OHMSS College of Arms Scene Re-enactment Pre Prod

Hello All,
As I seem to have some extra time these days, being rather sequestered, I wanted to do a bit of planning for the College of Arms scene re-enactment, possibly in 2022.
Firstly, the 3 other vehicles need to be identified, and that starts with a clear screen shot of the scene...

college-of-arms-oscr.jpg
This blurry one ripped off of Google search is the only one I have, can someone do up a nice, clear image from a Blue Ray?

Does anyone know what those vehicles are, off hand?
I looked in all of my reference books, including "Making of" and cannot find anything.

Here is a shot from an Aston book:

COA2a.jpg

Looks as if the wing Vitaloni mirrors are missing in this shot, could be the reflections and the poor resolution.

Well, thank you for your help, and it will be fun to try to assemble these 4 cars for the shot someday.
Cheers, Tom

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Very difficult to tell from those images Tom, but I would take a stab that the two cars to the right in the first picture and one behind the DBS in the black and white picture are both Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II.

Here are a couple of stock pics I found on Pinterest;

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/413205334532114120/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/601793568937567296/

The two tone car may be the brown hues as per the picture attached, or black and silver, or navy and silver.

No idea on the other silver car in the colour pic.

P.S. I want to be there in 2022!! :007)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Yeah, two Silver Clouds (I think the white one is a Silver Cloud III; can't tell which the two tone one is) and Bond parks next to a Rover P5, I'd say.

149.jpg

uqI4zZUpF-CuZNZRD0jT1w6NZtDVFHsSzjyWX6IFkYd72XK18GCXgUXGk62UZxpVdEIOJiC7w1VtOliqJS6TQnixVP81zgOFB33XEiW0ncTku_uBFzXIYxXKzMCmIjqFopD6
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    Here are some refined screen shots sent to me by an AMOC member- he owns a QOS spec DBS, in absolute mint condition.
    Let's see if we can ID the cars.
    Of note is the lack of wing mirrors on GKX 8G. That car was fitted at the factory with wing mirrors, chassis # 5234. I have never seen a photo of the car without them. Leads me to believe that this DBS was chassis # 5109, or FBH 207G with GKX 8G number plates, which they did for a number of shots.
    Oddly, the Corgi diecast of the DBS came without mirrors. Is this the car they used as their model?

college1.jpg
    A Rover next to the DBS?

college2.jpg

More DBS shots: No "GB" Lettering on the LH rear valance, nor Vitaloni Sebring mirrors on the front wings, which leads me to believe this is the second car, FBH 207G...

college3.jpg

college4.jpg

college6.jpg
    More notes for the obsessive: Both cars had special engines from the factory. Vantage spec cars generally had those badges on the side vent SS "Side Strakes." The "Vantage" script badges, which I was never that fond of covering the gorgeous trims, weren't fitted to either DBS, until after filming. Only GKX 8G (#5234) was later fitted with them, after filming, and those can be seen in a road test photo with John Bolster.
    AML records show that GKX 8G had new wing mirrors fitted on 22 April, 1969, and after such repairs as "Body damage," a full repray twice, new cylinder head, clutch (1192 miles!), new bearings, lines, etc., the engines were swapped between the two cars on 2 June, 1969. That is when filming with the cars was completed (the last use of the DBS was in Portugal, which wrapped in late May, I believe.) The car was then fitted with UK spec headlamps, (from the previous French lighting with Cibie amber bulb shrouds), at 5017 miles on 10th September, 1969.
    Just prior to the John Bolster road test, the following operations were performed:
    (From the AM log book)
    "Vibration at 110 MPH. New propshaft fitted. Vibration from clutch, new centre plate fitted. Rear Selectrides weak. Both Selectarides renewed. Car low gear suspension packed up. N/S/F shock absorber squeaks. New Sh/Ab fitted. Eng. mounting brackets weak. New brackets fitted. N/S/F seat broken (Did Diana Rigg do that?) Seat repaired. Vibration from O/S Air vent rectified (There is a whole series of fixes regarding this problem), Rattle in hood lining over drivers head. Found and rectified. Inspected reverse light, rectified and fitted new bulb (The reverse lamps tended to short out the festoon bulbs.) New speedometer fitted. (So the car appeared to be newer for the road test?) Engine cleaned and undersealed."

