Most famous actor EVER?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
Simple question - Who do you think is the most famous actor ever?

By that I mean, the most famous purely from acting (So I'm not talking about famous people that have acted, ie Ronald Reagan).

I'm really struggling for an answer but I'm leaning towards Harrison Ford.

Thoughts?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

By that I mean, the most famous purely from acting (So I'm not talking about famous people that have acted, ie Ronald Reagan).

Thoughts?

Hmmmm......I'm not really sure I understand the question. By famous do you mean most well-known? If so, certainly there are many actors as well-known as, if not more well-known than, Harrison Ford (Tom Cruise? Tom Hanks? Will Smith? Al Pacino?) Do you mean most revered as an actor? (Ford is a good actor, but there are plenty that are widely viewed to better from a pure acting standpoint). Like you, I struggle to come up with one answer.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For fame alone I'd go with Clint Eastwood.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Marlon Brando is the first name that comes to mind. Who knows though with media rapidly growing in the last 15-20 years. Are we counting famous strictly as most well known? If that's the case you could argue that Justin Bieber is the most famous musician of all time. The Internet and more recently the rise of social media has really caused our world to globalize much more rapidly.

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp have to be up there among the most famous actors ever.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Thoughts?

Hmmmm......I'm not really sure I understand the question. By famous do you mean most well-known? If so, certainly there are many actors as well-known as, if not more well-known than, Harrison Ford (Tom Cruise? Tom Hanks? Will Smith? Al Pacino?) Do you mean most revered as an actor? (Ford is a good actor, but there are plenty that are widely viewed to better from a pure acting standpoint). Like you, I struggle to come up with one answer.

Yeah I pretty much meant 'most well-known'.
    So not necessarily the most praised, or most popular... but just most well-known.

Incidentally, even though I guessed Harrison Ford, he does also happen to be my favourite actor... but that's just a coincidence.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Edmund Kean or Sara Bernhardt. Then there's John Wilkes Booth, though it wasn't acting that made him famous; and there's always a certain actor who dabbled in play writing, Will Shaxberd.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Marlon Brando is the first name that comes to mind. Who knows though with media rapidly growing in the last 15-20 years. Are we counting famous strictly as most well known? If that's the case you could argue that Justin Bieber is the most famous musician of all time. The Internet and more recently the rise of social media has really caused our world to globalize much more rapidly.

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp have to be up there among the most famous actors ever.

Funny, Brando was the first name that popped into my mind as well!
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Tough one... I think a case could be made for Charlie Chaplin. He was incredibly popular in his prime, and people still watch his movies 124 years after his birth. Plus, Chaplin's influence on film was enormous.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    tough question, trying to think who the worlds most famous actor is,
    having to take into account the different media vehicles used/available
    over the past decades, who would be more well known say in Albania
    Norman Wisdom or Owen Wilson ? but I think if you visited every country on earth
    from the Congo to Rio I think John Wayne would get the most ticks
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Here's another possibility: Bruce Lee. His image is still used to sell books, clothing, etc. Lee was named among TIME Magazine's 100 Most Important People of the Century, and he was voted one of History's 100 Most Influential people in a survey in Japan. I have never personally known a martial artist who doesn't cite Lee as an influence. And then consider all the documentaries, books, articles, biopics, and so on about him. Forty years after his death, Bruce Lee is still a source of fascination for many people.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Given how many people have seen a Bond film, and how long the franchise as been running, I'd imagine Sean or Roger would also be strong contenders.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,289MI6 Agent
    Well, to be boring, if the actor has penetrated China's market, then in terms of sheer numbers, he or she would be most famous.

Those who are icons will be famous: Marilyn Monroe of course, Bogart I guess (though not for the younger generation), Connery as Bond maybe. James Dean. But this would have been easier to say with certainty 20 years ago. Clint, I guess.

Big movie names seem to be of the past now, don't they? With Cruise, it's like the movies got small in a way, though he's never really changed his schtick, same with Arnie.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Impossible to say really, as it depends upon the target age group you're asking & where you're asking the question, but in general terms IMO the likes of:

Robert De Niro
    Harrison Ford
    John Wayne
    Marlon Brando
    Clint Eastwood
    Sly Stallone
    Arnie
    Humphrey Bogart
    Jack Nicholson
    Tom Hanks
    Tom Cruise

... would all be right up there as first names mentioned.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm suprised Idris Elba hasn't got a mention. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    I'm suprised Idris Elba hasn't got a mention. :))

There's plenty of time .... ;)
    edited July 2013
    Surely web presence or Google hits would suggest who is most famous? Or has China shut down the 'net? :D

Hmm, maybe not, compare the number of hits Roger Moore has to Sean Connery... and Bogart to John Wayne. Tom Cruise has way more than Marilyn Monroe, and Leonardo DiCaprio more than both. It only depends on whether the star has been mentioned since the internet came to town.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I've been fortunate to travel extensively all over the world and often well off the beaten path. If we're seeking the most famous actor in the world, we have to consider those who are known in rural Africa, Asia and the Middle East, not just Europe and the Americas. If we use sports as a guideline, in months of travelling throughout rural Africa there is only one American athlete who ever gets a mention or a look-in...and that's Michael Jordan. In the big cities you might see LeBron or one of the African athletes who've made it in the NBA in certain areas or very occasionally Mohammed Ali, but you'll never ever come across a baseball, NFL or ice hockey player no matter how massive they might be in the US, Europe or Latin America. However, everywhere you go in Africa, the Middle East and Asia you see and hear athletes (ie Usain Bolt) and footballers...Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham (still) etc etc etc and you see football shirts being worn in even the most remote places in even the poorest of countries. I would confidently bet that of the top 10 most recognisable/famous sportsmen in the world, at least 8 would be footballers whereas Beckham would likely be the only one to make a similar poll in the U.S. right now.

