Omega Service/Refurbishment

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before. I did search but only found one topic that was similar to what I want to ask.

After 6 years of owning my 2003 Seamaster 2531.80 I have finally had to decide to send my watch to Omega to be serviced. Performance is far from where it should be but having never been serviced it's long overdue.

Just before Christmas I took the watch into Regent Street Omega to find out more about pricing and timescale.

They told me that the whole process will take (normally) 8 weeks and that the full service is around £400.

I also mentioned that I was thinking about replacing the bezel because its got scratched, faded. They told me this would be an extra 250 to 300 pounds.

I asked them about the process, what they would do etc. But I wanted to check with members on here who have also sent their watches for refurbishment by Omega what the watch should come back like?

It is in need of a good polishing/rebrushing and refinishing. For around 600 to 700 pounds should I get the watch back aesthetically and mechanically as close to brand new as you could expect.

Can anyone offer their experiences with the regular Omega service?

Thanks

Comments

• jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    Hi
    I use Swiss time services who are authorised by omega to service there watches, they are cheaper and can’t fault the work they do. I have had 4 watches done by them and was just about to send them another, same timing around 6-8 weeks and you can have the watch polished to make the case look like new again.
    I have made some extra requests in the past and they have had no problem sorting them out.
    Ross
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    I had mine serviced by Omega a couple of years back. The watch came back looking like new. Amazing.
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    In theory, when you read Omega website, for the amount of about 600 euros (depending your watch being a chronograph or not) they will change ALL used parts or non working parts and will effectively repolish the entire watch !!!
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Funny timing (see what I did there?) as i just mailed my Omega Seamaster in for service yesterday. I will let you know how it goes for me. Although I don't expect to hear anything for a few weeks.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Hi
    I use Swiss time services who are authorised by omega to service there watches, they are cheaper and can’t fault the work they do. I have had 4 watches done by them and was just about to send them another, same timing around 6-8 weeks and you can have the watch polished to make the case look like new again.
    I have made some extra requests in the past and they have had no problem sorting them out.
    Ross
    +1 here for Swiss Time Services use them regularly great service. Also did some custom work for me on my SF PO, I knew Omega would not agree to do. Fully recommend

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • CRC007CRC007 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys,

I'll be sending it off soon and look forward to when it's back to its former glory again
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any updates? My Seamaster needs servicing, and I've only ever used an Omega boutique to send it off (I've had it for 16 years) but was just wondering how Swiss Time Services services would compare.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2020
    Don‘t let anyone polish the case, bezel and bracelet of your Omegas.
    Have them serviced and gaskets replaced and those horrid friction pins being checked out.
    That‘s all you need.

Don‘t agree having bezel insert/dial/hands replaced - it just looks horrible!
    And that advise applies to other brands as well - in particular Rolex!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the advice - will do -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    I asked my AD in passing the other day whilst I was trying on a couple of watches. He said it would be £460 to service my PO 2201.50.00
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent
    I was just quoted me £350 to service my watch by the company mentioned above. I think I would have to pay postage both ways as well so not sure the saving is great compared to just dropping it off to an Omega Boutique.
    Yes. Considerably!
  • chriscollins007chriscollins007 North Somerset , England Posts: 1,154MI6 Agent
    After Omega lost my Spectre LE 300 seamaster , I will try and avoid servicing if possible.
    I've had my Omega seamaster 007 40th anniversary one for 18 years now and its never had a service.
    007 reporting for duty
    A few weeks ago, I finally got my 2531.80 back from its first ever service with Omega, and couldn't be happier with it!

So glad I requested a new bezel too for the extra price.

Thoroughly recommend it if you're undecided!

I understand the argument against replacing things such as the bezel but I never want to sell this watch on so all of the aesthetic things done bother me.

The hands and dial weren't replaced.
    Omega sends back the old parts they do replace and I am very surprised with how little needed to be replaced considering the age of the watch.

