Been to a Bond filming location?

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    It's easier when you live in Iceland. :) BTW, welcone icebond!
  • icebondicebond Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Quoting The Cat:
    It's easier when you live in Iceland. :) BTW, welcone icebond!

Thanks...well it is pretty hard getting to the place.
  • osmir007osmir007 Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    edited January 2005
    amsterdam(DAF)
  • BondovBondov Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Unless they film in South Dakota or anywhere around there, I'm pretty much out of luck.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Quoting Bondov:
    Unless they film in South Dakota or anywhere around there, I'm pretty much out of luck.

You never know. Mt. Rushmore could be featured one day.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • BondovBondov Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    /\
    []

Ooh, good point. Way to keep my spirits up, Martini! ;)
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I seem to have been to a fair few in my time - atm I am working on LALD, as I have been in New Orleans and New York recently. Golden gate bridge and the rest of SF last year, plus when I was younger I went often to the location of Main Strike mine.

I was in Vienna late last year in the Prater Park.

The secret entrance to MI6 is my most recent London location and I drove past the College of Arms just before Christmas. And I visited Stoke Poges earlier in the summer (not to play golf :( ).

I have yet to go to the Bahamas or the Caribbean, but one day ... one day
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I just came back from a holiday in Florida, and took the opportunity to visit some of the Key West locations from LTK - the Harbor Lights (Barrelhead) Bar, Mallory Square, places like that. Strangest one was finding Krest's ratty warehouse is now a fish restaurant!

I've also been all over London in search of filming locations (the book James Bond's London is an invaluable resource!), plus on various trips I've checked out locations in Paris, New York, San Francisco and Amsterdam. Put it this way: my poor partner knows that if we go on holiday, he's going to be dragged around in search of some obscure back alley that Tanya Roberts once popped up in!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Let's see. . .London, the Swiss Alps, Las Vegas, New York, New Orleans, Paris, and San Francisco. Not as well traveled as some other Bond fans here, I see!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Heck I forgot I'd been to Las Vegas! My bf was extremely amused at the fact that I wanted to take a picture of a petrol station (the one where "Curly" works). He kept saying, "We have petrol stations in England, you know" :)
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Quoting Bondov:

You can go visit the missle silo in North Dakota that blows up in DAF!
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Quoting justvisiting:
    You can go visit the missle silo in North Dakota that blows up in DAF!

I fear that might have just been a model shot with some blue screen work at Pinewood, but I would just being mean ... ;)
  • little nellie1little nellie1 Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    I have been to The Strip in Vegas. This is probably the only location I am going to get to see.
  • wet nelliewet nellie Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Quoting JACKIE:
    Si, I cant believe there was ever a time that you were NOT a Bond fan?! Surely you were Born into fandom inherited down a long and noble bloodline of pure bred Bondonians created by EON itself?

I have been to London many many many times (well it only takes me 20 mins to get there). I used to go to Holliwell Bay for holidays when I was a kid, thats where they filmed the beach and surfing scenes in DAD.

My mate Chris' uncles worked as plane handlers and where consultants on the pre-titles of TND, the plane Bond is in was theirs actually. He brought photos into school years ago to show me the shots they had taken of Pierce, brown leather jacket and all. In fact when Pierce was in the cockpit standing and shooting the plane started to move and his uncle got the honour to shout at Bond to "GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE PEDAL!"

The surfing scenes in DAD were actually filmed in Hawaii, not London - don't think they get the killer waves like Hawaii!
  • roger moores swept 8roger moores swept 8 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Stoke Poges Golf Club - Goldfinger
    London - Every film!
    Paris - avtak
    Corfu - FYEO
    Pinewood - Does that count?
  • ScorupcoScorupco Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    London, thats about it I think. :(
  • mythrenegademythrenegade Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    I've been to Sugar Loaf in Brazil, a location in Moonraker. It's very cool watching Moonraker because I was there twice, in 1977 and 1985. Moonraker was filmed in between them so it is exactly as I remember it.

Living in the US I've been to Vegas many times (i live three hours away) and San Francisco.

Locations I would like to visit: Piz Gloria and Istanbul, although I imagine the latter is quite different now...

Joel
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    London, Amsterdam, Hawaii & Las Vegas (and Pinewood Studios) :)
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    I think my only one is the strip in Vegas...oh wait.....LAX (which was also in DAF) and San Francisco (AVTAK), New York (LALD)

I would love to visit Hong Kong, Cortina, Piz Gloria, Phuket, and Corfu.

