The New Willy Wonka movie

General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
Yes, it's a classic, one of those films everyone seen as a kid, and now he is back. The new one is going to be released sometime in 2005.

What do you think of this? Who should play the new Willy Wonka?

My Wonka Choices:

1. Christopher Walken
2. Tim Curry
3. Johnny Depp
4. Maybe someone a bit older like the original Gene Wilder or Gene Hackman. Robin Williams perhaps. Christopher Lloyd?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I really enjoyed Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands --but lately it seems that all he is doing is remaking classic films.

And I have to ask, Why?
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    he has got the jonathan demme disease...willy wonka and demmes doing the manchurian candidate god help us...maybe mark wahlberg for both...i dont mind remakes but agree with frank oz and michael caine only remake poor or mediocre films as they did with bedtime story turning it into dirty rotten scoundrels...as for wonka they better not have cgi oompa loompas but somehow i think they will
  • KissKissBangBangKissKissBangBang Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    It's going to be Johnny Depp.
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    Yes, it certainly looks that way. Johnny Depp was offered the role as Willy Wonka and currently his agent is negotiating a contract with the studio. Hopefully it won't be long till an official announcement is made.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    I think Johnny Depp quite suits the role. It will be interesting to see how the film turns out. Will it beat its great 1975 original?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    The original WW was a big part of my childhood moviegoing experience, and Roald Dahl's original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book was probably the most influential novel of my tender young years; so I'm of two minds here. On one hand, I wonder why they should bother remaking a classic movie (especially since no one can possibly match Gene Wilder's manic Willy); but I'd also be interested to see if Burton can make a film that's more faithful to the Dahl book. So. . .

Oompah loompah doompity dee
    Time will show how good it'll be!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Oompah loompah doompity dee
    Time will show how good it'll be!

Hehe, it will be great to see those little guys running around again...
  • Valentin ZukovskyValentin Zukovsky Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Of those, Robin Williams, Johnny Depp, and Tim Curry would do excellent. Actually, I've never seen more than a few minutes of the original film, but I saw enough of it to know what it's about.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    but I'd also be interested to see if Burton can make a film that's more faithful to the Dahl book. So. . .!
    Me too, that's something I guess.

Also read the second Charlie book as a kid, where the elevator ascends into space, grandparents, beds and all. This got me thinking of another Roald Dahl book, Danny The Champion of the World. It's all about Danny and his father and some wickedly ingenious ways of poaching pheasants. Man, that was a good book.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    O.O' Tom Curry as Willy ^^ *laugh* that would be worth seeing..but i think it will be Johnny...Christopher Walken is creepy enough, he doesnt need a purple suit and brown top hat...O.o i would hide! I love Tim's acting, and Johnny's and ok even Christopher's...yea, thats my input on the matter..
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    I think Tim Curry is creepy actually. Has anyone seen him as PennyWise the Clown in 'Stephen King's IT'(1990)?
    *gasp* pennywise was one of the few clowns im NOT afraid of...^^ you should go rent "Legend." brilliant movie. Tom Cruse and Tim Curry. Tom is like 20 in this movie and plays a forest boy named Jack. Tim plays Darkness...a rather spooky verison of the devil...deep voice, tight abs, HUGE black horns...gigantic hooves...yea, go to www.timcurry.com and find a pic of darkness there ^^

http://www.rockymusic.org/curry/tribute/projects/legend_toy02.jpg just so you dont have to go looking, here is darkness

Actually I believe I have seen that film, is it by any chance the film in which they are trying to save the unicorns, and there are alot of short actors starring in the film.

Tim Curry is red also, is he not?
  • boothroyd13boothroyd13 Winchester, VAPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    Oompah Loompahs scare me. :o
    yes, mr. curry went thro a buff session and came out with foam abs and pounds apon pounds of makeup and costume...^^

Quoting delon64:
    he has got the jonathan demme disease...willy wonka and demmes doing the manchurian candidate god help us...maybe mark wahlberg for both...i dont mind remakes but agree with frank oz and michael caine only remake poor or mediocre films as they did with bedtime story turning it into dirty rotten scoundrels...as for wonka they better not have cgi oompa loompas but somehow i think they will

"The Manchurian Candidate"??? Who the f*** greenlighted that? I also heard that they are planning to remake "The Wild Bunch" (why???)! X-(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Man Candidate could be great though, if instead of Russian paranoia they dealt with paranoia against Islam and made it topical...

