Literary Bond & Prostitution

RisicoRisico Posts: 5MI6 Agent
In YOLT, Bond goes to the 'House of Delight' and gets an 'enthusiastic' prostitute with Dikko Henderson. Before reading this book, I wouldn't think that JB was the type of guy who would pay for sex. He certainly can get enough without paying for it and it doesn't seem like his style. Maybe because it is/was a part of the Japanese culture he just goes with the flow. What does everybody think?

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    edited March 2003
    certainly in Fleming's day the upper classes did visit Geisha houses, and didn't think much of it. Also Geisha's are a little bit more cultured than your average prostitute.(not that I've ever experienced any.) Like many Japanese customs there is a certain amount of ceremony involved. Plus Geisha's did not always supply sex, it may be singing and music while dining, etc. Their trade is more about entertainment that can lead to other things. ;)
  • JLMuenchJLMuench Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    I believe Bond also lost his virginity to a prostitute at age 16 in France, and he deaply regrets this...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Certainly Bond visiting a geisha (who don't always provide that particular service) is far classier than his getting a lap dance in Benson's High Time to Kill. To my mind, this is Bond's sexual nadir.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TGO_TGO_ Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:Certainly Bond visiting a geisha (who don't always provide that particular service) is far classier than his getting a lap dance in Benson's High Time to Kill. To my mind, this is Bond's sexual nadir.

The more I hear about Benson, the more I think he hasn't read ANY Fleming. Or maybe, he is just out of touch with Bond's personal intricacies.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited March 2003
    The lap dance was the nadit but frankly I found Benson's Bond pairing with the barely post teenage bratty prostitute/gangster geisha/whatever in TMWTRT more stomach churning, athough thankfully not as graphic. I was so hoping at the end of the book he'd tell her to put her clothes on and he'd buy her an ice cream. :))

MBE
  • LukeLuke USAPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Wasn't the "house of delight" an unused sort of museum dedicated to the history of "it"? Thats the impression i got from the book.
    It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
  • RisicoRisico Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Quoting Luke:Wasn't the "house of delight" an unused sort of museum dedicated to the history of "it"? Thats the impression i got from the book.

Bond goes to a 'house of delight' with Dikko after drinking all night int he beginning of the novel. Later in the novel, Tiger takes him to an old brothel that samurais used to go to that is now an unused sort of museum. So, we're talking about two different places.
  • Kara MilovyKara Milovy Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    A geisha never has sex with her client. There are Japanese prostitutes, of course, but geishas delight men with their companionship. At one point in YOLT, Bond feels exasperated with all this delightful companionship, and wishes he were back in the *****house, enjoying the basics.

Bond is not above using a prostitute. He didn't regret the incident with the prostitue when he was 16 for the sex, but because she stole something -- his camera? his wallet? Bond has very high standards for a woman's appearance, and an ordinary streetwalker would be beneath him and would certainly disappoint him, but he from time to time will express his disgust at the seduction process. He was irritated that Ruby wanted him to say he loved her -- why can't just the lust be enough? He often prefers sex to be frank and honest and about nothing but the physical, and so a prostitute, if she was attractive and clean enough, would be a way of getting that.
  • njkinzelnjkinzel Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Where is everyone getting the idea that the "House of Total Delight" necessarily harbors only geishas or geishas at all? A place with that sort of title, in spite of what Tiger said about prostitution being illegal in Japan, YOLT, ch 11, doesn't sound like it would be all that refined. Also, one must not forget Goldfinger, ch1. In that part Bond, once again displaying his idiotic depression over killing an evil person-a Mexican assassin, considers getting "stinking drunk so that he would have to be carried to bed by whatever tart he had picked up."
    [Now, if one wants to get cynical one could say that the HTD was strictly a top class geisha establishment which, in the first chapter, Bond gives the impression would not offer sex for $, and maybe the statement in Goldfinger was simply a result of depression & drink and he actually had no intention of following it up. However, one can say that that 2nd passage infers that he's had experience] There's also the bit in Dr. No where, when they discuss Honeychile's dream job (becoming a call-girl), Bond confesses that "It's quite a long time since [he's] had one." That also seems like he has had at least some experience with the business.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    In this list of Bond and ladies of the night, remember that he also turns to prostitutes after Tracy dies in YOLT, in the hope that sex will restore him to his previous self.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Quoting jetsetwilly:
    In this list of Bond and ladies of the night, remember that he also turns to prostitutes after Tracy dies in YOLT, in the hope that sex will restore him to his previous self.

True that, Jetset, but at least Fleming's Bond doesn't fall in love with prostitutes, as he does in Benson!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    edited June 2003
    Quoting Kara Milovy:
    A geisha never has sex with her client
    wrong.

To answer other questions about Bond and prostitution, the short story The Living Daylights states that Bond is split between visiting a *****house and a museum or something, and the museum (or whatever) wins.

No question, Bond pays for sex. Read the books, it helps in a literary forum.

[edit]This forum censors W H O R E ???????!!!!!!![/edit]
    'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
    The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast
  • Cmdr_EgorunamuckCmdr_Egorunamuck Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    Why, yes, of course Bond was "entertaining" in that long, dark night with Tiger. It was part of the job, obtaining Magic 44, for Queen and Country (the question is, did he enjoy it?!)

Now, I'm not sure about what Benson book is being referred to; is it Zero Minus Ten? If he fell in love with the 'prostitute' well, really, the Flemingnesque puritantanical streak is rearing its blushing head. There must be plenty of real life cases where there was a prostitute with the heart of gold. IMO Bond would not be beneath having human affection for such a girl. He takes people as they are, with all their blemishes, this is one of his endearing qualities. On another thread discusing Fleming's LALD, 007 (and his alter ego Fleming) was not a racist, either. He had great affection for Quarrel; and the film paid homage to this with Quarrel's death. While not a great fan of Benson's novels, I concur that Bond wouldn't consider a prostitute beneath him. In fact, he seemed to be attracted to women with flaws, the "bird with the wing down."

All cats are grey?
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    In 'Thrilling Cities' Fleming is always interested in the seedier parts of town and in places where men seek sexual services. He doesn't admit to paying for such services himself when abroad but it's clear where his journalistic antennae lead him.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    While not a great fan of Benson's novels, I concur that Bond wouldn't consider a prostitute beneath him.

Why, does he prefer them to go on top? :))
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017