70s Pan paperback 'still life' Bond covers

I'm trying to collect a good set of the early/mid 70s Pan paperback Bond novels with the 'still life' covers. These were the ones with covers depicting photographed paraphernalia related to the plot arranged in artistic compositions, often including an image of a woman model's face in a locket or something similar, with anachronistic 70s fashions. Actually, some of the montages were more messy than artistic.

I'm nostalgic for this series of covers as it was in these editions that I first read some of the Bond titles as a kid.

I have three questions. Was 'Live And Let Die' ever published with such a cover or was this never the case because it was displaced by the then-current movie tie-in cover? (I know that 'The Man With The Golden Gun' had a 'still life' cover before its own movie tie-in edition.) Was Fleming's 'The Spy Who Loved Me' ever published with a 'still life' cover in a paperback form, and the same question for 'Colonel Sun'?
Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I've never collected the 'still life' covers and if I had started collecting them I'm sure I would have been a bit annoyed when I realised that LALD didn't have a still life cover. In my opinipn the best collection of Bond paperbacks has to be the Raymond Hawkey series, because it is the earliest set of Bond paperbacks in which you can have a complete collection of Fleming works...and some of the covers are truly iconic designs in their own right.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the help. Yes, it is annoying that 'Live And Let Die' is the odd one out. I have a vague recollection that 'Colonel Sun' was issued with a 'still life' cover too but perhaps the memory deceives.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

With apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but am I imagining it or did someone produce an alternative Pan "still life" cover for LALD? I've started re-reading Fleming in publication order, and the omission of a suitable cover for LALD is just annoying.

If anyone can shed any light on whether there was such a cover (maybe fan-made) or whether I'm having a senior moment, I'd be grateful.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

A quick Google search has just made me feel better about my memory!

Apart from the misspelling of 'whom', it's a lovingly-produced homage by someone who obviously had a great eye for detail and design.

• 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent

Hi have you tried World of Books or the aggregator book finder.com

Anthony

Thanks 007Downunder, I appreciate you posting the links, but LALD was never published with that cover. Instead it had the movie poster cover as a tie in, making it the odd one out. So the cover I was seeking (shown above) was a fan-made one in the style of the others (below).

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

A superb piece of design by whoever (whomever?) created that homage to fill the gap.

• AndBAndB Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

I don't think I've ever seen Colonel Sun in this edition but John Pearson's 'James Bond - The Authorized Biography' did get a still life cover.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

This came up in this thread- Book Covers - Page 5 — ajb007

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

oh no how did I miss this? 

a thread about the books buried in the collectibles section!

that earlier fake Live and Let Die is better than the one I knew about because it has a full wrap-around cover, including the three quotes on the back

I would like to print that out and scale and paste it on top of a film tie-in cover, which is relatively common