Thank you for your kind help,
    Tom
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    I would agree that the car parked next to the DBS is a Rover P5

D74-F2-CA4-2-A40-4-EE6-8-E12-FF7841800-D8-C.jpg

F9-D90412-C1-B3-4993-88-AB-71305750-CFC0.jpg
    Oddly, the Corgi diecast of the DBS came without mirrors. Is this the car they used as their model?

Not sure what era diecast you're referring to Tom? Corgi did do a release of the OHMSS DBS along with other Bond cars in the early 2000's and none had wing mirrors. Due to cost cutting in manufacturing I think. I have a few of these models and has always bugged me.
    UNCLE27 wrote:

Well spotted! Now to narrow down the year and model variant...

Not sure what era diecast you're referring to Tom? Corgi did do a release of the OHMSS DBS along with other Bond cars in the early 2000's and none had wing mirrors. Due to cost cutting in manufacturing I think. I have a few of these models and has always bugged me.

Referred to the Corgi OHMSS version. Couldn't believe they left off the wing mirrors, and that was all that was available for a while till MiniChamps released their very good offering, and also the less expensive Eaglemoss.

Would be great if somebody did a 1/18 scale version. they have The Persuaders! version, why not an OHMSS?
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if my posts are invisible here....

Referred to the Corgi OHMSS version. Couldn't believe they left off the wing mirrors, and that was all that was available for a while till MiniChamps released their very good offering, and also the less expensive Eaglemoss.

Would be great if somebody did a 1/18 scale version. they have The Persuaders! version, why not an OHMSS?

Indeed! I really would like the 1/18 OHMSS DBS and TLD V8 Vantage to complete my collection.
    UNCLE27 wrote:

Well, I would say it was a P5B, a 3.5L V8 Buick engined car which was produced from 1967 onwards.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_P5

Firstly, because it was in the 1969 film and secondly, because it is wearing a yellow rear number plate which was not mandatory at the time but became an option on cars registered from 1968 onwards. So that car is either a 1968 or 1969 model.
    edited April 2020
    Here’s a link to a 1968 P5B in the correct colour scheme that sold recently.
    The colour is described as Silver Birch (!) over Burnt Grey.
    Some good photos for reference.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1166280

There is also a Rover P5 Owners Club in the UK with a Forum. They would be able to provide more information and may even be able to trace that car above or another in the correct colour/trim.

http://www.roverp5club.org.uk/
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:

I'm very impressed!
    Commandant wrote:
    UNCLE27 wrote:

I'm very impressed!

emtiem identified it, not me. I just confirmed it and did a little research.
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    @emtiem Good spot on the Rover, and also the Silver Cloud III. Imcdb also lists the white one as such because of the twin headlights.
    college2.jpg

The two tone looks like a Bentley Mark VI Mulliner Lightweight, check the fender shape:

6497_0.jpg
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2020
    Good spot Quentin!
    The Bentley MkV1 Mulliner Lightweight certainly ticks a lot of the boxes.
    And it seams it came in the same (or similar) colour combination.

C6683-B4-D-8-D97-4082-8579-519-BAD23-C765.jpg

Here’s a link to one for sale with additional photographs.

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/bentley/mk-vi/1951-bentley-mk-vi-h-j-mulliner-lightweight-saloon/9308327
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    @UNCLE27 I overlooked that pic that had a similar paint job, cheers for that -{

It might also be a Rolls Royce Silver Dawn, one of which has the same Mulliner Lightweight body shape:

ebay66477.jpg
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great work, everyone!
    Here are some HRes photos that just came in...

hires1.jpg

hires2.jpg

We will be casting a doorman, who should have a similar uniform, for the event.
    Things may be delayed, but we are hoping for a 2022 film date!
    Please keep the info coming in.
    Cheers, Tom
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    Just a thought but the car next to the white rolls....

CUB1? 354HYK? :o
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org