Goldeneye clarification

Red Grant's expertise is most needed here. Maybe I am just missing a plot point...

But where does Alec turn? Is the shot from Ourumov in the chemical weapons facility a failed attempt to kill him, or has he already joined forces with him by this time? Being that it's 9 years in advance, it seems very well planned. But then it also seems odd that Bond doesn't care to notice that Alec's face hasn't been blown off on the floor.

Ourumov clearly isn't using blanks, as he kills one of his own men with the same gun, so is he the world's worst shot?

-{ Td

Comments

• Karl StrombergKarl Stromberg Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I always assumed that Trevelyan turned before the encounter with Ourumov at the chemical weapons facility and that Bond seeing Alec being killed was part of the plan so that Alec could dissapear and build up the Janus organisation.

This is why Bond doesn't see Ourumov capture Trevelyan, because Trevelyan effectively gives himself up to Ourumov whilst Bond is planting the mines. I seem to think that Ourumov's first shot from his gun is used to "kill" Trevelyan so that first bullet could have been the only blank in the gun.

Obviously, Ourumov and his men try to kill Bond which then begs the question, why stage Alec's death in the first place if Bond won't live to see it. I think this can be explained that Alec know's Bond's talents and knows he would be more than likely to escape which would make staging Alec's death necessary.

As for Bond not noticing that Alec's face hasn't been blown off, my memory may not be right but at the point that Ourumov shoots Alec, doesn't Bond run back behind the gas tanks - I think Bond only sees Alec on the floor for a second, and Alec's head is turned away from him so he would have only had the image of Alec being shot in his head. He doesn't look at Alec again since he has his own problems to worry about.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    I agree with Karl, the first bullet was a blank, it was all planned and Alec was in on it from the beginning. Bond turns his head away as soon as Alec is shot then goes to rest the timer he doiesn't really see him up close.

As to why they tried to kill Bond, well he'd have been suspicious if they hadn't, and this way he lives and reports back Alec's death. Or if they're "successful" and kill Bond well that works for them too, they eliminate a later threat. They didn't expect the timer to go off 3 minutes early, which is why Trevelyn was scarred. If he wasn't in on it and just happenned to survive Orumov's bullet he would have understood about the timer. I think it's also evident later on Orumov was working for Alec not the other way around. Interestingly it's shown early on that Orumov has no compunction in shooting his own men or allowing the death of Russian soldiers in this elaborate scam, and that's echoed later in Severnaya.

And in the terrific statue graveyard scene Alec tells Bond that he thought about asking him to join him but knew than Bond's loyalty was always to the service, and I've always thought he was talking about before and not just then and there in that scene.

MBE
  • Trench diggerTrench digger Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    I assumed that they were together all along. But a plan 9 years in the making? This sort of realism isn't very characteristic of the Bond films. I thought underground volcano lairs just appeared overnight. Goldeneye seems to state that worldwide domination/destruction plans may take a little longer to work out. Go figure...

-{ Td
  • JimmyJimmy Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Lets not forget that In the main body of the film Alec is the head of the Janus crime syndicate. While its not really exlpained in great detail, we can surmise that this is some kind of Russian Mafia. It would take a long time to put an orginization together thats as big as the Janus crime syndicate is. So I'm betting thats what Alec and Ouromov were doing for those nine years.

It might make an interesting movie eh?
  • Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    edited November 2002
    well here is my take on it. Somehow, through intelligence, 006 found out about the "rumor" of the GoldenEye satilte. The same rumor that M hints to in the film. 006 then, either on his will or on a mission, makes contact with Orumouv, and perhaps 006 taken prisoner by him. And to spare 006's life, while making a boat load of money, along with getting his revenge, they come up with the whole GoldenEye plot. Oruoumov agrees, and they go ahead with the Arckangel mission, and 006 is "killed." This would explain the ease of 006 and 007's invasion of Arckangel (pointed out by Bond in the film). After the mission, 006 recovers from his injuries, this gives Oroumov time to get into a position to steal the GoldenEye (becoming a general, and head of the space divison). And when the technology is present, and Oroumov is in position, they make their move.

