Best Villain of the Moore Era?

maxzorinmaxzorin Posts: 9MI6 Agent
edited April 2005 in General James Bond Chat
Who is the best Villian of Roger Moores Era?

IMO it would have to be Max Zorin, Hugo Drax, or Scaramanga. I really can't deside out of those three

Comments

• Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    For me its fairly simple, Christopher Lee as Scaramanga. He was the best thing about The Man With The Golden and an all around great actor.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Quoting maxzorin:Who is the best Villian of Roger Moores Era?

IMO it would have to be Max Zorin, Hugo Drax, or Scaramanga. I really can't deside out of those three

3 brilliant villains there, though I'd err on Christopher Lee. He's classy and spohisticated, and has a lot of respect for Bond. Zorin and Drax, though again both brilliant villians, are both insane. Scaramanga is just an extraordinary asassin.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • TigerTiger Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I hope SiCo or Hardyboy don't complain about that photo being MGM copyrighted. My favorite villian from the Moore Era is Scaramanga, with Dr. Kananga at a close second.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Uh, what photo? Looks like our new mod, Scaramanga1, removed something. . .I'm not the ONLY mod here, ya know!

But back on topic, I have to give my vote to Michael Lonsdale's Drax. OK, he's nothing at all like the character from the novel; but Lonsdale's performance is both sinister and wryly amusing--listen to his delivery of the funniest lines in the films. It's a shame the movie wasn't a better vehicle for his strengths.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited May 2005
    In a way it's too bad Christopher Lee's Scaramanga didn't join forces with Michel Lonsdale's Hugo Drax--perhaps as Drax's right hand man...Lee and Lonsdale are easily the best things about their respective movies and are Roger Moore's most impressive villains.
  • Ryder on the StormRyder on the Storm Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Scaramanga then Max Zorin.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    I go with the one who hasn't been said yet, Stromberg. I think that of all the Moore villains, he was the one that looked the most villainous. I like the way that he performed in the movie and his plot. I also like Scaramanga. He is one of the more exciting villains. For me, when I think of a Moore villain, I think of him.
  • TigerTiger Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:Uh, what photo? Looks like our new mod, Scaramanga1, removed something. . .I'm not the ONLY mod here, ya know!

But back on topic, I have to give my vote to Michael Lonsdale's Drax. OK, he's nothing at all like the character from the novel; but Lonsdale's performance is both sinister and wryly amusing--listen to his delivery of the funniest lines in the films. It's a shame the movie wasn't a better vehicle for his strengths.

Sorry hardy, but the picture that had been posted was of Max Zorin and obviously Scaramanga1 removed it. If you saw it you would have removed it, right?
  • 007online007online Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    edited October 2002
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Uh, what photo? Looks like our new mod, Scaramanga1, removed something. . .I'm not the ONLY mod here, ya know!

Quoting Tiger:Sorry hardy, but the picture that had been posted was of Max Zorin and obviously Scaramanga1 removed it. If you saw it you would have removed it, right?

Yeah, I'm sure Hardyboy would have removed it ;)

I know this is going off topic a bit, but i'm sure i'm speaking on behalf of all the mods when I say that if you see a picture posted, please report the post with the feature above every post. This means that the moderators will instantly know about the post in question.
    _____

Back to topic... for me, Scaramanga was by far the best villian of the Roger Moore era. He had a sence of class about him, and he was a believeable villain, unlike the meglomaniac Stromberg.

The highlight of TMWTGG has to be the shootout on the beach between 007 and Scaramanga. You feel there really is nothing between these two gentlemen and that they really are the two best shots in the world !
  • Commander BondCommander Bond Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Sorry to disagree with everyone here, but I think Prince Kamal Kahn was the best 007 nemesis to appear in the Moore era. His plot was not to destroy a major city, not take over to world or create the perfect human race under the sea. His plot was real, with no super-weapons or massive laser beams, no: he was simple, effective and if Bond didn't have all that money in his pocket then he would be dead by now! Also, General Orlov was a great character, too, and played with immense skill.
    "Octopussy" rules (the film, not the girl).
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Henchmens Loque and Gobinda deserves a mention , I think.
  • Trench diggerTrench digger Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    I agree with a lot of the suggestions here. Octopussy, FYEO, AVTAK, and even Moonraker all have excellent villians. But Scaramanga? While I think Christopher Lee is great, I think just about everything about TMWTGG falls completely flat (outside of the juvenile humor, which here works for some reason). I didn't even think Lee was in the movie enough to justify him being a great character.

opinions, like belly buttons: everybody's got one...
    -{ Td
  • Martini97Martini97 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    1. Zorin
    2. Scaramagna
    3. Kamal Khan - I think Kamal Khan was actually the first crush I had on as a Bond villain, because Louis Jordan was charming but yet ruthless.
  • AuricGoldfingerAuricGoldfinger Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    The good thing about Bond villains, specially in the Moore era is that they are Rich, sophisticated, very relaxed and don't act on their pshychosis... well... not at first ;)

I think Christopher Walken did a very good job, was convincing (like he always is when playing a phsycopath) But i think Either Stromberg, which was REALLY pshycotic and Scaramanga which had so much class and respect for Bond. So Stromberg or Scaramanga, can't really make a choice between those two.
  • Kara MilovyKara Milovy Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    The Moore era didn't have a great crop of villains.