Who is 'big' in the west isn't necessarily 'big' in the most populated parts of the world. I've never seen a photo, poster or painting of Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne or Clint Eastwood anywhere in rural Africa or Asia...but I have seen tons and tons of illustrations of Sylvester Stallone as Rambo! In the past 5-6 years I've seen tons of pictures of Daniel Craig as Bond throughout those same places...but never one of Connery, Moore or any of the others. Even pre-Craig, I don't ever remember seeing Connery or Moore etc away from the biggest cities and even then only rarely.

So, even taking into consideration fame in the west, after you've factored in fame from the huge populations in the developing world - especially rural populations - you might well find that someone like Sylvester Stallone beats everyone else hands-down.

Or Idris Elba. :D
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    probably Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I think this is probably a generational thing. My Mum would say Charlton Heston, my Dad would say John Wayne. What we need is the actor that crosses the board.

I immediately thought of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, husband went with Marlon Brando.

What surprised me was my 16yrs old who straight away said Tom Cruise. She doesn't watch his films, more of a Taylor Lautner/ Zac Effron girl, but that was her top choice for 'most famous'.

So, as much as it pains me as I cant stand him, I would go with Tom Cruise. He crosses the board, is still relevant and is a massive force in Hollywood
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Although his acting was limited to music videos and Men In Black II, I'm certain Michael Jackson is by far the most famous person to ever act.

In terms of people famous purely for their acting, I'd say Humphrey Bogart was more famous in his time than any actor has been since. But due mainly to the huge changes in technology, I don't think he or any other stars from the past, are still as famous.

Today, I think Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise are probably the most famous.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I immediately thought of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, husband went with Marlon Brando.

And that doesn't bother you at all? It's a hell of a thing to come out in a discussion like this.

And what era Brando are we talking about? I mean, we could all go on the turn around his Wild Ones period, but latterly he got quite obese...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

And what era Brando are we talking about? I mean, we could all go on the turn around his Wild Ones period, but latterly he got quite obese...

...which could strengthen the argument that he was the biggest star in the world, if not the most famous...
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Mark 'one trick pony but it still made me a household name' Hamill
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Mark 'one trick pony but it still made me a household name' Hamill

Surely he's only the third most famous Joker.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    Given how many people have seen a Bond film, and how long the franchise as been running, I'd imagine Sean or Roger would also be strong contenders.

I agree, and around the time You Only Live Twice was released, Sean Connery was most certainly one of the most famous actors worldwide, if not the most famous.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

I agree, and around the time You Only Live Twice was released, Sean Connery was most certainly one of the most famous actors worldwide, if not the most famous.

No, that period I'd go with Steve McQueen easily. It was Bond that was famous. McQueen was a famous actor. Connery was a one trick pony with Bond back then.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:

No, that period I'd go with Steve McQueen easily. It was Bond that was famous. McQueen was a famous actor. Connery was a one trick pony with Bond back then.

Of course it was Bond that was famous, but to the movie-going public Sean Connery was Bond! True, that was for many the only role they knew Connery from, but the Bond films were such a global phenomenon that I'd be willing to bet that Sean Connery was recognized by more people around the world at that time (i.e. "famous") than Steve McQueen. Just a hunch, mind you, but that is my impression.
    Tbh, after thinking about it (yes I am capable of self sustained contemplation) I think that the term 'famous' is somewhat puzzling. If you're thinking famous means big name, epic films etc you might think of clint eastwood, john Wayne, james coburn, steve McQueen.

If you think of famous as widely known, I'm afraid I'd have to say someone like will smith or brad Pitt, as it seems no one under the age of 25 these days can recognise any of the true classic epic big film stars. Cary Grant's a bloke?! :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

Of course it was Bond that was famous, but to the movie-going public Sean Connery was Bond! True, that was for many the only role they knew Connery from, but the Bond films were such a global phenomenon that I'd be willing to bet that Sean Connery was recognized by more people around the world at that time (i.e. "famous") than Steve McQueen. Just a hunch, mind you, but that is my impression.

I agree with you 100% BL, and it was not just then but evev more so now, given that fame is also about longevity.

Steve McQueen was a great, but I'd hazard a guess that by 2000 he was much less well known, and if you asked today's generation I imagine few will have heard of him.... Whereas the Bond films are still shown so widely that kids today still know exactly who Sean and Roger are.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Asp9mm wrote:

I agree with you 100% BL, and it was not just then but evev more so now, given that fame is also about longevity.

Steve McQueen was a great, but I'd hazard a guess that by 2000 he was much less well known, and if you asked today's generation I imagine few will have heard of him.... Whereas the Bond films are still shown so widely that kids today still know exactly who Sean and Roger are.

I'd put good money on 8/10 under 18's not being able to recognise Sean Connery.

As far as most famous goes, it'd have to be the most recognised actor by today's society. With the entertainment sectors bulk audience being made of the younger generations, I'd say the likes of SC and RM would virtually be unmentioned.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org