MOST OVERRATED BOND FILM

Comments

• Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    Well, at least we both like FRWL the same ;).
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Well, that is still good!
  • cosmo_kramercosmo_kramer Duluth, MinnesotaPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    IMO, the most overrated film is OHMSS, (mostly) everybody acts like they struck gold with this picture, that Lazenby could have been the best, but overall I thought the movie was a little too 'out there' for a 007 film. I have heard that it is one of the only films to stay so close to the book, and that's why some people like it so much, but I haven't read the novel to justify that. I thought Lazenby was someone who couldn't portray Bond (or an Englishman) very well, and I am glad he quit after one. Although the movie isn't all the way at the bottom for me, I still thought it was disappointing the first time I watched it, as was FRWL, TB, and LTK, but those movies eventually sprouted to the top of my list. So unless OHMSS is a late bloomer, I'm not going to enjoy it that much any time soon.
    edited May 2006
    OHMSS, is a great movie and is not overated by ANY standards. I consider Lazenby not perfect, but the movie stuck very good to the book, which is my favoirte bond book.

You said you have not read the book, you should!
  • BondmoviesBondmovies Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    GF-is overrated to me, alittle to slow
    of a movie where Bond is a prisoner
    for half the movie and not really doing
    anything

TB-a little slow too, in the underwater
    parts
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    Bondmovies wrote:
    GF-is overrated to me, alittle to slow
    of a movie where Bond is a prisoner
    for half the movie and not really doing
    anything

TB-a little slow too, in the underwater
    parts
    GF? :o TB? :o
    I am absolutely shocked! Am I really the only person who thinks that, if anything, GF and TB are underrated? :(
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Quite frankly, GF IS the most overrated Bond film. But the thing is, it has a good reason for it. It is, to date, THE most entertaining Bond film of all time. Period.

Within the Bond cycle, TB is pretty much overrated. Thing is, I don't think its as good as they say it is. It is overlong, slow and pondering - with no real ending.

Frankly, I prefered the novel (and NSNA :)) over it. Very good Bond film, but not that great!
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Quite frankly, GF IS the most overrated Bond film. But the thing is, it has a good reason for it. It is, to date, THE most entertaining Bond film of all time. Period.
    It's my favourite Bond film and I would describe it as absolutely perfect and completely flawless. That said, I honestly don't see how it can be described as overrated, as every time I watch it, I am given fresh evidence for why I consider to be such a brilliant film.
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Within the Bond cycle, TB is pretty much overrated. Thing is, I don't think its as good as they say it is. It is overlong, slow and pondering - with no real ending.
    I don't agree. I think that TB is probably underrated (rather than overrated) because of all the early 60's films, TB is the one that gets criticised (unjustly IMO) the most.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    "Goldeneye," followed closely by "The World is Not Enough."
    How is TWINE overrated? I'd say its quite underrated, actually...
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Don't kill me Cat...but I have to go with Goldfinger.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    How is TWINE overrated? I'd say its quite underrated, actually...
    Where does one begin?

A villain is introduced who, in addition to dying, apparently cannot feel pain, a notion that is neither developed nor exploited to its natural end. Instead, we get a rather conventional fistfight. What could have been the Terminator turns out instead to be a pretty ordinary and rather dopey thug. (And they wasted the talent of Robert Carlyle, who usually brings some depth to the thugs he plays.) The chick in the boat would rather die than have to fail him, we're told . . . yet, he never seemed all that threatening in the first place, which makes her seem rather dopey, too. From what I can tell, his "scariest" methods are to shoot people from across the street and poison sailors' sandwiches.

Bond is apparently wounded early in the film, an idea that, again, could be developed into an integral part of the plot. Instead, he has a sling for a short period, and then nothing ever comes of it again. Oh, he gets to nail the physician because of the injury. As with the Carlyle villain, the idea is raised but never developed in any meaningful way -- the script seems to think that simply mentioning things is the same thing as actually dramatizing them.

We're supposed to believe that Bond falls hard for the villainess, yet that relationship is only superficially explored -- there are no sparks to the romance, no edge to the dialogue, no charm to their moments together. If she didn't have dark hair like Tracy Bond, and if there wasn't a skiing scene that looks lifted from "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," I don't think I would have bought any of it. I kept waiting to fall in love with her like Bond supposedly does, but I didn't even like her all that much. In fact, other than being told that she has such power over men, I never understood why or actually felt any of it.

Denise Richards.

The PTS is better than the rest of the film, even with the editing glitch with the torpedos. But the campy tie adjusting moment and water splash of the meter maids harkens back to the 80s Moore films, which I thought, or, perhaps, hoped the Brosnan Bonds were trying to distance themselves from. Watching the Z8 get carved up felt a bit out of place, too.

John Cleese just seemed an ass, and I never, ever bought the idea that Q said something as cheesy to Bond as, snicker, "Never let them see you bleed." In all the years that Q has been in Bond films, nothing remotely like that cartoonish, crappy line ever seeped from his lips, thank goodness. And I still don't know why we needed to see a 3D image of Carlyle's head just to tell us he's got a bullet stuck in there somewhere that will kill him. Thank goodness he didn't get shot in the groin.