Thats my take on it.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    006 would have got the information about the Goldeneye from A view to a kill. In the scene with Q, M, Minister of Defence and Bond at MI6, Bond and M tell the minister how a nuclear pulse could...lead to GoldenEye. This was only ONE year before the first scenes of GoldenEye. Funny that, isn't it?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    Well, it makes for interesting reading but I've got to say that GoldenEye is another pre-credits that sums up the pros and cons of the film that follows. It's memorable, visceral but just doesn't make much sense.

I mean, notice how none of the characters have aged in the 9 years after the pre-credits. That's just one point, but there are other GoldenEye spoilers: no sign of a snowflake in the establishing shot, but when 007 escapes to run down the runway, he's in snow and ice land.

That Ourmov should lure Bond out - and that Bond should actually begin to go along with it, knowing he'd surely only be shot as well. And that once he's nearly got Bond out, he goes and "shoots" 006 anyway for being a bit lippy. Or that Bond can leap back behind the cannisters without being shot by Russia's worst marksmen. None of it really makes much sense even before you get to the main plot of the film.

That said this, along with The Living Daylights, is the pre-credits I watch on video if I'm not up for an entire movie.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I believe Alec knew all along and Ouromov fired a blank
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    I hear ya, Napoleon. I watched Goldeneye for the first time in a while tonight and lots of plot holes and general silliness leapt out at me.

For instance, why did Bond bungee off a dam, laser through a wall, apparently climb all the way back *up* to the plant which was at the top of the plateau... meet 006, crawl through some ventilation ducts, hack a door with a gizmo, set off the alarm...

...when he could've just crawled in the conveyor belt line that conveniently heads right outside from the gas room (the one he escapes on)? :))
  • Goldeneye Master1Goldeneye Master1 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Well, been quite a while now, but if anyone wants to read it...
    I think this was planned between Oromuv(ugh, sp.) and 006. A blank, and the rest real bullets. While some people think, on this thread, "A plan 9 years in the making...", remember that Janus was around for quite a while.
    M "And the Janus group?"
    Bond: "They might have been involved."
    Shows Janus has been around longer than 9 years later. Orumov, he was the colonel, and obviously knew about the GoldenEye, but I am not sure how 006 would have known. It is possible it was a plan after.
    So, planned all along. That's the way I see it.
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    All excellent points. For me, however, the corker is when Bond catches up to the falling plane. Everything else is stark realism by comparison.
  • SIS7777SIS7777 Lots of different placesPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Been a while since i watched Goldeneye, have to break it out again now. But just a few thoughts I've had reading this. First, Its obvious to me that 006 has already set in motion his defection/faked death. No other reason for a '00' to allow themselves to be captured that easily. Also its obvious that the russian military has been working on the Goldeneye already, and possibly that Trevelyan gets the idea to join up with the guy who has access to the original in order to build another Goldeneye. Finally, its not very probable that the gun Ourumov shoots 006 with is loaded with a blank then regular rounds. A blank round can't create the back pressure necessary to cycle a blowback opperated pistol. Which Ourumov's Makarov is. I just think that the shot didn't kill 006, as it was never meant to.
  • stjimmy456stjimmy456 Manchester, EnglandPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    First post ! And about one of my favourite scenes in my favourite Bond movie, fitting.

I really expect that the scriptwriters didn't anticipate such an investigation into this tiny aspect of the movie, which is a good thing in my opinion as it lets us come up with our own ideas !

Personally, I think the Archangel mission went as follows. Trevelyan had told Ourumov beforehand everything that he would have been briefed by MI6, and so Ourumov could keep the security lax for 006 and 007 to make it with ease to the main gas container room.

Then Alec purposesly tricks the alarm, waits while Bond is busy behind the gas tanks and surrenders to Ourumov.

All to make it look like a genuine capture; I guess Alec figured if Bond was to surrender himself, then he might invite him along with his caper - as he doesn't, I think at that point Alec concedes that he will never be able to tear Bond away from serving his country.

Ourumov fires a blank at Alec and he plays dead until Bond clears off.

I notice the conveyor belt being ridiculed as an easy entrance to the mission - but maybe it was there as an easy escape for Bond, to make sure he got away. After all if Bond died and no corpse of Trevelyan surfaced, MI6 might wonder if he died at all.

And so Alec and Ourumov were probably busy toasting shots of vodka as the whole place ignited three minutes early, which left Alec with a nasty scar later on.

Case closed !?