Corgi Gold Ingot and other promotional models

I hope that some nice ajb members can help shed some light on these gold ingot promotional models. I would like to know how many different versions exist, and how many of each variation have been produced and in which timeframe? I think the first came in late 2001, but when were the last made? Each time one comes up for sale it seems to be a different version, with edition numbers of 99, 150 or 199 pieces stated.
And I am not quite sure who got these models originally – were they presented only to the most important Corgi stockists? Or some versions maybe given away as prizes in a contest?

Although they look similar, there are at least four different ingots. The one I have only has the Corgi and Bond logos and 0 and 2 embossed on the top and contains a letter from “M.”
ingot2.jpg
ingot4.jpg

This one from Vectis looks similar but came with a dossier folder – was the letter from “M.” inside? And should all ingots like this include the dossier? Or was this an earlier, more elaborate version followed by another with just the letter?
vectis7.jpg

Other ingots have an additional GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY embossing on the front. This one included a letter from Corgi dated 10th October 2001. Is this the earliest ingot version? (photos from ebay auction)
opportunity1.jpg
opportunity2.jpg
opportunity3.jpg
opportunity4.jpg
opportunity5.jpg

(all following photos from Vectis)
vectis10.jpg
vectis13.jpg

45 gold ingots were sold by Comet Miniatures. These include a numbered certificate. However, the boxes look like they came from different batches:
There are some with the two logos and 02 printed in black on the top instead of embossed.
vectis3.jpg
vectis5.jpg

This one has black logos printed on gold-coloured cardboard, cut out and glued onto the gold-foiled ingot. Looks a bit home-made.
vectis4.jpg

And there also were some which included a Director's Cut DB5. Here I think that the correct DB5 has been replaced with a cheaper 40th Anniversary car CC04307, and the original car probably sold separately.
I am not sure if these still have 02 on the top, which would make the Director's Cut DB5 from 2005 obviously too new. But maybe this is indeed a newer version as I can't make out any logos?
vectis6.jpg
vectis11.jpg
vectis12.jpg

Any further information would be greatly appreciated! :)

(Edit: title changed)

Comments

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Had not seen the Directors Cut variant.

There were 3 official Corgi: Golden Opportunity was the first with the letter & COA from "M" on the flap in the box. There was an identical ingot without the flap for the coa and then the Comet Miniatures version which had a Corgi card printed coa and a certificate from Comet printed on a piece of A5 paper. The ingot was foil covered with date & Bond decals on top. The Golden Opportunity ingot was gold card with embossed date & Bond logo. I think originally the initial edition was 99 units. Corgi sold off an undisclosed number of the plated DB5s in sealed clear packets through their collectors publication. I speak from experience, spare embossed ingots in plain white boxes were available direct from Corgi (guess thats where the Directors Cut variant originated from). I believe initially the promotion had not been approved by the Bond copyright holder hence remaining stocks being retailed through Comet...
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    edited July 2013
    Peter
    I hope I may be able to contribute some information.

I was only aware of 3 versions.

below is a page from the July/August 2002 Corgi Collector magazine that gives some information.

CORGI.jpg

I have one of the 'over-runs' as they call it, the letter of authenticity that came with it states that it is 1 of an over-run of 200, it came bubble wrapped in plain white box.

I agree with ppw306r that the 'golden opportunity' ingot was version 1 (which I have a copy).

I think you have version 2.

With regard to version 3 I have no information except that the boxes appear to be different - why? on such a short run of 45 and if you look closely to the version with certificate 037 you will see the ingot tops are on the wrong way round.

Version 4 Just looks odd to me.

With regards to your comment about this version
    http://postimg.cc/image/iknvh4ttp/
    I think it could be the promotional version as shown in the July/August 2002 Corgi Collector magazine.