Well it's a thought. The climate's not that different in the US.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2003
    Quoting Valentin Zukovsky:
    "The Manchurian Candidate"??? Who the f*** greenlighted that? I also heard that they are planning to remake "The Wild Bunch" (why???)! X-(

Because these two films were both critically acclaimed and successful at the box office.And because of their fame,they're presold titles and don't have to be "pitched" to today's studio executives.No imagination required.Even more importantly,the indiviuals behind such remakes probably think that what made these films work in the original incarnations can somehow be magically recreated once again and by them--which of course,is impossible.It's ego run rampant.

What's next?Maybe The Return of Citizen Kane.

Here's the tagline:"His enemies thought he was dead,but Charlie Kane's back and out for revenge.Because this time it's personal."Starring Mark Wahlberg,John Travolta and Britney Spears.Written by Sylvester Stallone.Directed by McG.Music by Coolio.

W.G.
    Quoting Willie Garvin:

Here's the tagline:"His enemies thought he was dead,but Charlie Kane's back and out for revenge.Because this time it's personal."Starring Mark Wahlberg,John Travolta and Britney Spears.Written by Sylvester Stallone.Directed by McG.Music by Coolio.

W.G.

:)) Just brilliant! And that really reflects how bad modern remakes can be!
  • JaelleJaelle Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:

Because these two films were both critically acclaimed and successful at the box office.And because of their fame,they're presold titles and don't have to be "pitched" to today's studio executives.No imagination required.Even more importantly,the indiviuals behind such remakes probably think that what made these films work in the original incarnations can somehow be magically recreated once again and by them]/i]--which of course,is impossible.It's ego run rampant.

Exactly, well-said. It was bad enuf when I heard about Willie Wonka but then I also heard about a remake for Manchurian Candidate. I just had to roll my eyes and shake my head and think "jeezus, can't these people EVER get a freaking clue?!" That is one of my favorite films but there's just no way it can be duplicated. Yes, they can try to make it topical but they can't duplicate the entire feel and tension and atmosphere of the original. Firstly, the power of black & white films in communicating tension and drama can't be duplicated in color. Secondly, today when they try doing black & white films, it just doesn't work well. The impact isn't there, imo. And who can replace Laurence Harvey, Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury?

Let them come up with something that is topical to today, and an original story.
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    W.G.

Go ahead, Willie, ruin my lunch for me! :s
    (kidding, kidding)

Oh have you heard there's going to be a US TV version of Dr. Zhivago next TV season?
    edited September 2003
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:

Because these two films were both critically acclaimed and successful at the box office.And because of their fame,they're presold titles and don't have to be "pitched" to today's studio executives.No imagination required.Even more importantly,the indiviuals behind such remakes probably think that what made these films work in the original incarnations can somehow be magically recreated once again and by them]/i]--which of course,is impossible.It's ego run rampant.

Exactly, well-said. It was bad enuf when I heard about Willie Wonka but then I also heard about a remake for Manchurian Candidate. I just had to roll my eyes and shake my head and think "jeezus, can't these people EVER get a freaking clue?!" That is one of my favorite films but there's just no way it can be duplicated. Yes, they can try to make it topical but they can't duplicate the entire feel and tension and atmosphere of the original. Firstly, the power of black & white films in communicating tension and drama can't be duplicated in color. Secondly, today when they try doing black & white films, it just doesn't work well. The impact isn't there, imo. And who can replace Laurence Harvey, Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury?

Let them come up with something that is topical to today, and an original story.
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    W.G.