I found the pacing of the film uneven, the music at times uninspired (a disappointment after the rather solid soundtrack of "Tomorrow Never Dies.") -- especially that awful title song by Garbage, and the action sequences beyond the PTS lethargic, though the parahawk scene marginally saved itself by having the bad guys use a spare chute.

Were there things I liked? Of course -- even the worst Bond film (and this one wasn't) has things to enjoy. I actually liked the "I never miss" line, Brosnan's performance in the PTS was on target, as was Bond's escape from several stories up, Zuchovsky's dying decision to shoot Bond's shackle (I could never tell if that was on purpose or if he was trying to shoot Bond) was inspired, M going into the field was hokey (what was she going to do, audit their books? Serve a writ?) but it gave Judi Dench more to do, and Brosnan had better duds than he got to wear in "Goldeneye."

I'd rank "The World is Not Enough" in the middle third of all Bond films, behind all of the Connery ones and a smattering of others, including "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," For Your Eyes Only," "The Living Daylights," and "Tomorrow Never Dies."
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    John Cleese just seemed an ass, and I never, ever bought the idea that Q said something as cheesy to Bond as, snicker, "Never let them see you bleed." In all the years that Q has been in Bond films, nothing remotely like that cartoonish, crappy line ever seeped from his lips, thank goodness.

Not exactly on topic I know, so apologies, but I could never understand why they introduced John Cleese the way they did. It was totally idiotic and just made him look ridiculous. My heart sank when I saw that scene as I didn't think he could possibly follow Desmond. Cleese is an excellent comic and actor so why was that nonsense necessary ? Thankfully, his turn in DAD was a lot more understated and one of the highlights of the film for me.

The whole Q scene in TWINE was awful. That line was dreadful.

Cleese and the tie straightening scene were straight from a Moore film and after DAD we were defiantly heading back in that direction. Fortunately the producers have nipped that in the bud.

Back on topic ....

Thunderball. Not my favourite. Has some great scenes but it is a little labourious at times. Overrated IMO.
  • Royale KingRoyale King Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    i quite liked thunderball :p but i think that yolt was very over rated :)
    I think TWINE is not overated at all, I consider it like FRWL, PERFECTLY RATED! :D

That may be because TWINE is my favorite Brosnan film.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    In my own personal opinion, it is Goldfinger. It is a great film, and I love the PTS to death, but I think after the PTS, it comes off as vain and shallow at times. The Fort Knox gassing scene was just flat out laughable. It is a great film, but I would by no means say it is the best as so many do.

I'm also not a big fan of TSWLM. The movie is just excessively silly at times, especially the relationship between Bond and XXX. The fact that it was another copied plot (madman captures Russian and US vessels, intends to destroy the world: gee, we couldn't have possibly seen this in, say, YOLT, could we?) works against it, as well.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    John Cleese just seemed an ass, and I never, ever bought the idea that Q said something as cheesy to Bond as, snicker, "Never let them see you bleed." In all the years that Q has been in Bond films, nothing remotely like that cartoonish, crappy line ever seeped from his lips, thank goodness.

Not exactly on topic I know, so apologies, but I could never understand why they introduced John Cleese the way they did. It was totally idiotic and just made him look ridiculous. My heart sank when I saw that scene as I didn't think he could possibly follow Desmond. Cleese is an excellent comic and actor so why was that nonsense necessary ? Thankfully, his turn in DAD was a lot more understated and one of the highlights of the film for me.

Cleese and the tie straightening scene were straight from a Moore film and after DAD we were defiantly heading back in that direction. Fortunately the producers have nipped that in the bud.

Back on topic ....

Thunderball. Not my favourite. Has some great scenes but it is a little labourious at times. Overrated IMO.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you stated, so my apologies if I do, but I love the Q scene in TWINE. I think the way in which Desmond is retired is moving and heartfelt. I thought Brosnan delivered his line with just the right amount of caring without sounding mushy. The lift taking Desmond off camera to the lower level was also a great idea. If you are referring to Cleese's scene in TWINE I would agree the humor was poorly done.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Back on topic ....

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you stated, so my apologies if I do, but I love the Q scene in TWINE. I think the way in which Desmond is retired is moving and heartfelt. I thought Brosnan delivered his line with just the right amount of caring without sounding mushy. The lift taking Desmond off camera to the lower level was also a great idea. If you are referring to Cleese's scene in TWINE I would agree the humor was poorly done.

Yeah, I don't have a problem at all with the Q scene in TWINE. However, Cleese was definitely poorly introduced, although personally, I would rather see someone other than him be Q.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,735MI6 Agent
    In my own personal opinion, it is Goldfinger. It is a great film, and I love the PTS to death, but I think after the PTS, it comes off as vain and shallow at times. The Fort Knox gassing scene was just flat out laughable. It is a great film, but I would by no means say it is the best as so many do.

