Should The Old Films Be Re-Made?

13»

Comments

• filmmakeracffilmmakeracf Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    The answer is simple. No way.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If they had remade DR. NO and GOLDFINGER, I wouldn't care.
    Actually, they did remake Goldfinger. It's called A View To A Kill. :D (Sorry JFF. ;))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    hehe :D nice
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If they had remade DR. NO and GOLDFINGER, I wouldn't care.
    Actually, they did remake Goldfinger. It's called A View To A Kill. :D (Sorry JFF. ;))

If that's true, "A View to a Kill" was an improvement over the original "Goldfinger".

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!
    theres no doubt its a good movie mate!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    edited November 2006
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If that's true, "A View to a Kill" was an improvement over the original "Goldfinger".
    And AVTAK doesn't have plotholes? :D When Zorin kills the crime bosses, doesn't he tell them his plans beforehand? :p
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    yea but no {[]

"Better make that two."
    yea but no {[]
    So, Zorin did inform the crime bosses of his plan, yet unlike in GF, it wasn't a plothole? :D
  • IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
    I don't think the old films should be remade, because they are classics. They are also products of the era they were made in, and I doubt they would go down well with general audiences.

However, I like the idea of the novels being remade into films, and I would hope they would be a lot closer adaptions. Since a lot of the classic films differ completely from the original novel, it would be like having all new films, just with the same name as film's we've seen before.
    1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. OP 5. FYEO 6. TLD 7. FRwL
    8. TSWLM 9. TMwtGG 10. AVtaK 11. SF 12. TND 13. LtK 14. NTtD
    15. MR 16. LaLD 17. YOLT 18. GF 19. DN 20. SP 21. TWiNE
    22. TB 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF
  • JCSuperstarJCSuperstar Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    How do you all think that Sean, Rog, George, and Timmy would feel about this monstrosity of an idea would be. For those of us who grew up and loved Connery Bond, I think it is appolling to remake state of the art films of that era. People remade Hamlet because the first one sucked, they didn't remake it because it won an Emmy! They should never touch those films except to remaster them.

Thus sayeth the Superstar!
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    IT WOULD BE THE APOCALYPSE!!!
    Hope that helps.
  • down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    The Answer is NO-{
  • HoneyRyder'sGirlfriendHoneyRyder'sGirlfriend Dolphin Country, USAPosts: 17MI6 Agent
    NO, not just no! HELL NO! Enough of this remake bullshit! The Connery and Moore classics must remain untouched!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Absolutely not!!!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    Ridiculous proposition.Nuff said.
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • Sir_Miles_MesservySir_Miles_Messervy MI6 CLASSIFIEDPosts: 113MI6 Agent
    Perhaps there is a time to remake a film: When those involved took an existing masterpiece in literary form and completely butchered it whilst making the transformation to film. Then one can say, "Hey, that should have been simply gold. How did they goof up so severely?" What we're talking about there is a mishandling and a missed opportunity. See Sherlock Holmes in December if you need a concrete example.

Now, what we're looking at in redoing the Bond movies is completely different. This is a matter of taking works that are classic in their own right and redoing them for the sake of...well...money. The revisioning from book to film has been done, and it worked. The movie was doubtlessly successful, and there is certainly some baby boomer out there that fondly remembers his first experience with Bond at the theater. Maybe it was a night out with his (or her) now deceased father, or the first time he (or she) went to the cinema with just a sibling. Talk to that same boomer today and see the eye twinkle as he (or she) recounts seeing Sean Connery on the big screen. Listen as they claim whatever movie they happened to see to be the best Bond film of all time. And, if you're younger, like I am, be a bit jealous that you couldn't have been there.

It doesn't even matter if the remake turned out to be "better" in a critical sense. The magic that was there surrounding the specific movie's release in the 1960s or the 1970s is simply gone. That magic comes with the particular film and leaves with it. It's the same reason I refuse support a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie or cartoon. It was a magic whirlwind of marketing when I was a kid, and that magic faded. No 10 year-old today feels the love for the Turtles that all 10 year-olds felt when I was that age.

Oh and if you remake a Connery film with some hot shot young actor, well there will be riots. Everyone from me to my grandma would be out there in protest.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I don't think they should remake the films, simply try to get formula right. There are perfect films, oscar-winning films. However, there has never been a perfect Bond film. There is always one little bit of every Bond film which ruins it for almost everyone. Whether it's effects, plot, dialogue, music, actors, lame product placement - there is always a rubbish bit. We love Bond films, it's why we're all on this site. But I think they should just leave what's done as done. Part of every new Bond film is the anticipation that it just might be the best yet...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    Oh, I can see them remaking them. Mickey and Babs ran out of ideas years ago, you can see them thinking, well, this will bring more media attention for a few years, keep the wolf from the door. Spin it as not a remake but an 'upgrade' or like steampunk or something. Not saying I'd want it mind, but I think those two would do anything to eke it out. Say in 15 years or so.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017