Now running really well too at about +1 second every day

DSC-0533.jpg

DSC-0528.jpg
    DSC-0524.jpg
    Nice. Must feel like a brand new watch. Money well spent for every time you look at your wrist. Enjoy your continued ownership.
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    And that advise applies to other brands as well - in particular Omega

I disagree. I did a total refresh on my 2531.80 and I'm thrilled with the result - thread here: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/50629/total-overhaul-of-my-253180-w-pictures

But I agree on not allowing anyone polish the case and bracelet. I've yet to see that turn out ok.
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    I just took my 2531.80.00 into the Omega Store on 5th Ave here in New York a few days ago. I'm getting a standard servicing and hopefully a bezel replacement done although the tech guy said that the part isn't easy to come by anymore. We'll see what happens. Should take about 8-12 weeks. I'll make sure to report when it comes back.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    frommeyer wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

I disagree. I did a total refresh on my 2531.80 and I'm thrilled with the result - thread here: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/50629/total-overhaul-of-my-253180-w-pictures

But I agree on not allowing anyone polish the case and bracelet. I've yet to see that turn out ok.

Did you have the dial hands and bezel insert all replaced at the same time?
    I know where you keep your gun!
    Yes, everything was done at the same time. Since writing that post I've also had the crystal replaced. There wasn't anything wrong with it but I'd gone this far so why not. All told, the bill was about $3500. That includes buying the watch on Ebay for $1500.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    frommeyer wrote:
    Yes, everything was done at the same time. Since writing that post I've also had the crystal replaced. There wasn't anything wrong with it but I'd gone this far so why not. All told, the bill was about $3500. That includes buying the watch on Ebay for $1500.

I know Omega gives you all the original parts back so it makes it a little more bearable because you can always revert it back.
    I know where you keep your gun!
    frommeyer wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

I disagree. I did a total refresh on my 2531.80 and I'm thrilled with the result -

Good for you!
    Part of the appeal of owning an expensive watch is, that it accompanies you for a good part of your life. New parts on a 20 year old watch will not look 100% like they have looked back when the watch was new.

And replacing the most important parts of your watch with spanking new ones (as an example Tritium cannot be used anymore on dials and hands) is just like doing a dramatic facelift on a 40 year old person who still looks ok now.

I am still angry that my watchmaker replaced the crown on my 40 year old GMT - the alloy just looks different to the case ‚colour‘ and sticks out like a sore thumb - while tecnically it made sense to preserve the waterresistance.

You are 30 and I understand your goal to erase out the previous owner and make sure that you are not running out of spare parts - but I am sure, that when you are 50, you‘ll regret having done it.

That aside, the red tip of the secondhand ages to a beautiful color and so does the bezel. They are both statements that a watch had a life, was loved and was used.

And for serious collectors ( well we can debate if a SMP is really a collector‘s piece) you have just ruined any collector‘s value of your watch.

edited September 2020
    I can only speak for myself and for me none of the above bothers me and I am sure that goes for a few others who posted above.

Im 25, grew up with the Brosnan films and so for me his four films (and the other 21) are responsible for the whole reason I am a Bond fan, a car fan, and watch fan today.

I've wanted a 2531 since seeing those films and bought mine about six years ago after starting out in my design career. A year into my apprenticeship back then I was able to finally buy one and it's been with me on every adventure since. So the watch means too much to me to ever sell it. So the value or collector's appeal means much less.

I completely understand both sides to this argument. The bag of replaced parts that came back from Omega had next to nothing in it. The hands, and the dial were untouched. If I was going to spend 450 on a refurbishment and service it only seemed sensible to buy a replacement bezel at the same time, especially because the parts will be more and more difficult to come across in a few years and the watch otherwise was in great condition.

For me I wanted to treat my watch to looking more like it would have if I'd have been old enough and wealthy enough to buy it the first time around in 2003.

Each to their own. Life's too short to worry about what others might have done or if a collector might have wanted your watch .

I just wanted to post the service experience on here if people were undecided about whether to go for it. For me it was well worth it.
    well, if you‘re happy then all ok.

I am since 35 years into watches and my perspective has changed over the years - several times.
    I understand your motivation and your reasons - without wanting to sound snobbish, most of inexperienced owners of 2 or 2 high end watches ( I have over 45....) sound like that.

Don‘t be surprised if in 15 years you tell yourself „dang, that Higgins guy had a point“

I was giving my opinion and advise based on decades of experiences, mistakes and discussions with people who know far more than myself. YMMV

Ah. Now I understand your comments. You're viewing it as a watch collector/enthusiast. That's not my orientation - my interest in watches doesn't extend beyond Bond (and my Apple Watch for workout tracking). Much in the same way I don't care about cars but am hyped to be buying a Z3 in a few days.

