Trevanian novels

frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
edited December 2003 in Off Topic Chat
I was wondering if anybody has read some novels by Trevanian? I recently read the novel "Shibumi" by this mysterious author (nobody seems to know for sure whether this author is male, female, or actually a group of people writing under a pseudonym), and I must say it is a classic, the best suspense novel I have read in a long time. Trevanian's skills as a writer are tremendous: his (I'm assuming a gender here) characters are memorable, three-dimensional human beings, his humor is infectious and yet sharp as a razor, and his knowledge of his subject matters is second to none. The only issue with "Shibumi" is that its main protagonist, a man named Nicholai Hel, is a sophisticated assassin, Russian by birth, but Japanese by culture (because he was raised in Japan), who has very negative, prejudiced views of the West and America in particular (as a result of his lover being killed by the American bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and of his being tortured by Americans). If one can look past Hel's anti-American views, this is one tremendously enjoyable book to read.

BTW, Trevanian also wrote "The Summer of Katya", "The Main", "The Eiger Sanction" (the latter was made into a movie featuring, if I recall correctly, Clint Eastwood).

Comments

• frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info, Stansfield. I couldn't find his real name when I did a search for Trevanian on Amazon recently. Did he write a lot under the Whitaker or Seare names? There are only 5 or 6 Trevanian books, and I'm sure I'll go through those in no time :) .

I highly recommend "Shibumi". Some parts of it do read like a Bond novel.
  • kmartkmart Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    I hadn't heard of the other two names he'd written under, but thanks for the info!

Not all of Trevanian's stuff is heavy into spy adventure, but to tell the truth, as much as I love SHIBUMI and LOO AND EIGER, I think the others, like INCIDENT AT 20 MILE, which is a kind of western, and THE MAIN, a cop story that I just love, and SUMMER OF KATYA, which is as tragic as anything I've ever read, are even better.

I've had MAIN, EIGER, LOO and SHIBUMI in a 4in1 hardcover volume for over 20 years now, rereading them often enough to cause the front of the book to fall right off, and I own INCIDENT, HOT NIGHT (the more recent short story collection) and KATYA in HC as well.

There are other novelists who I used to read heavily, like Bill Granger with his NOVEMBER MAN spy novels, which started wonderful and went to Hell, but Trevanian always seems to be very good and very rereadable. I think he is the only novelist around that I always buy hardcovers for.
    "Achievement is it's own reward - pride obscures it."
    Major Garland Briggs, in TWIN PEAKS
    I also love The Summer of Katya as well. It's amazing that the same man who wrote that can turn around and write Shibumi, since they are so different.

I have been trying to look for Death Dance, a collection of short stories assembled by Trevanian, but have had no luck in the local Borders and B & N stores.
    I just finished The Loo Sanction, and I've got to say, that is one heck of a spy thriller. The violence and brutality, mixed with large doses of humor and irony, produce a very potent blend indeed. The ending is a little over-the-top, but Trevanian carried it off with such style that I loved it. The hero running around naked, blasting away with his tricked-out .45 revolvers, is just one of the many incredible images of the final chapter.

However, Trevanian did take some cheap shots at the James Bond legend. When told that most MI6 personnel preferred "Italian automatics" when it comes to firearms, his hero replied: "I know they do. They're deadly as far as you can throw them." :) Then, upon being told that they are less bulky than his choice, .45 revolvers, he said: "Listen, when I bring the guns along, I won't be going to a party. And I won't care if the handles match my cummerbund. I am not MI6."

Now, I respect Trevanian's skills as a writer, but he is treading on holy ground here ... :)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Spoiler..........

Finally, a group I can ask this question: In the climax when Hel goes on board the Concorde to intercept the villain, the whole plane was filled with secret service agents posing as passengers in a large ruse to trick the villain. After they land, the agents are herded off the plane, but did I understand it correctly that they were all on their way to be killed to keep the events involving the villain on the plane secret?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Yes, you understood it correctly, superado. Sounds a little extreme, doesn't it? But then again, I have the impression that Trevanian doesn't hold secret service agents (no matter what the nationality) in very high regard, so it probably didn't occur to him that killing off a whole planeload of them was too drastic :) . One thing that can be quite irritating about Trevanian is he sounds quite egotistical and opinionated, and those characteristics carry over to his main characters, like Nicholai Hel and Jonathan Hemlock. However, the man does have style, and lots of it.
  • Cpt Nathan AlgrenCpt Nathan Algren Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Old topic, I realize . . . but bump.

And the reason I bump is that I have been searching everywhere for a place to discuss Trevanian's novels, and, as I was searching through the forums, out of the blue I ran across this--probably the only joinable Internet discussion on Trevanian in existence, as far as I can tell.

Recently, by the suggestion of a friend, I read through SHIBUMI and THE SUMMER OF KATYA. I took my time with them, savoring both for as long as they lasted, reflecting on the peculiar similarities I share with the protagonists in each (hence why my friend recommended I read them). Both books, I've concluded, are tragic, but I'll limit my comments to SHIBUMI.

*WARNING: Possible Spoilers*

I'm disconcerted to read the opinions readers have on the Nicholai Hel character. Many of them seem to view him in an exceedingly positive light, as a blue print for finding peace and tranquility. One reviewer on Amazon writes: "I discovered Trevanian and 'Shibumi' in high school, and I must confess that it completely changed my life. I vowed to live my life as Nicolai Hel would have, had he been a teen-ager in Utah in the 1980's. Happily, it worked out."

Such reviews ignore what Hel really is: a man transformed by his life experiences into a ruthless psychopath. In reality--and this will sound harsh--Hel is no different from all the Hitlers and V-tech killers out there: by using his ideology, he justifies killing human beings. (Though manifest throughout the book, a fine example of this can be seen at the end of the second-to-last chapter of the book.)

There's much irony in Hel's character, too. For instance, he criticizes the Western "merchant mentality" while ignoring his own adherence to that very mindset--just look at his profession: assassin for the highest payer. Or again, he constructs for himself a great chateau to live in, not unlike the abhorrent American businessman with his gaudy mansion (who gets criticized at one point in the narrative).

What's so tragic is that Hel, as we know, is a genius, in possession of incredible gifts. And look at how he has used them! He ceases to play Go, his extensive knowledge of languages is wasted, as is his skill in philosophy, mathematics, etc. etc.

Hel could have done all sorts of things. But, due to the tremulous life through which he endured, he went down another path. There are those whose genius is brought out by their baggage and those who don't handle it so well. It's all in how one handles their life baggage. Beethoven comes to mind as but one example of someone who, despite grief and hardship, managed to conduct his genius; indeed, he performed his greatest piece of music after he went deaf! Nicholai Hel could have allowed his life baggage to evoke the best of his abilities, but he allowed himself to brood and sink into a muck of hatred.

Out of curiosity, what did readers think of SHIBUMI's ending? Like much the rest of the book, the ending is deliciously subtle and it is easy to pass over the tragedy contained therein. (Hint: many seem to miss the significance of those last few lines.)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited May 2007
    I love of all of Trevanian's works---The Eiger Sanction and The Loo Sanction are always the first two toward which I gravitate---due both to the compelling character of Jonathan Hemlock, and Clint Eastwood's excellent 'Eiger' film---but I also enjoyed Shibumi and The Summer of Katya.

Very compelling. I recommend these works to any fan of suspense-thrillers {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM