Craig as Steve McQueen?

nobodynobody Posts: 110MI6 Agent
I wonder if Quentin Tarantino ever considered casting DC as Steve McQueen in his latest “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I know I’m not the only one to see the resemblance. As much as I love Damien Lewis (who DOES play McQueen) I don’t think he looks much like McQueen.

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Either Tarantino doesn't like Craig or Craig turned it down. I can see Craig not wanting to encourage the comparisons. He really picks and chooses his roles.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Personally, I thought Lewis really nailed McQueen. All it took was a blond wig.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I think Damian Lewis looked like Steve McQueen, re: facial features, body type, etc., much closer than DC. If not a carbon copy Lewis’ face is practically a caricature of McQueen’s, although DC and SM are closer in height, which can be negligible on screen.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Son of OsrisSon of Osris Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Craig would make an excellent McQueen. It is interesting to speculate if McQueen would have made a good Bond had he been offered the part. Craig fans would probably say yes.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Yes, Craig resembles McQueen and could play him in a pic (though he's a shade old for a biopic now). No, McQueen wouldn't have made a good Bond- I don't think his screen persona is a good match. If ever a faithful Matt Helm film had been made (the Dean Martin movies, much as I love them, are not faithful to the books or the character) then he'd have been a fair choice- though the young Clint Eastwood would be my pick.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I didn't actually recognise Damian Lewis as McQueen. I thought they'd picked some unknown who wasn't doing such a good job. I mean, he did seem quite loquacious unlike the taciturn star and just there to shoehorn in some exposition.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Now, after watching the movie I think Steve McQueen’s cameo could have been done better. If Bruce Lee’s was exaggerated to the chagrin of some fans (I, however, think it worked), then McQueen could have been hammed up as well, in his subtle ambivalent tough guy manner. I think Damian Lewis was more than capable to pull it off.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    They've been playing up Craig's resemblance to McQueen from the start.