But I think it's an interesting (and, frankly, financially wise) perspective you shared. And anyone who believes they might become a proper watch collector should read your comments closely.
    Higgins wrote:
    well, if you‘re happy then all ok.

I am since 35 years into watches and my perspective has changed over the years - several times.
    I understand your motivation and your reasons - without wanting to sound snobbish, most of inexperienced owners of 2 or 2 high end watches ( I have over 45....) sound like that.

Don‘t be surprised if in 15 years you tell yourself „dang, that Higgins guy had a point“

I was giving my opinion and advise based on decades of experiences, mistakes and discussions with people who know far more than myself. YMMV

I completely understand where you're coming from. over 45! That is an impressive collection! I can only dream of having that many but maybe one or two more omegas one day :)

You may well be right and later on down the line if so luckily I will still have the old bezel.

From a collector's viewpoint I understand it. As I said before it's a watch I want to hold on to forever so I was less worried.

Personally I'm not sure what your thoughts are but I do wonder how collectable these will be in years to come. They've had a bit of a resurgence lately because of the latest redesigned SMP pro but they're still fairly cheap considering the pricetag s of the latest ones....and of course the very expensive NTTD version.

The elegance of the Brosnan ones were best in my opinion
  • km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Those that have recently had service, is the turnaround time decent now? I know it was really long for a while. I have a SMP in need of service. My local boutique doesn’t even have the James Bond issue of the magazine, so maybe there are still shipping issues. :))
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    km1fdm wrote:
    Those that have recently had service, is the turnaround time decent now? I know it was really long for a while. I have a SMP in need of service. My local boutique doesn’t even have the James Bond issue of the magazine, so maybe there are still shipping issues. :))

I took mine in for a servicing (NYC store) last week and also inquired about the magazine. Got a phone call from them yesterday and they were happy to mail me a copy. As for turn around, they told me 8-12 weeks for a typical servicing.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I brought my SMP 300m co-axial to an Omega certified service center in Leiden (the Netherlands) about 5 months ago to get it serviced. After 3 months I decided to give them a call about an update. They said I could pick it up in a week. I did, but immediately noticed the watch was running about 11 seconds fast per day. I gave it some time to settle in, but that didn't change anything. After a while the watch would just stop all of a sudden. Both when wearing it and when on my watch winder. So it is back at the service center again (who weren't very polite or understanding when I came in and explained what was wrong). It's been 3 weeks without an update, I might give them a call again next week.

Not a good experience with this watchmaker, so my other Omega will be serviced somewhere else. If anyone knows a good Omega service center in the Netherlands, please let me know.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • 00dan00dan USAPosts: 11MI6 Agent
    Seems to be a concerning trend. I have a PO that I sent in for service late last year. 1st time back for a 2006ish. It wasn't keeping time as well as it had been but still not too bad - set maybe once every week or so. Got it back a few months later and had issues that got worse quickly with the movement ultimately stopping completely and unable to start again. Omega support was very apologetic and I sent it back again after some delay on my part for a free second service. Received it back about a week ago (they did expedite round 2 - took about 4 weeks) and everything seems to be resolved.

Glad to have it back and working. The folks I interacted with did provide excellent customer service, just disappointed I got a watch back with issues.

On a different note. If you email Omega directly, they will ship you a mailer and free shipping label to send your watch in for service. If you do that, they provide a login to their site where they have the details of findings, photos of your watch and status updates including receipt, evaluation, waiting for parts, in progress, etc. I really like that experience over the mystery experience bringing it to an AD where you drop it off and one day they call you to tell you it's ready ( also wonder with the dealers if they are actually sending it to Omega, to a 3rd party, or just handling with internal staff). Sending it direct they also provided a summary of recommended items (full service in my case) and provided price information for optional cosmetic part replacements (new crystal vs polishing, etc.) that you can select. They take payment at that time before they begin service. If you decline all service I believe they just ship the watch back. They do ship all the original parts back in a little bag as well after service. Even though I never plan to sell the watch and the replacements looked identical in my case, Higgins comments did get me thinking about that a little differently - especially since I've since misplaced that bag :)
    Thanks 00dan. I has no idea OMEGA offered that service. I have the same fears regarding AD, but probably unfounded. The service you describe from OMEGA direct sounds very good. Much more akin to a quality car dealership when you take your car in for a service. And why shouldn't it be the cost of service on my watch is about the same price or more as a cost of service in my car.