've put in them (around €140 each including tailoring) I am not really impressed.

I have had some success with using a black colour restoration washing bag (a little bag with powder in that you wash alongside the polo) from time to time, which helps keeping it black instead of grey. I also wanted to try navy dye for the other one but didn't get to the store yet. I will try sharing the results when I get to it. I will also try experimenting with some fabric softener since they, for me, instantly lost the soft touch they had at first. Better taking some risks than ending up not wearing them at all.

Reg. tailoring them, it should be very simple. I had my medium polos tailored for a slimmer waist, slimmer sleeves and shorter length without any issues.

On the contrary I am very happy with the Riviera t-shirts; I have two which still look great after around 7 years and many, many 30 degree washes. Size medium fits me perfectly and will be buying more of those.

Their regular cotton t-shirts are fine, but I would buy something else for the price unless going for a special colour.

Also own two loopback hoodies (very big in size medium) which are nice, but not worth the steep price for me. Had a pair of pyjama pants from them as well, but they almost disintegrated after wearing them a few times, prompting a full refund from Sunspel.