TWINE vs. GoldenEye

Comments

• Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Although I like both, I have to go with TWINE. I actually think TWINE is one of the best Bond movies ever. I have watched the movie numerous times and as has been said, it has many layers. Unlike others I don't think Denise Richards is as bad as other folks think. The PTS is the best ever and Brosnan's performance is top notch. Funny how P & W said they took elements from CR and used them in TWINE and didn't think CR could be made because the material had been used.

GE is very good, but suffers from a poor soundtrack and few plot holes I have trouble overlooking.
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    GE is very good, but suffers from a poor soundtrack and few plot holes I have trouble overlooking.

One in particular I can think of is who the other pilot is stealing the Tiger with Xenia. Who ever it is has to fit the build of the Admiral she killed, so that rules off Oromouv, and it's unlikely to be Trevelyan. Any thoughts?
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent

One in particular I can think of is who the other pilot is stealing the Tiger with Xenia. Who ever it is has to fit the build of the Admiral she killed, so that rules off Oromouv, and it's unlikely to be Trevelyan. Any thoughts?

I believe that is one of those question the writer/director/producers hope you don't think about.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent

I believe that is one of those question the writer/director/producers hope you don't think about.

Obviously, it wasn't important to name the co-pilot. Just another nameless henchman whose overall purpose in the film was fulfilled in this brief scene and he had no further impact. I don't see this any major concern.
  • evilhenchmanevilhenchman U.S.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    TWINE was a good action thriller but I think Goldeneye was better at retaining the Bond genome. While TWINE focused on the action, goldeneye seemed to focus more on the style and stroyline. If Cubby Brocolli were alive today I think he would pick Goldeneye. That's my opinion.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    remember that TWINE was the different story, it departs from the traditional Bond. I chose TWINE because imo its more memorable, every thing about TWINE is perfect (some may debate lol). Goldeneye has a few flaws which make it less memorable. TWINE has alot of different things.

But this is almost like comparing MR to FYEO
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    GE wins NO CONTEST.

TWINE is very overrated. Renard had a lot of potential but it was all squandered and he became an unmemorable, boring and poorly-acted villain with the "I can't feel anything" thing. Also, they could've developed Elektra a bit more about her mother having the Azeri family that owned oil and that Sir Robert "stole" it. (Hey honey, it's called capitalism ;) ) Also, they turned poor Valentin into more of a jokey character than his GoldenEye "tough guy on the surface, humorous on the inside" image. Plus, the submarine sequence was terribly weak in the end in comparison to GoldenEye's very well-played out Cradle sequence with IMO, the best fight scene in the Bond series. (Sorry Red Grant vs. Bond fans).

On a side note, GoldenEye 007 kicks TWINE: The Videogame's a$$ any day of the week! :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    GoldenEye's very well-played out Cradle sequence with IMO, the best fight scene in the Bond series. (Sorry Red Grant vs. Bond fans).
    What! :o If you weren't a lady... X-( :p :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    GoldenEye's very well-played out Cradle sequence with IMO, the best fight scene in the Bond series. (Sorry Red Grant vs. Bond fans).
    What! :o If you weren't a lady... X-( :p :D
    \

I guess it pays to have mistaken identity on a James Bond board... :)
    I guess it pays to have mistaken identity on a James Bond board... :)
    I would agree, except I don't have a mistaken or even secret identity. :# ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    TWINE is very goood, but theres no beating GE!
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I think TWINE is a better film than GE. Brosnan is much more relaxed and confident than he was in his debut and the film flows more naturally (GE seems a bit cut and paste now). I do wish TWINE hadn't had such a damp squib of an ending though.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I'm going to break the mold, I prefure Goldeneye tp TWINE, I just prefered the story, I am quite a big Sean Bean fan. I think it showed more of Bond's character, there was a tiny bit of character development. I don't think TWINE had that.

I prefure the Bond Girls in TWINE, they were both Drop Dead Gorgous, but for some reason I just prefure GE
  • ahh mr bondahh mr bond Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    havent been here for a while........gooda place as any to start...
    GOLDENEYE is better.(Also my fave BOND film!!)
    TWINE is probably my 2nd fave PB film.
    I feel GE has lots too it, the "classic" bond formula etc....Brosnan looks like he's been playing bond for years, excellent Q scene, M's scene (with 007 in office) is genuis and script, stunts, acting is great!!(Cant believ its 11 yaers old!!!!)
    TWINE is good, but doesnt have the "feel" of GE..
    I could go on but think you get the point..?
    11 Years Old? That's somewhat strange to think of as I consider in the pack of "recent" Bond movies.
  • ahh mr bondahh mr bond Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    haha yeh me too, but 1995 it came out!!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Trust me, gentlemen...the older you get, the faster time passes...

It was just yesterday I saw Connery as Bond in DAF on the big screen...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    11 Years Old? That's somewhat strange to think of as I consider in the pack of "recent" Bond movies.
    For me it is 'recent.' GE was the first Bond film I ever saw at the cinemas, so I classify all Brosnan films as 'recent.' Although I imagine when I have kids, they will roll their eyes when I tell them that I once considered GE to be 'recent.' :D
    edited November 2006
    GE and TWINE are my two favourite Brosnan films. I think they are both terrific although I prefer GE.

GE is eighth on my list. The first Bond film I ever saw at the cinemas, I consider it to be almost flawless. I think it's a brilliant Bond film and I consider it to be the best Bond film since TSWLM. I think it has some really great things going for it: Brosnan's performance which was IMO the eighth greatest Bond performance of all time, Xenia whom I consider to be one of the truly great henchpersons of all time, some terrific action scenes, a great villain in Alec, a really good Bond girl in Natalya, some really memorable dialogue, an interesting plot, an awesome PTS and a real sense of fun. There are however two flaws: the psychoanalyzing and the 'misogynistic dinosaur' speech. I really can't stand that PC nonsence. If it wasn't for that I would consider GE to be an absolute masterpiece.

