Opinion please - damaged during shipping

texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
Quick question - what is your opinion on this please?

You buy items listed here or on Facebook for example.

You instruct seller to pack with care.

You were not offered insurance and was never discussed.

Shipment arrived and was not very well pack - 2 items of 12 was severely damaged - just got to be thrown away.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Comments

• bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    What does the seller have to say?
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    Thank you for your purchase - so sorry - which I also understand - but all this could have been prevented with better packing - the seller thought it is enough packing - but I would not have pack it this way. Really disappointing for buyer like me
    bosoxfan wrote:
    What does the seller have to say?
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    Agree with everything you said.
    Gymkata wrote:
    A few questions:
    - What was the condition of the box itself? Did it look like it (the box) was damaged in shipping in any way?
    - Did you take pictures of the inside of the box after you opened it? Do you have any sort of evidence that the job of packing was not satisfactory? I ask because I've learned through similar experience to open the box and take a picture right away of how the box was packed before I take the contents out.

Regardless, I'd demand restitution. It's absolutely a reasonable expectation that the seller packs the items (especially if they're fragile) sufficiently such that they arrive in the same condition in which they were purchased. Insurance or not, that's on the seller. A refund is in order.
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    edited September 2020
    Absolutely agree
    Some of the packing from companies even is poor.
    I probably go over the top but feel it's respectful that if someone has sent you funds you ensure whatever they have bought arrives as it was advertised.
    Skimping on bubble wrap, tape, bigger box is wrong
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The seller is responsible for the item arriving in the condition it was sold. If I ever send anything out and it gets lost or broken, the onus is on me to do what I can to prevent that, and to accept responsibility if the worst happens.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,525Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The seller is responsible for the item arriving in the condition it was sold. If I ever send anything out and it gets lost or broken, the onus is on me to do what I can to prevent that, and to accept responsibility if the worst happens.

This.

It’s how I’d wish to be treated and how I would treat others.

As long as you don’t open the packaging with a hammer ;%
    YNWA 97
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    When you told the seller/shipper that some items were damaged, upon pictures he should (I would) have offered a full refund or a partial refund (to see with buyer) to cover the loss.......but it's me !!!

Ask for a full refund. If you paid with Paypal it's all good for you.
    Thank you so much for the feedback - sometimes I feel bad to ask for something - I expect others to offer to correct the situation - but disappointed that nothing was offered - also very disappointed to received damaged goods - BTW, this sale is from one of those on Facebook and not from ajb.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Sorry to hear this Kan.

Dealing with strangers on the internet ( both ways) is getting more and more difficult.
    People apparently are lacking more and more morale, compassion and ethics and it‘s only $ and me, me, me.

I prefer dealing ( as buyer and seller) with people I know and know that are reliable.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Sorry to hear this Kan.

Dealing with strangers on the internet ( both ways) is getting more and more difficult.
    People apparently are lacking more and more morale, compassion and ethics and it‘s only $ and me, me, me.

I prefer dealing ( as buyer and seller) with people I know and know that are reliable.

Yes that's the better solution Higgins but if you see someone you don't know is selling something you really need or want, it's sometimes difficult to pass on it !!!
    I buy really often on ebay and even if bad things do happen there (it sadly happened here too....), it's what, maybe 1% of my transactions.
    But you're correct : less and less morale from people nowadays, sadly !!!
    Thank you Markus.
    I would say most transactions were good, but every now and then you got this - yes, better to buy from people you know - otherwise you get sorrow and not joy - its really better not to buy
    Higgins wrote:
    Sorry to hear this Kan.

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Not seeing two very basic questions:
    1) How was it paid for?
    2) Who was the carrier?
    1- paid via Paypal from my bank as Friend & Family - I know, not a good idea - but its $120
    2 - UK Royal Mail
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    1) How was it paid for?
    2) Who was the carrier?
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I'm curious. What were the items that were so damaged that they needed to be thrown away? Those 2 out of 12 came from your money. Personally I would get a refund or send those back at the seller's cost.

Few people know how to pack well. Like another post said, companies don't even pack well. Mostly because they know people care about speed of delivery and will accept a slightly damaged item if they receive an additional discount.

If I deal with people, I always confirm their packing method. The rule is something like 2 to 3 inches of cushioning around the item. And use insurance.
    "Better late than never."
    edited September 2020
    Here are the two items - what do you think?
    120262343-955684154934207-2935766200983192218-n.jpg
    120302183-823400518431538-1900287301337572571-n.jpg
    120136982-2772740933001920-374820126140670134-n.jpg
    The rest got damages too but minor cracks that I can live with - not so happy to received of course - looking back should not have bought it in the first place. Not really a must have for me.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    texas007 wrote:
    1- paid via Paypal from my bank as Friend & Family - I know, not a good idea - but its $120
    2 - UK Royal Mail
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    1) How was it paid for?
    2) Who was the carrier?

So ... not good, even worse.

I don't think there's any recourse under F&F (it's why we say don't use it was strangers ... but you already know that).
    I know insurance claims with RM are difficult, near impossible when final delivery was by another party (namely USPS).

The big problem is these are something of a known risk; I must have gotten triples or even quadruples of some models trying to get these into the US unbroken. And, of course, sellers will just remark "eh, Eaglemoss sent them in jiffy bags originally with never a problem so much be your mail carrier has it in for you!" (And yes, that is an actual defense a seller used with me). Unless you can prove it had 2" of padding all 'round (basically the recommended spacing if a claim is going to be recognized), I'd say -- other than the seller taking pity -- you're out of luck.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Ah the Eaglemoss cars. If you got those direct, they would just send you replacements most likely and not even bother with a return. Too damaged with the case, diorama, and car. I have returned model cars with far smaller defects than that damage.

That friends thing might be a problem like the above post says. I can't remember using it. I thought Paypal removed that option as sellers were abusing it.
    "Better late than never."