It's an absolute classic but it's not perfect. The whole film practically stops as soon as Bond sets foot in the US. Likewise Thunderball moves at a snail's pace.
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a little overrated in the character stakes- it's the film Bond should be falling in love and we don't see it happen! All we get is a cop-out montage in which we're told the couple suddenly start loving each other and get engaged- very poor, to be honest. Might as well have a caption card come up saying 'three months later they had totally changed their minds about each and started planning their wedding'. Not very satisfying. The rest is cracking, though.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Underrated :

AVTAK
    LALD
    OHMSS
    TLD
    LTK
    FYEO
    OP
    DN
    MR (has flaws yes but still I find it entertaining)
    YOLT
    DAF (playful & not a dead serious tone , not afraid of pulling legs....some good lines)

Overrated :

FRWL (a bit slow paced some times)
    GF (it's great but is it the best ?)
    TSWLM
    edited June 2006
    Lady Rose wrote:

Back on topic ....

Yeah, I don't have a problem at all with the Q scene in TWINE. However, Cleese was definitely poorly introduced, although personally, I would rather see someone other than him be Q.
    Actually I loved that scene. Not just because of Desmond and all, I thought it was an excellent end to Q, I really, really loved how Cleese is an ass. A python-esque Fawlty, and being a Monty Python fan, I really liked how he mocked himself. Cleese is a comic genius, he's hilarious whatever he does!
    i quite liked thunderball :p but i think that yolt was very over rated :)

I like YOLT. I would like to understand why you don't like it as I see nothing wrong with it.
    YOLT is a good movie. (maybe I am bias because I have been to Japan and I like it!)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    If you are referring to Cleese's scene in TWINE I would agree the humor was poorly done.

Yes, that is what I was primarily objecting to. Desmond was great as usual but the whole thing with Cleese was too silly for me and just made him look incompetent. DAD was much better for Cleese.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    If you are referring to Cleese's scene in TWINE I would agree the humor was poorly done.

Yes, that is what I was primarily objecting to. Desmond was great as usual but the whole thing with Cleese was too silly for me and just made him look incompetent. DAD was much better for Cleese.

good point. I agree. DAD was a far better performance by Cleese. In TWINE he was just a bumbling idiot. He was not fit to take Q's position...
    edited June 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    It's an absolute classic but it's not perfect. The whole film practically stops as soon as Bond sets foot in the US.
    Since Bond goes to the US, he seduces Pussy, has that fantastic escape from the cell and in what is arguably among the best scenes in the series, has a conversation with Goldfinger regarding the scheme. There is also the killing of Solo ("As you said, a pressing engagement."), and of course there is the climax which includes the fight with Oddjob, the deactivation of the bomb, the killing of Goldfinger and the final embrace with Pussy. I don't see how you can say that the film practically stops once Bond reaches the US. ;)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    For me, the two most overrated films in the Bond series are Dr. No and You Only Live Twice.
    I think people rate them just because Sean Connery is the actor playing Bond. YOLT is my least favourite Bond film, and DN is in the lower ranks IMO. Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy both films, but the competition is a bit stiff. I love all the Bond films, but these two, particularly YOLT seem a it week to me. DN is excusable since it was the first and they didn't know where the series was going. With YOLT, the cinematrography is great (Freddie Young is great) but the hollow volcano is ridiculous IMO.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    It's an absolute classic but it's not perfect. The whole film practically stops as soon as Bond sets foot in the US.
    Since Bond goes to the US, he seduces Pussy, has that fantastic escape from the cell and in what is arguably among the best scenes in the series, has a conversation with Goldfinger regarding the scheme. There is also the killing of Solo ("As you said, a pressing engagement."), and of course there is the climax which includes the fight with Oddjob, the deactivation of the bomb, the killing of Goldfinger and the final embrace with Pussy. I don't see how you can say that the film practically stops once Bond reaches the US. ;)

Because the pace slows down. Simple as that, really. Bond spends ages in his cell, gets out and goes straight back. The main plan takes a while to actually get going... it's slower than the first part of the film. Just because there's incident doesn't mean there's pace.
    edited June 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Because the pace slows down. Simple as that, really. Bond spends ages in his cell, gets out and goes straight back. The main plan takes a while to actually get going... it's slower than the first part of the film. Just because there's incident doesn't mean there's pace.
    I guess we have entirely different taste as I didn't mind the slowing down of the pace and love the post-US half just as much as I love the pre-US half. Yyou're right that just because there's incident doesn't mean there's pace but equally just because there is less pace doesn't mean the film is lessened. IMO GF is flawless. (It's one of two Bond film sthat I would describe as flawless along with FRWL.)

I also think that the way Bond left his cell was terrific and the way he came back was also really good as it both led to a magnificent conversation with Goldfinger as well as a very funny scene involving the number of guards that it took to guard Bond.
    edited June 2006
    Bit of a change of tune there, Dan, but I just don't like it slowing down so much- I don't think it works. I don't think there's been a perfect Bond film (although Goldfinger is as close as they got): the most flawless example of this type of movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark to my eye.