Bonds wages (FRWL)

always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
As you all know ive just finished reading FRWL, now Bond thinks to himself
that Capt Nash aka Grant has a salary of £1000 p.a ,IN the Ipcress file (Michael Caine)
asks for a pay rise, and is told he will bet a similar sum £1100, these 2 films are about the same time,
now £1000 then would be worth about £30,000 today give or take are we to assume our hero is paid the same amount? hardly enough to live in The Kings road and run a Bentley?but we do know Bond was left
a large sum of money from his parents death,can any one fill in the gaps for me please,
By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Well, FRWL was written in 1956 while "The IPCRESS File" was made in 1965, so there would be nearly ten more years of inflation to take into account. Fleming doesn't specify how much money Bond's parents left him, but does mention that he spent about half of it on a Bentley!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    In "The James Bond Bedside Companion", Raymond Benson notes that Bond's salary in 1955 amounted to £1500 a year, and that he also had an additional sum of £1000 a year tax free of his own. When on a job, he also has an unlimited expense account, so for the other months of the year he lives very well on his roughly £2000 a year net.

(Benson doesn't cite which novel it's in, but taking 1955 as a marker, it would probably be Moonraker or Diamonds Are Forever).

In today's money, that amounts to £46,0000 a year net, or probably about £90,000 gross with today's tax in the UK.

Whether that would pay the mortgage on a flat in Chelsea then, or now, is another matter! :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Well, if his parents had left him a lot of money, and he had no siblings to share it with, then he could afford to spend a lot more than he actually earns - which would mean that he can afford a flat in Chelsea and a classic Bentley.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    I think FRWL is one of Fleming' best books, also one of one of the best movies.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    One also must mention Bond's gambling. He does this on a regular basis and since he is the "best card player in the Service", we have to assume he earns a pretty hefty additional income from this. He plays in high stakes games such as baccarat, where you can't even get in unless you have a large stake. Full time gamblers can make a good half million to a million or more a year..even if Bond did this only on the weekends and was successful I'm sure he could probably bring in more than his Service salary. He may also get some small allowance from the Service for clothing, food and and even housing. Add all this to a very probable family inheritance and investments, it would not seem unthinkable that he could not live where he lives and drive battered, used Bentleys.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Upper class but not rich sounds right.

If you make a very good salary, live in an affordable house and don't have any kids to support, you can enjoy a lot of luxury.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Reading in my Barber's today that Craig's Bond has won £65 million
    over his three films, so That may explain his lifestyle. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."