Cheers
    Robert

Addendum;
    As far as I know only 3 companies got involved with the promotions:
    1. MGM had 199 versions of the box set CC99106 with a gold plated Aston Martin instead of the standard silver version.
    2. Past Times had a version of the box set CC99106 with a Goldfinger Rolls Royce instead of the TLD Aston Martin (I have one of these)
    3. Woolworths had two alternative window display box sets which had only 3 models; Aston Martin, TSWLM Esprit and FYEO Esprit (I have both)
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    The Comet Miniatures ingot was completely different to the official two Corgi Golden variant ingots. Firstly the ingot itself was constructed of a more robust card which was wrapped in gold foil. The hallmarks on top were individual decals & I believe they were reversed to the official Corgi. The Golden Opportunity ingot was a much thinner gold finished card with embossed hallmarks on top. Only the first Golden Opportunity had the fold down flap for the coa. Neither letter or coa was included with the second ingot which did not have the embossed Golden Opportunity wording. It was this ingot which was available from Corgi in a plain white box although unofficially. The Comet ingot had the fold down flap which covered the DB5 until the ingot was fully open but it did not have the Bond silhouette adhesive COA signed by M. The Comet coa looked like it had been knocked up on a home printer. The Comet ingot retailed for £500 initially untill one appeared on ebay for £1000 & then I believe they followed suit. I have previously owned all 3 variants but did not like them enough to keep them for my collection as I felt the ingot was too large & I was over the initial frenzy. -{
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    The Comet Miniatures ingot was completely different to the official two Corgi Golden variant ingots. Firstly the ingot itself was constructed of a more robust card which was wrapped in gold foil. The hallmarks on top were individual decals & I believe they were reversed to the official Corgi. The Golden Opportunity ingot was a much thinner gold finished card with embossed hallmarks on top. Only the first Golden Opportunity had the fold down flap for the coa. Neither letter or coa was included with the second ingot which did not have the embossed Golden Opportunity wording. It was this ingot which was available from Corgi in a plain white box although unofficially. The Comet ingot had the fold down flap which covered the DB5 until the ingot was fully open but it did not have the Bond silhouette adhesive COA signed by M. The Comet coa looked like it had been knocked up on a home printer. The Comet ingot retailed for £500 initially untill one appeared on ebay for £1000 & then I believe they followed suit. I have previously owned all 3 variants but did not like them enough to keep them for my collection as I felt the ingot was too large & I was over the initial frenzy. -{
    Thank you for the informative explanation -{ it is nice to get accurate information from the horses mouth so to speak.
    I think the word 'Frenzy' sums up our desire to to obtain items no matter what it costs sometimes.
    These are the unseen before original A3 Corgi concept designs for the Gold Ingot itself & accompanying paperwork. There were no duplicates & neither will there be hence some details being deliberately covered -{
    DSC02019.jpg
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    These are the unseen before original A3 Corgi concept designs for the Gold Ingot itself & accompanying paperwork. There were no duplicates & neither will there be hence some details being deliberately covered -{
    DSC02019.jpg
    Now that is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time!
    Thank you for sharing that little gem -{
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Thank you both for the wealth of information! -{

I have often wished that Dave Worrall would update his book "The James Bond Diecasts of Corgi" and release an expanded, full-colour edition of it. As it's 17 years since he published his book, there are a lot of regular and promotional variants in the meantime.
    But who needs Worrall when you've got ajb? ;) The knowledge here is amazing! Thank you for showing the artwork, this would also be at home in the "modest collection" thread - when will we see the next update BTW? :)

And Robert, thank you for showing the collector club magazine. This explains very well that the ingots were not produced for retailers (I thought for the "Corgi Gold Stockists") but "produced exclusively to entice top blue-chip UK companies to use Corgi to promote their services". Another piece of the puzzle solved. :)
    But who needs Worrall when you've got ajb? ;) The knowledge here is amazing! Thank you for showing the artwork, this would also be at home in the "modest collection" thread - when will we see the next update BTW? :)

Thank you both for your kind comments. "Modest Collection" will be updated when I have something additional which is not run of the mill & therefore worthy of inclusion. Funny enough I missed out on two pristine promotional pieces for the Corgi 261 & 270 Aston Martin DB5 earlier this morning which I'm pretty certain are the same examples which I got outbid on on ebay a few years ago which I am simply "Gutted" over.....Twice! :(
  • VoituerVoituer Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Funny enough I missed out on two pristine promotional pieces for the Corgi 261 & 270 Aston Martin DB5 earlier this morning which I'm pretty certain are the same examples which I got outbid on on ebay a few years ago which I am simply "Gutted" over.....Twice! :(

More info please........................
    Thank you both for the wealth of information! -{

I have often wished that Dave Worrall would update his book "The James Bond Diecasts of Corgi" and release an expanded, full-colour edition of it. As it's 17 years since he published his book, there are a lot of regular and promotional variants in the meantime.

