Leather Jacket Distressing

0069ReportingForDuty0069ReportingForDuty Posts: 19MI6 Agent
I just bought a pretty decent look alike of the Menlo on ebay for about 60 bucks. Do you guys think its a decent budget alternative?
20201126-000349.jpg

Now once I have this in my possession how do I get it to look as distressed as the Menlo? Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Congratulations 0069 - that looks like a good alternative. Sandpaper is probably the way to go, just test on an inconspicuous area first. My Menlo is pretty heavily distressed - it's like suede in places - so you can afford a little trial and error.

You need to go in a little harder on the areas which would naturally get more wear and tear, such as the top of the pockets, the cuffs, around the neck and the belt area; and go in a little easier on the broader swathes such as the front and back. I'm sure there are tutorials on YouTube which would give some pointers. Good luck!
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Cheese grater. I use these on Indy jackets to great effect.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited November 2020
    Nice find! Be aware that particular J Crew jacket comes fairly distressed in case you don't have it in hand yet.

If you wanna add some wrinkle character, sleep in it for a while and store it wadded up in a cotton pillowcase.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    Taking a shower with it and let it dry on you is a good thing too.
  • 0069ReportingForDuty0069ReportingForDuty Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Cajun wrote:
    Nice find! Be aware that particular J Crew jacket comes fairly distressed in case you don't have it in hand yet.

If you wanna add some wrinkle character, sleep in it for a while and store it wadded up in a cotton pillowcase.

Would you recommend using 70% rubbing alcohol and sandpaper on it? Or toss it in the washer then the dryer on no heat?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Acetone is great.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Acetone is great.

Yes but be careful to not overuse it or dying will disappear.....
    Would you recommend using 70% rubbing alcohol and sandpaper on it? Or toss it in the washer then the dryer on no heat?

The alcohol/acetone technique is typically used to reduce "shine" on brand new, undistressed leathers. This jacket probably doesn't qualify. As has been mentioned, chemicals can remove too much dye on a pre-distressed jacket.

Fine grit sandpaper can be used sparingly on areas which would wear naturally (elbows, seams, back, etc.). Stay away from stitching.

I'd first wear it in the shower, wear it indoors for a while thereafter to induce some natural creasing and let it hang dry. Try the washer (gentle cycle, cold water) and no-heat dryer to take it further if desired.

My concern with this jacket is that since it's pre-distressed, the surface pores will already be open and could be "over-receptive" to further artificial distressing. So proceed with caution.

Good luck and post pics!
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Cajun wrote:

The alcohol/acetone technique is typically used to reduce "shine" on brand new, undistressed leathers. This jacket probably doesn't qualify. As has been mentioned, chemicals can remove too much dye on a pre-distressed jacket.

Fine grit sandpaper can be used sparingly on areas which would wear naturally (elbows, seams, back, etc.). Stay away from stitching.

I'd first wear it in the shower, wear it indoors for a while thereafter to induce some natural creasing and let it hang dry. Try the washer (gentle cycle, cold water) and no-heat dryer to take it further if desired.

My concern with this jacket is that since it's pre-distressed, the surface pores will already be open and could be "over-receptive" to further artificial distressing. So proceed with caution.

Good luck and post pics!

Thanks for the info and I will definitely post pics. When you say fine grit sandpaper. Do you mean 1500, 2000, etc?
    Thanks for the info and I will definitely post pics. When you say fine grit sandpaper. Do you mean 1500, 2000, etc?

I’m not sure of the grit number, but the finest you can possibly source to simulate natural abrasion from wearing the jacket for years. Then you’ll want to proceed very lightly and slowly so as to not overdo it. Anything too coarse will leave visible lines in the leather, which just makes it look like it was dragged across a parking lot.
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Cajun wrote:

Good luck and post pics!

2000 sandpaper seems great. You can begin with a higher grain (3000, 4000...) and lower the grain to the finish you like. Also, you can wet sand.....it will be more gentle for the leather !!!
    edited November 2020
    Fred007 wrote:
    Cajun wrote:

What do you think of using #0000 steel wool?

Good luck and post pics!

2000 sandpaper seems great. You can begin with a higher grain (3000, 4000...) and lower the grain to the finish you like. Also, you can wet sand.....it will be more gentle for the leather !!!

What do you think of #0000 steel wool?
    I never used that but it could be fine !!!
    Cajun wrote:

I'm wondering how you knew it was j crew! Did you have this jacket?
    Cajun wrote:

I'm wondering how you knew it was j crew! Did you have this jacket?

You can see the J.Crew tag inside the jacket in your picture :))