Go ahead, Willie, ruin my lunch for me! :s
    (kidding, kidding)

>>>>My pleasure,Jaelle,anytime... :v<<<<

Oh have you heard there's going to be a US TV version of Dr. Zhivago next TV season?

>>>Yep--with Keira Knightly as Lara.It was made a short while back for British tv.Oh, and the USA network is filming a new version of Spartacus.The hits just keep coming,don't they...Maybe if we're really good, we see yet another remake of Stagecoach,too,plus Miracle on 42nd Street.Can't have too many of them.

And Peter Jackson's upcoming remake of King Kong.I have some hope for that--if only because Jackson's a fan of the original and because he's shown he can handle BIG pictures.Still,the original's impossible to beat.But Jackson's version of K.K. will be MUCH better than the disastrous Dino Di Laurentiis version.

W.G.
    Quoting Jaelle:

You refer to a completely new series, and not the 2002 British series with Hans Matheson, Sam Neill and Maryam D'Abo, I assume.... :)

I liked that series, though I missed a couple of the few episodes there were....
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    i believe denzel washington is bennet marco and liev schrieber is raymond shaw with meryl streep as his mother...unreal...as for the wild bunch a film as near to mainstream perfection as humanly possible...how can it be improved?some remakes i would like to see are some of the hammer titles that were touted around a few years back especially the devil rides out which had richard donner attached...a classic of its type but with potential for improvement with modern technology...although that black devil genie always scared the hell out of me as he is
    Writer/director/actor John Huston used to say that the only films worth remaking were those that weren't very good the first time around.Of course,he didn't follow his own rule.His version of The Maltese Falcon(1941) is the 4th adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's novel.While the 2nd and 3rd attempt(Satan Met a Lady)aren't especially interesting,the original 1931 production--also called The Maltese Falcon has a unique charm all its own and,in it's own way,IMO is as faithful to Hammett as Huston's movie was.

The Burton production of Willy Wonka will probably be darker than the first film and feature some memorable set designs.

Christopher Lee has long wanted to remake The Devil Rides Out repeating his role as the heroic Duc de Richelou.As noted,this could work,although the original with an outstanding performance by Charles Gray as the demonic Alaister Crowley-inspired satanist,will be a hard act to follow.

Denzel Washington?Liev Schrieber?Meryl Streep?This has to be a joke...

W.G.
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    not sure if this film needs to be remade, though i appreciate the retelling of a classic for a new generation. though gene wilders portrayel was excellent, i think depp (one of the greatest actors of his generation) would be an excellent choice to play willy wonka...
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • JaelleJaelle Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Quoting fire and ice:
    not sure if this film needs to be remade, though i appreciate the retelling of a classic for a new generation. though gene wilders portrayel was excellent, i think depp (one of the greatest actors of his generation) would be an excellent choice to play willy wonka...

If they hire Depp, I'll definitely be curious enough to go see it. If they make a really quirky remake with its own unique, fun stamp on it, then it might be worth the effort.
    Whoever they choose I am also likely to see it purely out of interest. Being perfectly honest....I still enjoy the old one now and again!
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Because these two films were both critically acclaimed and successful at the box office.And because of their fame,they're presold titles and don't have to be "pitched" to today's studio executives.No imagination required.Even more importantly,the indiviuals behind such remakes probably think that what made these films work in the original incarnations can somehow be magically recreated once again and by them--which of course,is impossible.It's ego run rampant.

W.G.

Actually, "The Wild Bunch" tanked - at least domestically - but obviously it's critically acclaimed.

LOVE your idea for the "Return of Citizen Kane". :)) I'll have to think of one for "The Wild Bunch" . . . {[]

Starring Leonard DiCaprio as Pike. How's that? :))
    edited July 2005
    Need to report:

GEOFFREY HOLDER is in the film!

Scanning down the cast list, our very own Baron Samedi narrates the film! How cool is that?

Whoa, just realised that two topics have been created since I made this one, and I don't know which topic to report this news in? Perhaps the others should be closed then.

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=22829&cpage=1
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=18153

All I can say is that I'll be listening out for his voice!