LALD: Kanaga is dull and dies in a silly manner. This movie had good henchmen, especially Geoffrey Holder as Baron Samedi, but the villain is cut-rate.

TMWTGG: Christopher Lee's Scaramanga is a contender, simply because Lee brings such credibility and class to the role. However, the movie brings him down. I'd place him at 2nd best.

TSWLM: Great movie, great henchman, great girl, great locations, boring villain. It is obvious that Stromberg was a last-minute replacement for Blofeld.

MR: Hugo Drax? He never moves his lips. He is doing a cheap Dr. No imitation without the scariness of the original. He even dresses like Dr. No.

FYEO: Now we're talking. Kristatos has a very creepy face, even without any Flemingesque deformities. The first time I saw this movie, I was fooled by the double-cross for a bit, and that's hard for a Bond movie to pull off. He is duplicitous and evil, and his feud with rival Columbo is fascinating. Kristatos is my #1 villain of the Bond era.

OP: Kamal Khan is a good villain, if a simpering one. Gen. Orlov is also very, very good. The movie suffers a little from not knowing which of these is the main villain, which is similar to TLD. They'll come in #3.

AVTAK: Terrible movie, terrible villain. Walken giggles. I don't need my Bond villains to giggle. :s
  • YourBestStalkerYourBestStalker Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    Scaramanga, because he had all the great villain qualities! And a great "lair" (the island)
  • Adrian_MalpraveAdrian_Malprave Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    Max Zorin I have to say was excellent. He was a psycho and a complete idiot, you dont usally find that in a Bond villain so I thought that he was rather suprising.
    Tee Hee wasn't to bad. His ending off was a little rubbish. Breaking into Bonds cabin and finding a one way ticket- out the train window.

Stromburg was kinda hopless. He had odd fingers and he died very crappy. Shooting through a pipe? I dont think so.
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    The Moore era had a number of charistmatic villians - namely Scaramanga, Drax, Zorin and Kristatos, but my overall favourite out of these has to be an outside contender, Dr Kananga from Live And Let Die. Actor Yaphet Kotto played the Kananga/Mr Big double role with considerable charm, especially when he mockingly greets Bond and Solitaire into his underground hideout.
  • Iona Havelock RIPIona Havelock RIP Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    1. Emile Leopold Locque and Hector Gonzales?
  • KissyfanKissyfan Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Christopher Walken/Zorin was best, he was very smart, industrious, charismatic, touched in the head (hence the giggling), immature and treacherous. When he says he wants to make a killing he means it. I think that the Moore films overall had the best lineup of villians.
  • DominoDomino Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Zorin hands down, but henchman Locque and Gobinda (Oddjob?) are also good. I dislike Stromberg.
  • Georgis_DeceptionGeorgis_Deception Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Quoting Tiger:
    I hope SiCo or Hardyboy don't complain about that photo being MGM copyrighted. My favorite villian from the Moore Era is Scaramanga, with Dr. Kananga at a close second.

Yup these are my top two too. Try saying top two too after a few beers!
  • Dr KauffmanDr Kauffman Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Difficult- none of them are incredibly memorable so im going to go with the one that stands out the most- Zorin, He may be a little wierd but as the disclaimer at the begging says- zorin isn't meant to represent a "real" person.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Hard decision, IMHM the Roger Moore era didn't really have a lot of great villains. My favourite movie from that era is LALD but it isn't really anything at all to do with the villain.
    If I had to choose I'd probably have to say Scaramanger or Zorin. Scaramanger was cool and very secretive and his island totally rocked! If I could, I'd definitely have one!
    Zorin was an interesting character because he's the only villain who was officially a phsycopath. All the others are just claimed to be. I didn't really get his plan or Scaramanger's but they were both good villains.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Bond_JamesBond_James Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Of the moore era i loved Zorin as a villan. He had a great rold in the movie.
  • Nikolai_Diavolo 05Nikolai_Diavolo 05 Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    Tie between Scaramanga & Max Zorin.
  • SeansGalSeansGal Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Scaramanga. I think he was fascinating.
    he was sexy, dangerous, and good with a gun.
    sound like anyone we know?

he was kinda the 'other side of the coin' for
    Bond.

Besides, it's my fave Moore Bond film.
  • Nikolai_Diavolo 05Nikolai_Diavolo 05 Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    That 3rd nipple was pretty nifty, too!
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    I have to say Kristatos, with Zorin (a pure psychopath!) a close second!
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Stromberg. Definately Stromberg.