And Robert, thank you for showing the collector club magazine. This explains very well that the ingots were not produced for retailers (I thought for the "Corgi Gold Stockists") but "produced exclusively to entice top blue-chip UK companies to use Corgi to promote their services". Another piece of the puzzle solved. :)

It a pleasure to be of some help Peter.
    I agree Dave Worralls book is a brilliant reference guide, I used to take to all the toyfairs and was fortunate to get it signed by Marcel van Cleemput back in 2001.
    Voituer wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Funny enough I missed out on two pristine promotional pieces for the Corgi 261 & 270 Aston Martin DB5 earlier this morning which I'm pretty certain are the same examples which I got outbid on on ebay a few years ago which I am simply "Gutted" over.....Twice! :(

Yes I agree more info please, please, please :)
    Voituer wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:

Pristine/unused counter display cards for the Corgi 261 & 270 Aston Martins. They were at a premium but I am genuinely gutted to have missed out on them again!......Bugger! :(
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Voituer wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:

Pristine/unused counter display cards for the Corgi 261 & 270 Aston Martins. They were at a premium but I am genuinely gutted to have missed out on them again!......Bugger! :(

were they real as some fakes were made up some years ago and with such high quality printing that I could not tell they were fakes but knew they were. the fakes also included the 336 and one for the Avengers corgi set
    Voituer wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Voituer wrote:

were they real as some fakes were made up some years ago and with such high quality printing that I could not tell they were fakes but knew they were. the fakes also included the 336 and one for the Avengers corgi set

Oh XXXX!.....thank you for the info Nick. I was not aware of that little bomb shell :o
    They are still on the QDT website. I'd be very interested in your opinion. Cheers -{
    edited July 2013
    As far as I know only 3 companies got involved with the promotions:
    1. MGM had 199 versions of the box set CC99106 with a gold plated Aston Martin instead of the standard silver version.
    2. Past Times had a version of the box set CC99106 with a Goldfinger Rolls Royce instead of the BMW Z3 (I have one of these)
    3. Woolworths had two alternative window display box sets which had only 3 models; Aston Martin, TSWLM Esprit and FYEO Esprit (I have both)
    I've never heard of the Woolworths sets before but I have one of the Past Times sets somewhere. Limited Edition was 2,000 if I remember correctly? So did receive Past Times an ingot and decided to participate? Who would have thought that Past Times was one of the 100 “top blue-chip UK companies”. ;)

I have changed the thread title to include a few more promotionals before this thread gets pushed back into oblivion, with the hope that you guys can provide additional info, and pictures of your promos as well. I am sure there are many out there that I don't even have seen before.
    With most promos, it is quite difficult to obtain information regarding the quantities or whether the models were produced directly by Corgi, or finished by other companies with or without Corgi's knowledge and participation (making this “code 1”, “code 2” or “code 3” models respectively, with code 1's and 2's considered authentic Corgi products). Hope you can fill in the blanks.

CC99106 MGM (2002?)

MGM4.jpg

199 examples of the CC99106 Definitive Bond Film Canister 4 Piece Set had their standard DB5 replaced by a gold-plated one, similar to the gold ingot cars, for a special version made for MGM. So there are “only” 12701 of the original CC99106 sets left. The outer box doesn't identify the special MGM version, only after opening the film canister is the special edition revealed.
    I guess this was produced around the time of DAD's release.

MGM1.jpg

Included is a small certificate which seems to be the same style and size as those from the first ingot variant. “This certificate guarantees that the enclosed gold plated Aston Martin DB5 is a special edition produced exclusively for MGM.” And the (printed) signature of Corgi CEO Chris Guest.
    The standard numbered certificate was retained. Mine is no. 01067 which raises the question if the 199 sets have consecutive numbers?
    MGM2.jpg

The DB5 included in the MGM and ingot sets are different from the 30th anniversary car 96445 of which 7,500 were produced in 1993. The “Made in China” on the older car (left) has been removed and the old Corgi logo replaced with the current one. The 1993 car is riveted while the newer cars use Phillips screws. The wheels, grille and bumpers on the ingot/MGM models are gold, while the earlier example has chrome wheels and trim. The later cars don't have the 007 licence plate stickers.
    MGM3.jpg

The gold-plating on the newer cars is of much better quality. The blue spots on the left car are unfortunately not reflections but tarnishing of the gold finish that's typical on these cars. Although there are better examples out there than this one.
    MGM5.jpg

Leaving the gold-plated stuff behind, the others are shown chronologically. Next is a model that is already pictured in Dave Worrall's book.