TWINE is 12th on my list. I loved it. However I find it to be among the most frustrating of all Bond films as it features some brilliant concepts and ideas but doesn't deliver on many of them.

The PTS is IMO one of the five greatest of all time, I love the idea of a villain who feels no pain , I love the idea of a villainess whom Bond falls for and who then betrays him, the 'christmas comes only once a year' line is IMO one of the greatest closing lines of all time while some of the other lines are IMO equally brilliant, I love the X-ray sunglasses, I really appreciate the way Desmond Llewelyn's Q was sent off, Brosnan's performance was IMO his masterpiece and the fifth greatest Bond performance of all time and I had a great time.

However there were also many flaws. The villain feels no pain, great, but it proved to be completely irrelevant, Electra was a great villainess (and the killing of her was IMO a classic Bond moment) but the love affair between her and Bond wasn't followed through. I didn't get as much of a sense of betrayal as I would have liked. Also, the actions scenes, with the exception of the skiing scene, weren't great and the final fight was a disappointment. Additionally, while I don't dislike Denise Richards, I do think she's a little young to play a nuclear weapon expert (althugh I did appreciate her name.) I also felt that the abduction of M was completely pointless and served no purpose other than to show off the fact that the film had an Oscar winner as M.

A very good film, but it could have been one of the absolute greats. In fact, I think it could have been another OHMSS. But it fell short. I still think that it's a great film but I think it's just short of a masterpiece.

I think both films are great and the two best since FYEO/OP however I prefer GE.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    GE by miles!
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Sorry to be negative, but I'd rate these two as two of the weaker Bonds overall. That said, I'd say that Goldeneye is only slightly less weak. I felt embarassed watching Denise Richards. That said, I do have a crush on Sophie Morceau...
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I love both films but I would probably have to go for TWINE. I really loved that film. :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,322Chief of Staff
    Dan Same wrote:
    I imagine when I have kids, they will roll their eyes when I tell them that I once considered GE to be 'recent.' :D

Yep, that's what happens all right. It's even worse when it's your grandkids that do it...

"Ooh Papa, you're old enough to remember Roger Moore being picked to be James Bond."
    "Honey, I'm old enough to remember being shocked when they picked an Australian model to be James Bond."

(Not quite old enough to remember Connery being picked!)

PS Oh, and TWINE over GE.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    jboy wrote:
    Sorry to be negative, but I'd rate these two as two of the weaker Bonds overall. That said, I'd say that Goldeneye is only slightly less weak. I felt embarassed watching Denise Richards. That said, I do have a crush on Sophie Morceau...

What he said.{[]

Each one shows the faults of the Brosnan era. But the lack of cause and effect plotting on TWINE sinks that one. Xmas Jones is just a symptom of what is wrong with that one.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    GE's the better film. I remember seeing it at the cinema and just being glad to see Bond on the screen again. But there was so much in it that seemed derivative to me. When I saw TWINE at the cinema I was pretty bored. There's some good moments in it, but the pacing's so slow it could put you in a coma. As much as I like Brosnan as an actor, his Bond movies leave me cold.
  • Lennon007Lennon007 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    GoldenEye by far.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 240MI6 Agent
    Like a lot of you GE and TWINE are my two favourite PB Bond movies, but I have to say GE has the edge. After the wait following LTK I remember coming out of the cinema thinking that was one of the best Bond movies ever. PB could have been playing Bond for years.

The plot was good - the stunts excellent - and having 006 as the villian was an inspiration. The casting was also excellent. You could actually believe that Judi Dench could intimidate Bond, and Robbie Coltrane gave a great performance as Zukovsky. Never totally convinved about Samantha Bond as Moneypenny.

The final fight between 007 nad 006 is one of my favourite scenes in any Bond movie.

Only let down by a poor soundtrack and title song.

TWINE is not quite as flawless. Sophie Marceau is stunning as Electra, and the scene where Bond shot her is one of the seminal moments for the character. However, TWINE was let down by:

Renard - great idea for a villian the not being able to feel pain idea, but was totally squandered. In the final fight with JB he seemed to get hurt just like anyone else. The showdown was weak in comparison to the 006/007 fight. Also Renard lost some of his menace when he turned out to be just another of Electra's conquests.

The end sequence on the submarine - again lacked excitement. Not a match for the finale in GE in 006's lair.

Denise Richards - what can you say that hasn't already been said. Put her and Tanya Roberts together and their combined IQ wouldn't reach room temperature.

I love TWINE but GE will always have the edge.
    edited October 2007
    Mailfist wrote:
    Denise Richards - what can you say that hasn't already been said. Put her and Tanya Roberts together and their combined IQ wouldn't reach room temperature.
    Yes, but Richards was good looking. :)) I don't mind Richards, partly because after Wai Lin any Bond girl would have been heaven for me, but also because unlike several other Bond girls, Richards didn't annoy me. I don't love her but nor do I hate her by any means.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    IMO, Goldeneye is much better than all of Brosnan's other films . -{
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    jboy wrote:

I'm going to echo these comments, alongside actonsteve.

In my opinion, I dont deem any of the Brosnan era to be great. GoldenEye is deemed great by many fans, but I dont see it. Additionally almost 2 out of 3 people dislike TND and TWINE - even more hate DAD.