Scene from TLD

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
I think that TLD is a good bond film, but there are two things I don't like. The first is something that has been discussed on ajb before:- the weak villains. But I don't think my second reason has been discussed yet:- I think that the scene where Bond and Kara are sliding across the ice on the cello case is very unrealistic. I know that "Larger than life" is always entertaining, but I think this was too far. Anyone agree?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• kmartkmart Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    I saw some pics of the ice-slide pre-release and feared it would turn into what I think of as a typical Roger Moore/Bond over-the-top moment, but I think the sequence does work in the finished film, largely because we are seeing the lead actors in real snow for the whole sequence.

Sometimes a dose of reality can go a long way toward verisimilitude, whereas if they'd started doing lots of studio process shots for the cello ride, it'd have just turned into a joke like so many other O-T-T Bond chases.

I have more of a problem with the process work for the driving that PRECEDES the cello chase ... probably because amid all the studio-shot stuff, there is one shot (with lots of reflections on the windshield) with the principals that looks to have been done on location and makes the RP stuff stick out, very jarring. Pick a style and stick with it, but intercutting studio and daylight ain't a wise course.
    "Achievement is it's own reward - pride obscures it."
    Major Garland Briggs, in TWIN PEAKS
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    That's a good point you make Jarvio. I think the purpose of the Cello case ski ride was to inject a mimimal amount the humour into the film. When Bond waves his passport at the Austrain border guards and he and Kara go whizzing past I had to chuckle. I think it is an amusing scene.

With respect to Dalton, humour was never his strong point, so the nominal amount that has to go into any Bond movie had to be put in elsewhere. In LTK, Q got a well deserved large role in the film for this purpose.

The cello case scene isn't all that is played for laughs. Art Malik for instance is a little over the top and Joe Don Baker is to an even greater degree.
  • HammerfistHammerfist In my own little worldPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    And of course who can forget the despicable (IMO) Rosika Milkos scene... I have to say that I really hate that one and IMO it almost kills the movie's beginning.
  • smiert spionomsmiert spionom Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I thought about the exact same thing when I watched it yesterday; it is unrealistic, but the thing I think is unrealistic is that they never get hit by the men on skies. sure, you can sit on a chellothing and ski sown a hill, but it's wierd that at least ten gunmen don't hit you with automatic rifles and **** like that.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Personally, I thought the scene was awesome. It really made use of a great minimalist spy trick combined with some elements of fun and fantasy. The toss of the cello over the bar that Bond and Kara duck underneath and the line "We've nothing to declare!" make this an unforgetable Bond moment. I thought it looked great too, you couldn't tell if there was a sled underneath the cello. Does anyone know how they pulled that off? I haven't watched the making of the film, it would be interesting to find out.
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, I must say that that scene doesnt strike me as unrealistic, but I gotta say that the scene in AVTAK where Bond "Surfs" on the snow with the Beach Boys music is the single most cringe-inducing moment of the series!
  • BrosBond007BrosBond007 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I agree with Henderson.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Quoting The Dove:
    Does anyone know how they pulled that off? I haven't watched the making of the film, it would be interesting to find out.

I think the case had skis under it, and Kara was controlling it (Bond had the cello and all) It appernetly had terrible steering, and most of the shots of it are short because it would turn or accelerate too often.

I have to say, its a great ending to the whole sequence. I laughed when I first saw it, and it was a very Bondesque moment with the passport. Also, I personally think that sometimes a small amount of humour in a movie helps make the darker and more serious scenes more effective.

Even if that could never happen in real life, its alot more believable than anything like the banner, pipeline or God forbid Ice racer/cliff scene in the lateset ones.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I think that TLD is a good bond film, but there are two things I don't like. The first is something that has been discussed on ajb before:- the weak villains. But I don't think my second reason has been discussed yet:- I think that the scene where Bond and Kara are sliding across the ice on the cello case is very unrealistic. I know that "Larger than life" is always entertaining, but I think this was too far. Anyone agree?
    I wondered how far they got it would be quite a long way to Vienna on a cello case
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    I feel the same way. I would have preferred the entire chase sequence to be sobered up. But all in all, it doesn't ruin the film for me. I would sooner do without the Barry Manilow exchange with Monneypenny... That's really painful.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
    I never liked Caroline Bliss in these 2 films as we have got to know Lois Maxwell over the years but i liked Samantha Bonds portrayal of Moneypenny Bliss is attractive and all that
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I think every Bond film is entitled to one action/adventure moment of silliness, and the cello scene was it for TLD. As Hammerfist said, the Rosika Milkos is a lot more silly and annoying (and unbelievable).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,583Chief of Staff
    Speaking from experience, a double-bass case would have been more realistic than a cello case!
  • farscapeakfarscapeak Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    It was very much a scene belonging in a Roger Moore bond rather than Dalton bond. Dalton can do comedy as his brilliant performance in Hot Fuzz proved but he didn't want to do it for Bond.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    My understanding is TLD was originally written with Roger in mind. When they went with Dalton instead, the script was re-worked for Dalton, but some Roger moments remained, like the slide down the hill.
    This is my favourite Tim Dalton Bond I know the Villans are weak but I pefer it than LTK.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,330MI6 Agent
    My understanding is TLD was originally written with Roger in mind. When they went with Dalton instead, the script was re-worked for Dalton, but some Roger moments remained, like the slide down the hill.

This was my understanding of it also, and this is clearly a Roger Moore scene. It doesnt ruin the film for me, there are other wider issues to think of here, but it sits uneasily with all the serious stuff going on around it.