C271/1 Koepelbeurs/Nationaal Automobielmuseum (1990)

holland1.jpg

25 years passed without Corgi or Eon ever utilizing the James Bond Aston Martin for promotional purposes. Only in 1990 the first DB5 promo model was realized for “Koepelbeurs” which seems to be an annual toy show or swapmeet which was held at the Dutch National Automobile Museum in Raamsdonksveer (in 2010 the museum was relocated to The Hague and reopened as the Louwman Museum).
    Koepelsbeurs had several 1/43 models with similar graphics produced over the years, with cars sourced from Solido, (Matchbox-)Dinky or Vitesse (some can be found on the bay). But naturally the choice for 1990 was Corgi's 1/36 James Bond Aston Martin as the museum had acquired one of the real cars earlier that year. The other Koepelsbeurs promos do not have a direct connection to museum exhibits (e.g. a Toyota Picnic), so it has to be clarified that the promos were not made to promote the museum itself but just the toy show.
    While not one of the two cars seen in Goldfinger and Thunderball, the car in the Nationaal Automobielmuseum was one of the two cars outfitted with replica gadgets by Aston Martin in the mid-60's for Eon promotional use. In 1969 the two cars were sold off by Eon for incredibly low £1,500 (for both!); at the time a new DB6 was about £5,500 ...
    The car is still on display and advertised (with a bit of hyperbole) as “the original DB5 that secret agent James Bond was given by the engineer 'Q' to carry out his mission in the film 'Goldfinger'.”
    http://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/asp/appmain.asp?appactie=collectiedetail&taalcd=en&collsq=5358

holland2.jpg
    Comes in the standard blue Corgi box with C271/1 Aston Martin imprint and the Eon copyright paper slip that was included with every Corgi James Bond Aston Martin from 1984 to about 1992 or '93. This is truly one of the last Corgi Aston Martins produced in Great Britain as production was shifted to China sometime between late 1990 and early 1991, after Mattel had acquired Corgi Toys Ltd. in December 1989.
    A Vectis auction shows a box “with correct flash sticker to top” though this isn't clearly shown. It could be either one of the two logos printed on the boot or roof panel. My box does not have this sticker, as does the one from another Vectis auction. Unfortunately just this part of the box is obscured by an inset photo in Dave Worrall's book.

holland3.jpg
    holland4.jpg
    The graphics are tampo-printed. The roof panel carries the logo of Modelauto which is a Dutch model car magazine (probably the organiser of the toy show). On the boot is a small logo of a vintage car, I guess the museum's former logo.

As there are other Koepelbeurs promotionals with similar graphics I have to assume that this DB5 is a code 3, a model altered without the participation of the company that had made the base car. Many brand-oriented collectors (e.g. collecting only Matchbox or Corgi or Dinky etc.) don't consider code 3's as collectible as they are not finished as intended by the original producer – but with the history linking this with one of the real promotional cars, I have included it in my collection although I normally don't collect code 3's.
    I have no idea how many were produced and would be happy to read any additional information about the model or Koepelbeurs. The model was also shown with other James Bond DB5's on the title page of Modelauto's Sept/Oct 1990 issue which could provide more info.

04303 Collect '99 (1999)

collect991.jpg

This DB5 was produced for the Collect '99 exhibition held at the Wembley Exhibition Centre in London. “Collect '99 is an exhibition with items ranging from models to stamps, to autographs and TV and Film memorabilia” is the only info I found on the web. When was the opening of this exhibition in 1999?

collect992.jpg
    1,000 pieces of the newly released standard Corgi issue 04303 were refinished and included a numbered certificate.

collect993.jpg
    collect994.jpg
    The Collect '99 decoration was done with waterslide decals (I am not sure if the decals on mine have been put on at an angle deliberately – the logo on the certificate is horizontal).

I have not seen the transparent (non-sticky) tape that normally secures the roof panel of 04303 Aston Martins in the closed position on the Collect '99s. So it could be that Corgi just provided standard cars and the certificates, leaving the decals to be applied by Collect '99 afterwards, and they removed the roof protection. This could make the issue a code 2 (more unusual as most models are either code 1 or 3). However, this edition is still easily found.