PS Speaking of Hong Kong...I hear the original Bottoms Up Club form the film has moved to Kawloon Island.
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    edited September 2005
    I have been to San Fransisco (AVTAK) and I frequent Nassau on an annual vacation (THUNDERBALL). I know that the film was shot in Nassau and Port Lacaya, and I have been to both, and also I went to Coral Harbour, just for the sake of it. Even though the film crew never touched Coral Harbour. They also filmed briefly on Cable Beach on Paradise Island, I went there, too. I also have been to Hong Kong Harbour and Kowloon (Both featured in DAD novel).
  • Sean Connery JB007Sean Connery JB007 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    I have been to
    San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf (AVTAK)
    New York (LALD)
    Berne, Switzerland (OHMSS)
    Nassau, Bahamas (TB, NSNA)
    Fontainbleau Hilton Hotel, Miami Beach (GF)

Those are the ones I can think of. There may be more (especially in Switzerland).
    Does anyone know a website with the exact locations where each Bond film was shot?

I am planning to go to the Bahamas again if CR will be shot there since it's only a half hour flight away.
  • PaulWestonPaulWeston Midlands, UKPosts: 119MI6 Agent
    edited November 2005
    Good websites to obtain Bond locations:

http://www.locationspage.com (£8ish registration fee but it's an excellent, detailed site with photos and well worth the money)
    http://www.007locations.com (only has a few locations)
    http://www.movie-locations.com (only has some films)
    http://www.universalexports.net
    http://www.famouslocations.com (£5 registration fee, not tried)

I'm currently compiling a collated list (with pictures when possible) so if anyone has any other sites I would be grateful if you would pass these on.
  • miles meservymiles meservy Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I've mentioned it in other parts of the forum, I have been to all the New York Locations in Live and Let Die. Just for fun, when I pass one of the locations, I put the Soundtrack CD into the car stereo. My friends who are Bond fans always enjoy this. The Pan Am Terminal at Kennedy Airport in Queens is now the Delta Terminal. The portion of the FDR Drive in Lower Manhattan, where Bond has to take the wheel of the auto from the back seat is the same, as is the crash location near Water Street. The drive North through Central Park leading up to Lenox Ave with a wrong turn on 125th St looks the same, and the Filet O Sole restaurant at 142nd St and Lenox Ave is presently abandoned. The area is STILL a sh*thole. Until about 10 years ago the back alleys looked exactly like they did in the film. Flemming wasn't far off when he wrote the chapter "Seventh Avenue" in LALD. Yeah, I know that the British version has a different title for that chapter, but if you know that then you know what I am talking about.
  • armourerarmourer United KingdomPosts: 41MI6 Agent
    Thus far: UK: London (College of Arms OHMSS/Vauxhall Cross), Eilean Dolan Castle TWINE, Amsterdam, Las Vegas DAF, New Orleans, New York LALD, San Francisco AVTAK
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    wet nellie wrote:
    The surfing scenes in DAD were actually filmed in Hawaii, not London - don't think they get the killer waves like Hawaii!

The beach scenes were filmed in Britain- only the sea was filmed in Hawaii. In fact pretty much all of DAD was filmed in Britain. Travelogue, my arse!

I've been to the Main Strike Mine from AVTAK- it's in Sussex. They even still have the Zorin mine carts lying about!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Tracy wrote:
    When I was much younger I practically lived part time in Hong Kong, where my grandmother's old apartment was right across the Bottoms Up club of TMWTGG fame. Sometimes we'd have tea at the Peninsula Hotel, which was a real treat for me. In those days I think they still had the green Rolls Royces at the Peninsula.

They still do! I was there only a month or so ago!
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Just back from Spain during which we took a trip to Gibraltar. Interesting place with appalling 60's UK architecture in the flats as you come through customs. The film makers carefully avoided these aspects when thay used it for filming in TLD!

Don't you find it surprising when locations don't make the most of their Bond connections for tourist purposes. I mean, surely an 'as featured in', picture board with a montage of images would be a good idea. Is there any Bond location that does this?
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Golden Gate Bridge and City Hall in AVTAK. I live near both of them.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:
    Golden Gate Bridge and City Hall in AVTAK. I live near both of them.

Ah yes the god ole GGB. I'll be near there tomorrow, maye get a pic or two minus the Zorin blimp (hopefully)
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • astonmosastonmos Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Hi, of the most inspiring locations I would recommend going to Meteora, in Greece, one of the locations in for FYEO. the monks really do live on top of these strange pillar mountains. the bond set/monastery is still there and derelict, tho its a climbing job if you want to take a look.