What if George Lazenby returned for DAF?

I have this question for you... As many of you know, George Lazenby didn't want to continue to be Bond, because he thought he would outdated. Nowadays, he wished he had done at least one more. And I wonder: If Lazneby returned, and Diamonds Are Forever was to be made, and was intended to be a true revenge story, follow-up to OHMSS, how do you think it would be done?

I think that it would darker, Bond would be a renegade like in LTK, Draco would at first be against him, but would realize that it was not his fault and help him, and Savalas would also return as Blofeld. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kid might've stayed, but Irman Bunt could return as well, perhaps as their leader. Peter Hunt would direct the film, and Shirley Bassey would direct the song.

In any ways, do you believe that we could have the ultimate revenge story in which Bond is at his maddest, and be treated as a true follow-up? I think there could be some chances had he stayed.

What do you think?

Comments

• jjmacjjmac Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    It would never have happened. UA would not accept him.

Having said that, i think if he did - at least the PTS (which would have been good in any other circumstance) would have been serious and gritty - revenge for the death of his wife.
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    As I have said previously there was a concerted attempt to make DAF less serious and wittier. This was nothing to do with Lazenby's departure from the series.

Anyway as has been stated, it would never have happened.
  • shakhtyorshakhtyor Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I think that if Lazenby returned in DAF (even without changing) the plot he probably could get some more credit.

I know Lazenby is not such a good actor, but I have to admit that OHMSS was a difficult movie for his debut. The audience was used to Sean Connery, a cold James Bond and a victorious ending. In OHMSS Bond marries and his wife gets killed. Moreover, people saw (some still see) Connery as the one real James Bond.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    I think that if Lazenby had done DAF, the film's overall plot wouldn't have changed too much, but the humourous aspects of the film would have been toned down a bit.

But, also if he did do it, we may not have had the series as it is today. Roger Moore may have never played James Bond, which in turn would never lead to Brosnan. I like the way that they made the films, but it would have been quite interesting to see DAF as a revenge movie. But, that would have changed the whole series after.
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    I think Lazenby would return for this one, and then leave, with Roger Moore assuming the role. Connery wouldn't agree to come back if Lazenby left after DAF. Roger would come to the scene, and play it like he used to play so the movie wouldn't be that much different - except for FYEO, where Blofeld might've been killed differently -better to say.. Still, in DAF, Bond would eliminate SPECTRE the same way he did in LTK by eliminating Sanchez's team. From down to the up. And Savalas could've returned, and a climactic battle between them could happen. Not the end would depend on the producers. Either Bond would kill Blofeld once and for all, or Blofeld would escape. Probably the second one, but Bond would feel satisfied that he at least killed the woman who basicly shot her - Irman Bent. Bond, would promise to his friend Felix and Draco, that one day Blofeld will pay.

Of course it could be as you suggested, the series might not have been as it is today, but all I want to point out is that a revenge story should've been made with DAF. Not the rubbish that came to be. Any way, thats my opinion.
  • VL5 AgentVL5 Agent Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    He should of done at least 2 movies, but he bailed out, so that's it.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    DAF probably wouldn't exist. The whole plot would be different, and like you said, Jimmy, it would be more LTK-like. I'm very sure that Lazenby would've improved his acting skills (he's one of the best "newbies" I've ever seen, and he did a great job considering he had an extremely difficult debut movie), and I'd like to see Blofeld, Irma Bunt, and Draco come back again. M would probably not be too happy, and possibly revoke his license? I'm not so sure about that. I doubt that Mr. Wint and Mr. Kid would even appear at all. Interesting idea, Jimmy.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • ImperatorImperator Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    DAF was not a very good film and Sean Connery was the best of it. So, with Lazenby, I just wouldn't know. The end of James Bond in the cinema? The begining of a new Bond? No Roger, no Timothy, no Pierce? No DAD? I don't know. I'm happy with the way it was.
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    Here's my two cents:

This movie, would've been made on the wake of OHMSS. They would continue to try and show that Laznby was the new Bond. Besides he did have a contract for 7 consecutive movies. However, the film would possibly fail to bring tickets again, despite being a true to Fleming's character and everything, for the simple reason Connery wouldn't be on it. This film would've been a proper revenge story, probably directed by Peter Hunt again, and Savalas as Blofeld again. The MI6 however would not take his license to kill away. M personally would understand his position, and give his vacation. Q might have possibly helped him, and the plot might've been similar to the movie's one, but the film would be revenge-driven.

But as I said, the film would fail for the fact they could not understand the new Bond, vengefull and everything. And considering that, the next one would be lighter, more tongue-on-cheek and action driven, with more humor and everything. In other words, bring in Roger Moore and Live and Let Die.

But who knows how would it be? Sure, I like the Bond series on a whole, especially since Dalton took over and the series keeps becoming better and better.. However, I feel that because OHMSS was a box office failure, we were taken a fine chance to see a good and true revenge story with Bond pursuing Blofeld to death. In DAF, he doesn't care. In fact, I consider DAF was a prequel to OHMSS, so we never had a proper revenge story. And that I thing is the franchises biggest and most stupid flaw: The lack of a true resolving plot!
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    It's fun to speculate, but who knows what would happen to the series after the rerelease of DAF? It's like thinking about Dalton debuting in FYEO. We'll never really know, and I'll leave it at that for now.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Quoting Tracy:It's fun to speculate, but who knows what would happen to the series after the rerelease of DAF? It's like thinking about Dalton debuting in FYEO. We'll never really know, and I'll leave it at that for now.

Here, here!
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    I think Lazenby would return for this one, and then leave, with Roger Moore assuming the role. Connery wouldn't agree to come back if Lazenby left after DAF. Roger would come to the scene, and play it like he used to play so the movie wouldn't be that much different - except for FYEO, where Blofeld might've been killed differently -better to say.. Still, in DAF, Bond would eliminate SPECTRE the same way he did in LTK by eliminating Sanchez's team. From down to the up. And Savalas could've returned, and a climactic battle between them could happen. Not the end would depend on the producers. Either Bond would kill Blofeld once and for all, or Blofeld would escape. Probably the second one, but Bond would feel satisfied that he at least killed the woman who basicly shot her - Irman Bent. Bond, would promise to his friend Felix and Draco, that one day Blofeld will pay.

Of course it could be as you suggested, the series might not have been as it is today, but all I want to point out is that a revenge story should've been made with DAF. Not the rubbish that came to be. Any way, thats my opinion.
    I think Draco would want revenge too as it was his daughter who was killed so both would seek revenge on Blofeld and Irma bunt
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    :o Tobias, how in the name of all that's holy did you come to dig this thread up again?! :)) It's five years old! Barack Obama was unknown when this topic began!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    hi i decided to have a look at some of the old threads and they are very interesting i started at 100 and worked my way back