04303 British Association of Toy Retailers (2000)

BATR1.jpg

The year 2000 marked the 50th anniversary of the British Association of Toy Retailers. I guess this was produced for the BATR Toy of the Year Awards Dinner held in January 2000? (Quite appropriate as the very first Toy of the Year, 1965, was the original Corgi James Bond Aston Martin.) As with the Collect '99 issue, the standard model 04303 was used. This time the car was left unchanged, only a triangular sticker affixed to one corner.
    BATR2.jpg

I don't know how many have been finished, I think I have read 500 somewhere.

04303 Roche Bondronat (2003?)

roche1.jpg

The next model is somewhat obscure. Before I bought this lot I have never seen another, so I'd say this must be quite rare.
    Again, Corgi 04303 is refinished, this time both the model and the box receive some stickers. The roundel sticker is in German and reads “Bondronat / Ostac ...für mehr Lebensqualität” (...for more quality of life).

The decoration is done with thin transparent plastic stickers (not waterslide decals). A dark blue Bondronat sticker on the passenger side, a lighter blue Roche logo on the roof panel and, not visible through the box window, a red Ostac sticker on the driver's side.
    roche2.jpg

This promo has a little brother, too. This is the Johnny Lightning model that was also sold as Corgi with a changed baseplate. The small Bondronat model comes in a special miniature 04303 box. This is a litho-printed and die-cut box made from the original artwork reduced to half size, not like a scanned and colourprinted reprobox. So it most likely came directly from Corgi this way. The small box has an additional (Roche?) item number on the base: 455 0008292 (BON-AUTO).
    roche3.jpg

Of course I had to look up what Bondronat and Ostac are: They are both used against osteoporosis, mainly in combination with cancer treatment that affects bone density. Was this given away to patients, to doctors or to drugstores as shop window decoration? ?:)

Again, I have no idea how many have been produced, and when. Bondronat got its approval in October 2003 but the 04303 had been replaced with the Definitive Collection version two years earlier. Maybe from the time the medication was introduced for clinical studies a few years before its 2003 approval.
    Nice write up Peter. -{
    I have never seen the Roche Bondronat variations before.
    If I can find the Woolworths sets I will post up pics.
    Superb as usual!! -{ -{ -{ -{ -{

I think I have all but the German one and the 50th Toy retailers one. I will have a spare Woolworths sets somewhere if you fancy a swap? There were two 3 vehicle sets, one was a window box and the other had a flap that revealed a window, can't remeber which is which.

I know you comment on my Aston page being incorrect and one day I must get them all together and look at what is what. BTW not many people know about the MGM set - its rare. I don't remember the Past Times set being a gold aston but must admit I have probably never opened mine.

Nick
    edited July 2013
    Voituer wrote:
    I don't remember the Past Times set being a gold aston but must admit I have probably never opened mine.

Nick

It did not have a gold aston just the bog standard one it had a Rolls Royce instead of TLD Aston Martin.....never opened mine either :)

Must admit wouldn't mind one of the MGM sets
    2 million pounds and its yours :))
    edited July 2013
    Voituer wrote:

You drive a hard bargain......its a deal, does that include delivery :))

One sold at Vectis about 2 and half years ago for £170
    Voituer wrote:

You drive a hard bargain......its a deal, does that include delivery :))

One sold at Vectis about 2 and half years ago for £170

its gone up since then!
    Voituer wrote:
    There were two 3 vehicle sets, one was a window box and the other had a flap that revealed a window, can't remeber which is which.
    I have learned something new that the 3-car sets were produced exclusively for Woolworths. I always thought that they were part of the standard range. Thanks for this info.
    Is the Ultimate Collection version a Woolworths exclusive too, or only the two Definitive Collection sets?
    woolworth1.jpg

Voituer wrote:
    I don't remember the Past Times set being a gold aston but must admit I have probably never opened mine.
    It did not have a gold aston just the bog standard one it had a Rolls Royce instead of TLD Aston Martin.....never opened mine either :)
    A quick update just to show you what you've been missing all this time – which isn't much, admittedly. ;)

54621 Past Times (2002)

pasttimes1.jpg
    pasttimes2.jpg

Based on the CC99106 set released a year earlier, the special Past Times version uses the same film canister and outer box artwork. The Past Times logo identifies the special edition, and the reverse side shows the changed content with Goldfinger's Rolls-Royce Phantom III replacing the TLD Vantage coupe.

pasttimes4.jpg
    Item no. is 54621 although the barcode would make this no. 99122? Interestingly, the Past Times set is not suitable for children under 14, while the standard set only unsuitable for ages 0–3. Yes, the Past Times version contains a Rolls-Royce with its pointy radiator mascot. Still, makes me wonder how we survived the '60s and '70s with toys like Dinky's FAB 1 where the Flying Lady was cast in metal and not just plastic. :s

pasttimes3.jpg
    And the Past Times set doesn't conform to “British Standard 5665” – time to put on the safety goggles and look what's inside. B-)

pasttimes5.jpg
    pasttimes6.jpg
    Not surprising, the plastic tray is different to accommodate the Rolls-Royce. Also the upper packing piece had to be changed with a bulge to clear the higher roof.

pasttimes7.jpg
    pasttimes8.jpg
    The certificate is similar to the standard set, the back reveals the limited edition of 2,000 pieces.

Also revealed is that the Rolls-Royce doesn't even have a dangerous Flying Lady mascot, as it is the model from the Ultimate Bond Collection, not the better detailed Director's Cut variant. So why is this set not suitable for children under 14? The skis on the Lotus or the Z3's rockets are just as sharp and dangerous as any part of the Rolls-Royce. 8-)
    I've tried to remove the Rolls from the packaging but wasn't successful because of the tight fit. Didn't want to break something off or hurt myself with all those sharp edges. ;)

This is the only way to obtain the Phantom III in a Definitive Collection packaging, as this was only released as part of the Ultimate Bond Collection. And it is the only 1/43 model among the 1/36 cars, although it doesn't look that much smaller.

And coming full circle to the gold ingots: Maybe there was an official forth version after all?
    On http://www.corgi.free.fr is a certificate for a “CP04301 James Bond Gold Plated Aston Martin DB5 & Gold Ingot Box”, signed by Corgi Sales & Marketing Director Colin Summerbell. Limited edition of 50 - I think this was the one I misremembered as a run of 150 in my original post.

(pictures from http://www.corgi.free.fr/Pages/4301_Aston_Martin_DB5.htm)
    corgifreefr2.jpg
    If the picture next to the certificate is from this run then this ingot has the same odd-looking glued-on logos as the one Vectis auction.
    corgifreefr1.jpg

Tthere's also a clearer view on one of the Comet Miniatures certificates showing the limited edition of 45. So the Summerbell-signed was not a second certificate included with the Comet ingots.
    corgifreefr3.jpg
    edited July 2013
    The home made looking certificate is the second one which came from Comet Miniatures, the one which I had previously said looked like it had been knocked up on a home computer. It was on a piece of A4 or A5 paper folded in half. The bottom certificate was printed on glossy card & was sent in the post under separate cover. All Comet ingots should have both certificates but unfortunately some have managed to get a spare ingot & one of the Corgi Collectors Club loose gold plated Astons to make an extra certified ingot. Only the Comet glossy certificates had an edition number so buyer beware!
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    The home made looking certificate is the second one which came from Comet Miniatures, the one which I had previously said looked like it had been knocked up on a home computer. It was on a piece of A4 or A5 paper folded in half. The bottom certificate was printed on glossy card & was sent in the post under separate cover. All Comet ingots should have both certificates but unfortunately some have managed to get a spare ingot & one of the Corgi Collectors Club loose gold plated Astons to make an extra certified ingot. Only the Comet glossy certificates had an edition number so buyer beware!

Once again it's good to have first hand information...thank you -{

Well done Peter you are certainly working hard to keep this thread interesting. -{

I am not sure whether the Ultimate Collection version was part of the Woolworth range.

Do you think that the 'Collectables' Magazine and the 'Spyguise' Corgi Bond items fall within the promotional models as they both started around 2002/2003?
    A big thank you from me too, "Donk", for clarifying the certificate question. So the Comet version included one certificate with "limited edition of not more than 45 pieces" and another with "only 50 certificated models" ... :s

Do you think that the 'Collectables' Magazine and the 'Spyguise' Corgi Bond items fall within the promotional models as they both started around 2002/2003?
    If you have Spyguise or Collectables models please feel free to add them, I'd be happy to see more pictures.

"Collectables" wanted to post a list of all the Bond limited editions his company produced in this thread - but after two and a half years I wouldn't hold my breath much longer. ;)
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/36260/otb-goldplated-007-cars/
    I think the Collectables are code 3's but I'll appreciate any additional info.
    I hope I can do justice to Peters Excellent Post by adding the following items, some of them are quite well known already.

THE COLLECTABLES RANGE
    TLF FILM CANISTER - limited to 150
    This item was released in February 2002 in response to a prior Bond promotion that was run in Edition 50 of the Collectables magazine, I am not sure what the original Bond promotion was but it could have involved the Gold Aston Martin Ingot run-ons, if anybody can verify what it was that would be appreciated. This promotion consisted of the TLD Aston Martin in a film reel tin with a rather poor numbered ingot with a 'C' in it, also a 007 ingot and a printed numbered certificate, the car was also numbered on the base. This can still be easily obtained generally at a lower cost that it was originally £45.
    TIN1.jpg
    TIN2.jpg
    TIN3.jpg

ASTON MARTIN DB5 - Limited to 150
    Not a very inspiring item just a standard Corgi Thunderball Aston Martin in a Black Plastic Case with a 'C' Sticker on the bonnet and a crude 007 ingot and label showing the number. Many other items were produced with just 'C' stickers on the bonnet and a certificate, some were even gold and silver plated overall not very inspiring, I did not bother with any of the others.
    ASTON2.jpg
    ASTON1.jpg

SPYGUISE
    This range started in October 2001 with the Thunderball Aston Martin and took Corgi models from the Definitive, Ultimate and Generic Bond Range, released in varying amounts from 250 to 1,000 all the boxes utilised artworks by Jeff Marshall.
    These pictures do not cover the whole series.
    SPYASTON2.jpg
    SPYASTON1.jpg
    SPYBUGGY.jpg
    SPYNELLIE.jpg
    SPYFYEO.jpg
    SPYLOTUS.jpg
    SPYOHMSS.jpg
    SPYTLD.jpg

Also sold by Spyguise was this Corgi New York Toy Show 2001 BMW Z3 - limited to 500 , a standard BMW Z3 with overprinting to the sides and boot and came in a blank Goldeneye Box.
    TOYFAIRZ3.jpg

More to follow...........................
    The Spyguise corgis were very nice and basically a packaging variation but all with artwork by Jeff Marshall.

The collectibles stuff were corgi models put into what looked like anything available, film cans, hobby plastic boxes, hobby aluminium cases and then given a bubble jet printed certificate and bundled with a poor resin 007 plaque and sold to collectors at a premium. Some plated models were produced in smaller numbers.

It seems that many collectors see these for what they actually were and avoided at all costs. I used to see many new collectors in the field buy these for high prices and many fingers were burned. Someone made a lot of money out of these.
    Voituer wrote:
    The collectibles stuff were corgi models put into what looked like anything available, film cans, hobby plastic boxes, hobby aluminium cases and then given a bubble jet printed certificate and bundled with a poor resin 007 plaque and sold to collectors at a premium. Some plated models were produced in smaller numbers.

It seems that many collectors see these for what they actually were and avoided at all costs. I used to see many new collectors in the field buy these for high prices and many fingers were burned. Someone made a lot of money out of these.

Agree with you 100% Nick
    Voituer wrote:

Agree with you 100% Nick

I was trying to avoid saying they are crap, but they were a collecting low.
    Robert, thank you for adding your photos and bringing this thread back on page 1 where it belongs. :))

I haven't started with the Collectables items as there were so many different available on ebay at the time that it was too confusing for me. But I am surprised that the letter says the 'C' logo was applied with Corgi's permission. I always thought that these were code-3 models. But with Corgi's permission this makes them code 2's which should be are regarded as authentic Corgi products. Do I have to start collecting them now? 8-)

The Spyguise boxes are very nice although I too do not have all. Some like the Sunbeam Alpine or AMC Hornet I didn't find so exciting. And funny that the Goldfinger DB5 does not have the ejector seat but the Thunderball does (because the Goldfinger version came later and utilized the Ultimate Collection DB5 instead of the earlier Definitive Collection model).
    If anyone is interested in the Spyguise versions, most are still available directly from Spyguise (ebay name: osato) for a good price - $45 (~ £29) with free worldwide shipping. I have seen some of them selling for two to three times as much.